Getting to Know Each Other --- October Edition

TGP

Question for Oct 13: Did you "celebrate" a holiday yesterday, if so, honoring what? or who? and was it a useless one?

I celebrated Pumpkin Spice Day* by taking half the day off and drinking a Venti Pumpkin Spice Mocha, eating a pumpkin donut, and enjoying an awesome Imperial Stout w/ Pumpkin called Southern Tier Warlock.

*pumpkin spice has done much more for global happiness than Columbus ever did.

• Like 6

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DH had to work yesterday, and since he had to work all weekend we didn't really have anything to celebrate. 

I acknowleged  that Columbus made a difficult journey during a time when many others didn't believe it could/should be attempted, and his rediscovery and exploration of the Americas  was a trigger point that touched off an important era in our history. 

• Like 2

Guindy inspires today's question...

It appears that half the job took today off because the corps is out due to the most pointless holiday ever*. It's a ghost town around here. I mean, usually I'm rather fond of ghost towns...but on a Monday morning, it just makes me want to be back in bed.

ETA: *in America. I just saw that today is also Canadian Thanksgiving, which I was not intending to besmirch. I was referring to Columbus day. Which I think should be replaced with Columbo Day, that would be far more fun.

Yesterday was a holiday (for some). But not necessarily the same holiday for all that did celebrate it. So an Italian, working for Spaniards, found a few islands, full of 'Indians', so-called, because he mistakenly thought he had sailed all the way to the East coast of India, somewhere near the fabled mouth of the Ganges....and some of us got a holiday out of the deal.

No Mail..! :mellow:  

I heard on radio some people celebrated Indigenous Americans Day.  :bday: ?  :unsure: So...

Glad I could be far more inspiring for a day than Columbus. Perhaps we should instead celebrate Guindyloo Day  ::P: 

I saw a bunch of pictures yesterday with people saying the proper way to celebrate Columbus day is to go to someone else's house, kick the door in and declare that it is now your home. Said pictures brought much joy to my heart, but they were all pretty colourful, so I won't post any of them here. ::P:

• Like 5

Question for Oct 13: Did you "celebrate" a holiday yesterday, if so, honoring what? or who? and was it a useless one?

This weekend we celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving, a.k.a. "Smart Thanksgiving", because we have it before it REALLY gets cold. In fact, it was a t-shirt and shorts weekend with the tops rolled down. I spent the weekend with my wife's family, and on Monday I was at a friend's for an all-day session of Pathfinder. Good times all around.

What?!  You have a Canadian Thanksgiving already?  I thought proper Canadian Thanksgiving was celebrated in Florida!   :poke:  ::P:  

• Like 1

I celebrated Pumpkin Spice Day* by taking half the day off and drinking a Venti Pumpkin Spice Mocha, eating a pumpkin donut, and enjoying an awesome Imperial Stout w/ Pumpkin called Southern Tier Warlock.

*pumpkin spice has done much more for global happiness than Columbus ever did.

If you can find it you may want to try adding New Holland Ichabod to the next observance of this holiday :P

• Like 2

Not really, and yes pretty useless. Yesterday was a day of confusion for us. It was supposed to be a federal holiday (right?), but only some things acted like it. There was no postal delivery, banks were open but for limited hours, and there was school. There was also trash pick up. We didn't take our trash down Sunday night thinking it would be delayed for the holiday; it wasn't. That sucked. We tried to take our eBay store shipping to the USPS, but they were closed. My daughter stayed home from Preschool for being sick, but we thought there was no school anyways. That there was school was surprising, but didn't really matter. 

• Like 1

Question for Oct 12: Is there a game that has gone out of print that you would like to see reissued & produced once again?

I would love to see the Agents of Gaming games Babylon 5 Wars and GROPOS resurrected. They could easily be given different themes to remove the IP issues.
I played B5 Wars once. We played through one turn of Severed Dreams and thankfully the Churchill was destroyed. Two hours of my life I'll never get back. A Call to Arms, OTOH, is a game I'd be willing to play again.

There are a couple of OOP CCGs I'd like to see remade (B5CCG being one of them), but they'd probably need enough revamping that my old cards would be useless, so I'm not sure how good an idea that really is.

So... We have different tastes then.

I did not mourn the passing of ACTA.

• Like 1

Question for Oct 12: Is there a game that has gone out of print that you would like to see reissued & produced once again?

Computer: City of Heroes. Of course, if that happened, ya'll may not see me again. :ph34r:

I'll see you in Praetoria. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Had the day off and spent it with family. Our school district called it "Fall Day."

As for CoH/V, I played that game from beta through most of everything  (I think I left for a totsl of 6-8 months before it went free, then returned). I would love to see it return. I would settle for the character builder...that thing was great! I have about a dozen 50s, but my mains were eiyher radiation or kinetic controllers or defenders  (Faithful Fans of Fallout and Pinball Wizards!)

• Like 2

Computer: City of Heroes. Of course, if that happened, ya'll may not see me again. :ph34r:

If it came back, I might take a week off of work to enjoy it...seriously. 

• Like 3

If it came back, I might take a week off of work to enjoy it...seriously. 

I could get into that. I had a dark/dark corrupter that kicked elf. 

• Like 3