Getting to Know Each Other --- October Edition

TGP

We didn't. The kids had school and we worked as normal.

Not planning to celebrate a crackpot genocidal slaver who stubbornly insisted for his entire life that he had reached Asia and that the Earth was smaller than everyone else* knew and had calculated since Eratosthenes worked it out in ancient Greece but lucked into land in the middle anyway so his crew didn't die months out to sea.

The "everyone else thought the Earth was flat" nonsense was a smug Victorian myth.

*for a given value of "everyone else". Every educated person who cared about it, anyway.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 8

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't. The kids had school and we worked as normal.

Not planning to celebrate a crackpot genocidal slaver who stubbornly insisted for his entire life that he had reached Asia and that the Earth was smaller than everyone else* knew and had calculated since Eratosthenes worked it out in ancient Greece but lucked into land in the middle anyway so his crew didn't die months out to sea.

The "everyone else thought the Earth was flat" nonsense was a smug Victorian myth.

*for a given value of "everyone else". Every educated person who cared about it, anyway.

I will just put you and Guindy as voting "useless" ::D: then.
  • Like 6

Question for Oct 13: Did you "celebrate" a holiday yesterday, if so, honoring what? or who? and was it a useless one?

No, I did not go buy a car or a cart full of useless junk just because of a pretend holiday. Pretty much everything Pingo said about said holiday.

If they wanted to make it interesting they could change it to "Norse Explorer Day" since they found the continent waaaaaay before Columbus. And they didn't make a mess of it either.

• Like 4

Question for Oct 13: Did you "celebrate" a holiday yesterday, if so, honoring what? or who? and was it a useless one?

Didn't celebrate anything.  But the whole family had the day off since it's a state holiday.  I don't mind, it often means I get a long weekend for my birthday.

• Like 2

No, I did not go buy a car or a cart full of useless junk just because of a pretend holiday. Pretty much everything Pingo said about said holiday.If they wanted to make it interesting they could change it to "Norse Explorer Day" since they found the continent waaaaaay before Columbus. And they didn't make a mess of it either.

Increasing numbers of cities and states are changing the holiday to "Indigenous Peoples Day" or something like.

• Like 1

OQ13: My daughter's daycare was closed, and my wife took the day off to take care of her...I went to work.  The upside was that the traffic was supremely light.

As to the holiday, I abhor Christopher Columbus, as I learn more about his character, I really wish we never celebrated him.  He's not worthy of celebration.

• Like 3

This weekend we celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving, a.k.a. "Smart Thanksgiving", because we have it before it REALLY gets cold. In fact, it was a t-shirt and shorts weekend with the tops rolled down. I spent the weekend with my wife's family, and on Monday I was at a friend's for an all-day session of Pathfinder. Good times all around.

• Like 4

No, I did not go buy a car or a cart full of useless junk just because of a pretend holiday. Pretty much everything Pingo said about said holiday.If they wanted to make it interesting they could change it to "Norse Explorer Day" since they found the continent waaaaaay before Columbus. And they didn't make a mess of it either.

Increasing numbers of cities and states are changing the holiday to "Indigenous Peoples Day" or something like.

I found out, when I read the paper this morning, that my city is one of those.

If only we could get that change made all over :devil:

This weekend we celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving, a.k.a. "Smart Thanksgiving", because we have it before it REALLY gets cold. In fact, it was a t-shirt and shorts weekend with the tops rolled down. I spent the weekend with my wife's family, and on Monday I was at a friend's for an all-day session of Pathfinder. Good times all around.

But... if you don't have it in November how do you kick off your Christmas shopping the next day at an ungodly hour?! Or start shopping at an even more ungodly hour... just after dinner ::o:

Aren't ALL holidays for shopping? ::o:

Just pretend that last bit was purple :;):

• Like 6

13th - Daaaang. +1 to Red and Pingo for getting right to the point!  :;):  I agree!! I went to work as usual, but I did leave a little early so we could check out apartments. The office was half empty anyways. I think most folks just want the day off, and don't care about or know what the day off is even for!

Edit: And of course, happy Thanksgiving to y'all up north! I'm glad there was some good weather for celebrating!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5