We have very different understandings of the word basecoated. This thing is going to be amazing.

Right? Siri's version of a basecoat is well-nigh done for me :lol:

• Like 3

It's good to be a friend of The Siri ::P:

=P yes indeed, free painted minis providing i get to take however long i want on them

here are some progress photos now that i've begun to paint it. Hopefully you can see the difference between my base coating and my actual painting =P

post-12758-0-80193300-1444835916_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-87446100-1444835928_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 13

So amazing, and yes I can see the difference.  Though I'd still maintain your "base coating" looks a whole lot like what's called "painting" on my table.  I really need to add in some more complicated base coating to my minis.  It's nice to watch this one in steps, it really helps me see how it's done.

• Like 1

So amazing, and yes I can see the difference.  Though I'd still maintain your "base coating" looks a whole lot like what's called "painting" on my table.  I really need to add in some more complicated base coating to my minis.  It's nice to watch this one in steps, it really helps me see how it's done.

my base coating is usually a very quick speed paint of where i think colors should go

this way, like the outline on the armor plating, i can see if somethign looks well or not. In this case, i decided light purple did not give the same effect as orange, so when i went over and started actually painting him, i adjusted the colors to suit

• Like 2

my base coating is usually a very quick speed paint of where i think colors should go

That is a fantastic point of view and kind of like killing 3 birds with one stone.  I'd get better at speed painting, I'd have kind of a preliminary color checker, and bringing in the other colors would be easier.  Thanks a TON for the additional info.  

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      This is going to be one of the most ambitious projects I've ever attempted, so I thought making a WIP thread would be a good idea.   If everything goes well, I plan to enter this beastie at ReaperCon this year, so fingers crossed!

This is an idea I've had bouncing around in my head for awhile, and started gathering materials for it last year.

My plan is to take this lovely critter:

and rather than using the shipwreck as a base, use half of one of these:

and paint the Kraken to look all spacey and such.

So! To that end, I now have one of these!

I'll just be using the top half for the base, though:

Which means that the bottom hemisphere is available for...testing.

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By Rigel
      From the depths of SPACE, they came!

A menace unlike any the Solar System had yet seen! Their weapons--inexorable! Their strange mental powers--UNCANNY! 

Bombshell's Counterblast line has a faction called the Edofleini. Can't prove anything, but I feel strongly that the designer had read David Wiesner's "June 29, 1999" at a formative age. The Edo are giant-brained cephalopods with zap guns and psionic powers, and if that doesn't tickle your fancy, perhaps a Space Squid has used an Emotive Transductor to suck all the JOY and WONDER from your heart? (They can do that, you know!)

I couldn't resist, anyway. Tried to give them a color scheme inspired by this coconut octopus. 

Here's the four-eyed leader of the bunch, in its magnificent robe of office.

The gold-armored subordinate with Neural Halberd:

A vicious enforcer, tentacles flailing:

A four-eyed underling:

And a runtish Spawnling:

And here's a group shot!

Keep watching the skies! Guard your brains! ARE YOUR THOUGHTS YOUR OWN, CITIZEN?

Ever so many more pictures below if you click:

• By Rigel
      Wish I'd taken more in-progress pics here, but when the muse strikes...

Anyway, I got my hands on some figures from Bombshell's Counterblast, specifically the Edofleini faction. Could be described as BRAIN SQUIDS FROM SPAAAAAAACE!! (I assume you read that with the reverb turned up.)
      Decided to use the color scheme from this lovely shot of a coconut octopus:

These were the paints used for the bodies; AP Toxic Mist plus some turquoisish Reaper sample paint was used for the suckers, and AP Greedy Gold for the jewelry and weaponry. Also used AP Kraken Skin for the leader's mini-cape. Seemed appropriate.

Blue-black tentacles, eventually shading up to the rusty Astorath Red.

A touch of color for the accessories and suckers: 

Then a great amount of drybrushing in shades of orange and yellow. I wanted the siphons to be the brightest points. 

I feel like they are close to done--should I add another coat of red wash, or use something darker? 
    • By GodOfCheese
      I like to think of this as an "all-that-can-eat-you meal", best prepared deep fried.  :-)

This beastie was very challenging to paint, and all throughout I kept trying to figure out what I would do for a base.  The shipwreck is awesome, but it left the tentacles so close to the tabletop that I felt it might make play challenging, assuming we ever use it, so I figured it needed some seafloor and weeds.

• By Redd Knekk
      Been a while working on this guy between work travel, but finally calling him done. I needed to do a non-humanoid to cleanse the palate, and when I saw a picture of a humbolt squid (diablo rojo) I thought it would be a cool concept to paint a Dark Young like that. It’s got the tentacles anyway.

This was also my first time painting off a bright picture. I see you pros’ WIP doing that and thought I’d give it a try. I like how he turned out, but I should have spent more time doing transitioning/blending on the glowing tentacles and SOL. I learned a lot from everyone’s advice on this forum so I appreciate the constant challenges and learning opportunities. I also heard someone’s photo advice about using black background to make it brighter and that worked great. My light box is coming in handy thanks again to you all!!

Hope you enjoy, and feel free to give me C&C. Looking to improve each time!

• Who's Online   9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 154 Guests (See full list)