This I must see!

Might I posit hobby-store foam balls painted as the planet, or even a few of them that the squid is crawling over and between?

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 3

This I must see!

Might I posit hobby-store foam balls painted as the planet, or even a few of them that the squid is crawling over and between?

that's what i was thinking, finding one of those half-globe ones and find a way to prop the Kraken up securely as if he's gliding past a planet

• Like 8

With Christmas around the corner, craft stores will soon be stocking (if they aren't already) 2-part clear hard plastic Christmas balls in different sizes (for folks to decorate the interiors). I'm thinking half of one of these might be a sturdier base than a styrofoam ball.

And beautiful job in the dragon! I can't wait to see how the kraken turns out.

• Like 5

Good idea! I'm just unsure how to anchor the Kraken without making it look tacky, but that's something to decide once I start actually workign on it i guess

i thought hte styrofoam might give more area to sink pins into to support the kraken, not so sure about plastic  :wacko:

• Like 6

Good idea! I'm just unsure how to anchor the Kraken without making it look tacky, but that's something to decide once I start actually workign on it i guess

i thought hte styrofoam might give more area to sink pins into to support the kraken, not so sure about plastic  :wacko:

If it were me, I'd carefully drill a hole in the plastic ball, then epoxy a long nail (maybe 3 inch) to the inside, sticking out at whatever angle you want, and then stick the pointy end into the kraken and superglue it.

The problem I see, no matter what you use, is adding enough weight to it so that the Kraken isn't top heavy, and prone to falling over. You are going to need to glue the "planet" to really big heavy base, or figure out something heavy to fill it with like clay or lead.

• Like 2

'mayday, mayday!'!

maybe i can use the mast that the kraken is supported by naturally and use it to help support him on the base or something

post-12758-0-62470800-1444090268_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

You could probably make him free-standing with out any base, by making a simple tripod mount of three pieces of coat-hanger wire strategically inserted into his lower body in a triangular pattern. I bet sprayed black they would almost disappear, giving it an almost floating effect.

• Like 2

Hmmm that's an idea as well. Wouldn'tw ant him to be too heavy though, with the UFO weighing down his tentacle parts. Might need some sort of base just to make sure he doesn't topple over

• Like 2

Ok, one more idea then I'll leave you in peace. :). You could screw/glue a small eye-ring in the back at his center of mass, and then hang him from above with a little bit of wire or string on the kind of hanger used to display Christmas ornaments on a tabletop; with a base and an off-center over-arching wire support hanger.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By planetmut
      “...and I, Colonel Duke Jones, stand on the surface of Mars for all of humankind and in the spirit of exploration that’s taking our species beyond its Earthly bounds. And I’m lighting this cigar to celebrate a successful mission.”

“Haha. Good speech, Duke. You're the first human in 76 years to stand on the surface of another planet. How’s it feel to be further from Earth than any other human being?”

“Pretty good, Pioneer. It’s humbling and really gives a sense of perspective. The air is thin but breathable. Those terraforming guys did a great job. Hey, the camera’s working, right? This is being broadcast back to Earth?”

“Yep, it's all good. There's a delay but they're getting it. Audience figures are even bigger than Kim Kardashian’s state funeral, so well done!”

“How do things look from up there in orbit?”

“We’re all good, just watching you and keeping an eye on your vitals.”

“OK, Pioneer. I’m gonna have another puff on this cigar and—”

“Duke, sorry to break in, but Jim just had an idea. The Earth is directly behind you. Could you turn around so we can get a shot of you looking back at it?”

“Sure thing, Pioneer.”

“How’s this?”

“That's just perfect, Duke. Everything’s A-OK.”

“Good to know, Pioneer. We're still live, right?”

“We certainly are. Jim, you owe me fifty dollars.”
    • By OneBoot
      This is going to be one of the most ambitious projects I've ever attempted, so I thought making a WIP thread would be a good idea.   If everything goes well, I plan to enter this beastie at ReaperCon this year, so fingers crossed!

This is an idea I've had bouncing around in my head for awhile, and started gathering materials for it last year.

My plan is to take this lovely critter:

and rather than using the shipwreck as a base, use half of one of these:

and paint the Kraken to look all spacey and such.

So! To that end, I now have one of these!

I'll just be using the top half for the base, though:

Which means that the bottom hemisphere is available for...testing.

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By Rigel
      From the depths of SPACE, they came!

A menace unlike any the Solar System had yet seen! Their weapons--inexorable! Their strange mental powers--UNCANNY! 

Bombshell's Counterblast line has a faction called the Edofleini. Can't prove anything, but I feel strongly that the designer had read David Wiesner's "June 29, 1999" at a formative age. The Edo are giant-brained cephalopods with zap guns and psionic powers, and if that doesn't tickle your fancy, perhaps a Space Squid has used an Emotive Transductor to suck all the JOY and WONDER from your heart? (They can do that, you know!)

I couldn't resist, anyway. Tried to give them a color scheme inspired by this coconut octopus. 

Here's the four-eyed leader of the bunch, in its magnificent robe of office.

The gold-armored subordinate with Neural Halberd:

A vicious enforcer, tentacles flailing:

A four-eyed underling:

And a runtish Spawnling:

And here's a group shot!

Keep watching the skies! Guard your brains! ARE YOUR THOUGHTS YOUR OWN, CITIZEN?

Ever so many more pictures below if you click:

• By Rigel
      Wish I'd taken more in-progress pics here, but when the muse strikes...

Anyway, I got my hands on some figures from Bombshell's Counterblast, specifically the Edofleini faction. Could be described as BRAIN SQUIDS FROM SPAAAAAAACE!! (I assume you read that with the reverb turned up.)
      Decided to use the color scheme from this lovely shot of a coconut octopus:

These were the paints used for the bodies; AP Toxic Mist plus some turquoisish Reaper sample paint was used for the suckers, and AP Greedy Gold for the jewelry and weaponry. Also used AP Kraken Skin for the leader's mini-cape. Seemed appropriate.

Blue-black tentacles, eventually shading up to the rusty Astorath Red.

A touch of color for the accessories and suckers: 

Then a great amount of drybrushing in shades of orange and yellow. I wanted the siphons to be the brightest points. 

I feel like they are close to done--should I add another coat of red wash, or use something darker? 
    • By GodOfCheese
      I like to think of this as an "all-that-can-eat-you meal", best prepared deep fried.  :-)

This beastie was very challenging to paint, and all throughout I kept trying to figure out what I would do for a base.  The shipwreck is awesome, but it left the tentacles so close to the tabletop that I felt it might make play challenging, assuming we ever use it, so I figured it needed some seafloor and weeds.

• Who's Online   17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 94 Guests (See full list)