Beware Cheap Dropper bottles purchased on Amazon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

Could someone post a picture of a cap that has crumbled? I have never seen that and I do have first generation reaper MSPs.

Here's one of the ones I've had do it. I've had a few others that crumbled into more pieces but I didn't take pictures. (I usually find these while checking paints for consistency so I'm covered with paint and not wanting to touch my phone.) They were all first releases from one set of colour releases, I'm pretty sure. I imagine it was something to do with mixes of the chemicals in the plastic of that run of caps. I have weak hands, so this is not from an excess of strength or anything. ;->

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152211131309407&set=pb.720104406.-2207520000.1444069284.&type=3&theater

I would also like to add that the 3 packs of empty dropper bottles that they sell at Hobby Lobby are basically worthless. The Seal inside the cap doesn't seal the dropper, so you've constantly got paint/wash/whatever inside the cap.

• Like 2

Google this:

US Plastics.com

Look for:

15cc Natural Boston Round Bottle with 15mm Dropper Cap (66532 - you can search by their stock numbers).

The 1/2 oz (66887) and 1-oz bottles (66889) come in super handy to mix up washes.

If you're going to order a pile of 15cc (standard Reaper/Vallejo size), do yourself a favor and grab a couple of the 30cc (1/2 oz) and 60cc (1-oz).

• Like 1

Five word post: paint pots.

A lot of people around here are moving away from paint pots.

Dropper bottles don't dry out nearly as fast as paint pots (less paint skin) and you have a far better control of how much paint you're using, especially for mixing. Sure you lose some paint while transferring from paint pots to dropper bottles, but what's left over will last you longer than the whole pot.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

Question answered: Buglips definitely lifts, but does he skip leg day?

:lol:

Seriously, though, those bottles are paper thin.  You can immediately feel the difference compared to Reaper MSP bottles.  What happened with that Colours of War bottle is that I screwed the cap on too tight after the first use, and because it's the weird bullet shape it doesn't really stop like a normal cap would so it's easy to overtwist.  So it got stuck, and when I applied a little force to get it off the next time the dropper part stayed stuck in the cap and the bottleneck right below it simply peeled away.  I was quite shocked by this.

• Like 1

I noticed that weird bullet shape. I couldn't tell if it was an old Elmers Glue homage or if they really made the bottles shaped like bullets.

It sounds like one of those clever packaging ideas that failed at an unexpected point.

I noticed that weird bullet shape. I couldn't tell if it was an old Elmers Glue homage or if they really made the bottles shaped like bullets.

It sounds like one of those clever packaging ideas that failed at an unexpected point.

Yeah, the whole bottle is supposed to look like a round and casing. The bottom of the bottle has a rim and everything. Previously Flames of War used Vallejo bottles and paints before switching to this new stuff. While I like the colours, the bottles themselves are complete dog barf.

I transferred the remainder of the Tommy Green from that bottle casualty to an old partha paint pot. I suspect it won't last a long time. Having thusly learned my lesson, hopefully I won't kill off any other bottles or more important colours.

I transferred all my RPPs to droppers. I'm happier, really. Getting the paint out of the pot was always a pain, and I strangely have more space. My MSPs in the droppers had fewer issues, even with the cracked lids, than the RPPs have had.

The RPP Primer took the worst hit. It was as hard as a rock. Getting the skulls was a pita. I still need to mortar & pestle the Silks/Satins and strain them.