I've also had a lot of trouble with Armory white primer. It consistently goes on grainy, and tends to rub off way easier than other primers I've used.

I like Rustoleum Painter's Touch white primer. It goes on nice and smooth; the only thing you have to worry about is avoiding over-priming. It's also cheap. You can get a can of it at Home Depot for 3-4$.

Go to your local automotive store and get the Duplicolor Flat Sandable Primer. Way better than GW and at half the price.

Word.

Best spray primer I ever used. Sure, Floquil or Tamiya are a tad smoother, but Duplicolor sticks early and often and doesn't come off. It works fine in humidity and smoothes over micro-pitting on the mini. I realized how much I missed it when I had to use Floquil to prep some minis for my classes at Reapercon. It pooled in the recesses and took forever to dry...

Later,

Laszlo

Hello,

I have a background in Chemcial engineering.

A little Chem info on primer.

Primer is made up of tiny little particles, microscopic actualy, of solid material. This allows the primer to grip the metal better than paint. Its the same with the Tamiya, its just the grain is much finer.

The "fuzzy" look everyone is describing here is a result of bad priming form, not bad primer. If you hold the can to far, or do passes to quick, the primer will actually dry in the air, and the particles will clump together sticking to the mini. This is what causes primer to flake or rub off when you handel a primer mini. It also explains why GW "primer" (which is actaully just paint in a can, I had it confirmed by the company) doesnt come off when you handel it, because it is made purely of liquid.

Give primers like that another shot, but make sure you read the directions. Hold the can no more than a fot away and make sure you primer in cooler, non humid conditions. Also if it is too cold it will distrupt it.

Chris

I have to agree with you. I paint using an HVLP system for a living and you're totally right about the distance you hold it away from the miniature affecting the fuzzy texture. I use Armory white all the time, and though I do know the expierence they're all talking about, personally having enough spraying experience, I've learned the proper techniques through the years and know that it is indeed the person priming, not the primer. An experienced painter can spray with the most archaic of spray cans/nozzles. I'm not saying that everyone is "doing it wrong", but they're probably just not using the proper technique for armory branded primer. I also have the Duplicolor sandable primer and I personally think that one goes on much thicker and takes away some of the detail (after all, it is sandable primer, it's purpose is to go on thicker so you can sand before your topcoats)

I have to agree with you. I paint using an HVLP system for a living and you're totally right about the distance you hold it away from the miniature affecting the fuzzy texture. I use Armory white all the time, and though I do know the expierence they're all talking about, personally having enough spraying experience, I've learned the proper techniques through the years and know that it is indeed the person priming, not the primer. An experienced painter can spray with the most archaic of spray cans/nozzles. I'm not saying that everyone is "doing it wrong", but they're probably just not using the proper technique for armory branded primer.

That's assuming there's no difference in the quality of products. ::P: By that definition a Mercedes and Yugo should both perform the same - it's up to the driver to bring out the best in each one. There definitely are differences that make a particular brand of paint or primer work better than others...

I've been priming minis for over 20 years, and I think I've gotten the technique down pretty well. :poke: I've used dozens of cans of primer on both minis and my muscle car, including Ral Partha (remember that kids?), Floquil, Testors, Armorcast, Krylon, Krylon Spray Gesso, GW, Duplicolor, Plastikote, VHT, etc. I used Armorcast exclusively on minis for many years because it was cheaper than the other hobby brands, but then I started having bad results with it. Can after can... Even adjusting the spray distance, time of day, temperature, etc. didn't make a difference. Somehow the formula or manufacturer had changed and it went on grainy time after time. And I never finished a can - the propellant ran out long before.

GW ran into a similar thing when they (secretly) switched their white primer from the UK cans to locally-made Krylon primer. It was crap and their customers complained. What was their response? They ran a little blurb in the letters section of White Dwarf on how to properly shake a can of primer!

Yes, by adjusting your technique you can potentially make any primer work... By why bother? Buy something that works well consistently and doesn't need "babying" to get a good result.

I also have the Duplicolor sandable primer and I personally think that one goes on much thicker and takes away some of the detail (after all, it is sandable primer, it's purpose is to go on thicker so you can sand before your topcoats)

Well that just boils down to proper technique for Duplicolor then right? :poke: You spray on lighter coats, and less of them. I find the coverage makes it easier to prime in one coat what it took me 2-3 coats with other primers. (And no, I'm not a Duplicolor rep, I just like products that work well...)

Take care,

Laszlo

I also have the Duplicolor sandable primer and I personally think that one goes on much thicker and takes away some of the detail (after all, it is sandable primer, it's purpose is to go on thicker so you can sand before your topcoats)

Well that just boils down to proper technique for Duplicolor then right? :poke: You spray on lighter coats, and less of them. I find the coverage makes it easier to prime in one coat what it took me 2-3 coats with other primers. (And no, I'm not a Duplicolor rep, I just like products that work well...)

Take care,

Laszlo

Sounds to me like he bought the Sandable Gap-Filling Primer instead of the regular Duplicolor Sandable Primer. The normal Duplicolor goes on nice and thin.

Yup, there is a Filler primer from Dupi. It's used to fill in minor scratches, so you'll get a smooth surface when you spray your basecoats. Actually good for my scale modeling hobby, but not so much for detailed minis.

Tamiya & Dupi are the 2 primers I tend to use. In a pinch I do like the Pro Paint primer as well (good stuff).

RM

Take care,

Laszlo

Sounds to me like he bought the Sandable Gap-Filling Primer instead of the regular Duplicolor Sandable Primer. The normal Duplicolor goes on nice and thin.

Actually, I have the regular sandable primer and Laszlo, you're right.... it is the technique with it, but having used the armory primer for years now, and NEVER having an issue at all, I just keep using it. Both black and white give me the same results when I spray them so I'm unaware of the issues people have with them in general. As far as the duplicolor goes, I bought that because it was very inexpensive and when I used it, it did yield good results, but a little thicker then I was use to, hence me going back to Armory.