Sign in to follow this  
PingosHusband

Breathing New Life Into Old Monsters

I agree, that is a very cool idea. I may also steal it; I have a campaign in the offing (first game is this afternoon) that I haven't worked out the middle/end of yet.

• Like 4

Feel free to steal it.  I recently finished a psionics intensive game (it's the one Pingo painted the ship for), and don't plan to run D&D any time soon, and if I did mind flayers would not likely be a major part of it.

• Like 7

A vurra different take. It would also tend to damp down any rebellious impulses on the part of the slave class...

• Like 4

I like it a lot.  It would be a very interesting take on the subject, and fun to play.  It would really mess with some of the characters who have a higher morality.  Is it right to overthrow the Mind Flayers because it IS a lot like drugs?  Is it wrong to take someone away from a choice they made freely, even if it's bad for them?  It should add a lot of depth to the roleplay.

• Like 5

Hmmm, I remember the version of mindflayers that I made for Pathfinder, way back when Pathfinder was new.

In that case the mindflayers ate the brain, and regurgitated an infant 'flayer into the skull cavity - which had the memories of the now devoured brain. (I call them 'thids.)

Over time the 'thid gets less and less human. The first obvious sign being when the tentacles erupt from the mouth....

Came in handy later, when Reaper released their version of the Hounds of Tindalos.... 50289_p_1_mj.jpg

What happens when a canine is impregnated by a 'thid.

The Auld Grump - I have been tempted to do an elephant that has been chosen as a host....

• Like 8

Reminds me of the wire addicts from the Ring World universe. Well done.

What were those things called, Drouds?

Worn behind the ear...sorta like a blue-tooth device...  :ph34r: 

Larry Niven predicted the illicit sale of human organs too...  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

The most creative thing I ever did (and 'twasn't much of a much really) was to create Doubled-Down Doppel Dragons.

These were nothing other than taking the base stats of two different dragons and just adding them across the board. So a green dragon would contribute, 9HD, cloud breath weapon, and green scales and a black dragon would add, 11HD, acid jet weapon, and black scales...

Result: 20HD Dragon, Alternating Black/Green scale pattern, choice of two breath weapons, three shots of each type, etc.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

I like it. Such a marvelous way of creating a really awkward situation for the PC's to be in. How do you deal with a slave population that is literally addicted to their overlords? 'rescue' becomes far different when the populace does not want to be rescued. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this