Beware Cheap Dropper bottles purchased on Amazon

These are the 15ml size that get shipped from China.  Ten out of the fifty I purchased less than two months ago did this.  I'm not sure if it was a combination of cheap plastic, me being rough when tightening, and the air temperature in the room changing.

But all I'm saying is that my 68 Reapers were in the same room and none of them have done this.

Insert anger emoticon.  Also annoyance at cheap self emoticon.

post-7755-0-03663600-1443910176_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens. I have actual Reaper bottles that the entire cap has deteriorated so badly the cap just crumbles when you rub it between your fingers. It seems to be centered on a certain stock #s of MSPs. I showed ReaperDaryl at RCon this year & it baffled him as well.

Reminds me I need to get back to him on that one.

• Like 1

- Bad cap design?

- Bad manufacturing process?

- Cheap plastic?

- All of the above?

A bit surprising, but hard to say if there's any single reason. A normal bottle cap should never break from hand tightening nor from room temperature changes.

Some plastics can become more brittle under strong UV radiation or sub-zero temperatures, more so for cheaper plastics without the proper fillers, but I doubt you've left your bottles under the arctic summer sun lately.

• Like 1

I'm not liking the posts above because I like that caps deteriorate, cus I don't like it.  But I appreciate the responses and conversation. 

The weird thing is how fast it happened.  I specifically kept them shaded from the sun (but they were in a room where the sun passes by every day). 

But honestly, right from the start I didn't think much of the caps on these things.  They seemed like a poor fit.  The tips of them are very thin plastic and some seem to have popped off.

I'm looking into alternatives but shipping from SKS is 30 bucks to Canada (They use UPS). 

Or I could just do something completely idiotic and order 35 MS squeeze bottles from Reaper for a buck each, and get free shipping.  But why would I want to do something that dumb?

hmm ... maybe I need some more liner too ...

• Like 1

I'm not liking the posts above because I like that caps deteriorate, cus I don't like it.  But I appreciate the responses and conversation. 

The weird thing is how fast it happened.  I specifically kept them shaded from the sun (but they were in a room where the sun passes by every day). 

But honestly, right from the start I didn't think much of the caps on these things.  They seemed like a poor fit.  The tips of them are very thin plastic and some seem to have popped off.

I'm looking into alternatives but shipping from SKS is 30 bucks to Canada (They use UPS). 

Or I could just do something completely idiotic and order 35 MS squeeze bottles from Reaper for a buck each, and get free shipping.  But why would I want to do something that dumb?

hmm ... maybe I need some more liner too ...

It's only dumb if you don't wait for Reaper's October promotion that starts this Monday. :bday:

Who needs extra minis and bottles of paint anyway?

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

I ordered two different types of inexpensive/cheap bottles from Amazon, but they were bad in different ways, so I eventually just bought empty Reaper ones.  You can probably get inexpensive/good bottles, but the only way to know is to keep buying until you find a good one.  I decided the moderately expensive/good from Reaper was less work (and probably less money as well).

• Like 2