Best Fantasy Movie Of All Time?

Kendal

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to re-watch The 13th Warrior, as I thought it was pretty "meh" at release and haven't seen it since.

Similarly, I think The Princess Bride is bizarrely overrated.  It's not bad by any means, I just don't think it lives up to all the hype that's been attached to it.

I think some stand-outs for me over the years have been Excalibur, Lord of the Rings (I think this greatly helped to popularize fantasy in pop culture, along with WoW), Conan (Barbarian and Destroyer), Clash of the Titans (the original), and Labyrinth.  The NeverEnding Story gets honorable mention, as it has some memorable scenes and (as with Labyrinth) really stands on the "weird" end of the spectrum.

As far as Harry Potter, I think it may be too soon to see if they hold up.  I think the series started pretty strong, but got extremely muddled somewhere in the middle and pretty bad towards the end.  Still, I respect what it did for fantasy, particularly for kids reading the books.

@Kendall - Thanks to the addition of midi-chlorians, Star Wars can now move from "fantasy" into "sci-fi".  :lol:

• Like 4

Game of Thrones is definitely on my list.  If only it were a movie.  Peter Dinklage is a great actor.  He should get an Oscar for the non-movie Game of Thrones. 

No, Star Wars doesn't count as fantasy.  :wacko:  It's Sci-Fi.  It's fantastically awesome, but that doesn't make if a fantasy movie. 

I think that the Wizard of Oz is in the fantasy category.  (Wiki calls it "The Wizard of Oz is a 1939 American musical comedy-drama fantasy film")  I'm going with that as my all time favorite, though I haven't seen it for years.  It made the biggest splash on my psyche at the time.  It's difficult to compare a film from 1939 with all the stuff that came in the 70 plus years afterward.  It's amazing that any movie from the 30's still holds up today. 

• Like 1

Also weird: I see no mention of the "The Dark Crystal", which was IMO a more pure fantasy film than "Labyrinth", and despite its slow pace, improved in subsequent watchings.

I do understand why there is no mention of "Ladyhawke", though. I liked the soundtrack and hated the movie; most people apparently felt the other way round. If you did for some reason like that film, watch "Stardust" as well; it's a better fantasy romance.

• Like 3

I apologize for the oncoming pedantry:

Fantasy explores grand themes of good vs. evil, of the underdog achieving heroship through pluck and vigor. Fantasy cares little about whether the events, technologies or philosophies present make much sense, so long as they serve the plot and drive the hero's journey forward. Fantasy begins with a familiar state and explores individuals' escapes and journeys into the unknown. Fantasy is about ideology.

Science Fiction explores finite themes of success vs failure, of the protagonist attempting something through knowledge and intent. Science Fiction thrives on plausibility in its possibilities. Science Fiction begins with unfamiliar premise and explores the ways humanity reaches for the familiar. Science fiction is about ideas.

Although much of the EU of Star Wars has leaned into SF, the original trilogy (and much of the prequels) falls squarely into fantasy, despite the presence of space ships. The world is predicated on impossible things which are accepted without question. Star Wars cares only about the rise of Luke as a Hero and the fall of Vader as a Villain, and the love of a princess and a rogue. It is a parable, a fable.

I love Star Wars. But I also love Science Fiction, and the two are not the same.

/rant

/soapbox

• Like 1

Hawk The Slayer and Ladyhawke are some good mentions. Best part of Hawk are the tennis ball fireballs lol. Surprised I haven't seen Krull some where. Grumpy Cave Bear, I own Sword and the Sorcerer. I love the film, and greatly love how bare bones the world's lore is. You pretty much make up what's going on as you watch the film lol!

• Like 3