Help identifying the name of a "Water Unicorn"

scipio.au

Hi all,

My wife recently finished painting an older miniature that I bought her years ago. It's basically a "Water unicorn", but I'm trying to ID it before posting pics (so I can post it nicely as a finished, painted model, rather than as a "please ID this figure" post. I was hoping that some of the D&D experts here might be able to tell me the D&D name and perhaps the "Reaper Miniatures" name of such creatures so I can find and ID the model. I'm not 100% sure it's a Reaper model (it's pretty old) but it's either Reaper or possibly Ral Partha. I don't think it's old enough to be Grenadier, but who knows?

many thanks!

• Like 1

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. seems to be something different. Hippocampus (according to google images, anyway) seems to have the hindquarters of a fish. The model I have is best described as a horse-bodied Unicorn (including mono-horn), though with scales.

Perhaps a ki'rin? Chinese unicorn. Looks more like a seahorsy-lion than an equine.

Thank you! That's it.

It's this model (not hers - I'll photograph hers and get it up later today or tonight.) Now I just need to ID the manufacturer (and possibly the sculptor)
kirin_miniature_with_base_by_namingway-d

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help. Gotta love this community!

...and here we are. Thanks eBay!

Ral Partha KI-RIN 02-951

Not a worry mate - I appreciate the help either way. :)
  • Like 5

Heh, and here I was wondering if someone had done a miniature for the Ech-Ushkya. (An Irish horse monster that used to pose as a pony, then drown anyone silly enough to try and ride it. Like a phooka or a kelpie, only nastier.)   

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* I immediately recognized the Ral Partha Ki Rin... go me.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1

Heh, and here I was wondering if someone had done a miniature for the Ech-Ushkya. (An Irish horse monster that used to pose as a pony, then drown anyone silly enough to try and ride it. Like a phooka or a kelpie, only nastier.)   

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* I immediately recognized the Ral Partha Ki Rin... go me.

I think a Nightmare figure, suitably painted, would work for a Ech-Ushkya....

I as well, as I have that figure, still unpainted.....

As well as Ral Partha's other Kirin

George