Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Day!

Happy Turkey Day to all my fellow Canadians!

So what are we thankful for?

Here's my list (in no particular order)

1- Reaper; Reaper forum; Reaper members (Phew! Got that out of the way.)

2- Family & friends. Though since I moved a gazillion miles away form them and still single, they're still close to me and I don't feel lonely. And I'm meeting new ones around here.

3- Career. Just celebrated my 1 year anniversary with my company and even being away for 5 months on disability, I'm still an employee!

4- HEALTH. Born with a faulty heart valve, it's finally fixed, and my cardiologist just gave me the OK to go back to work and join a gym again. So my health and morale will improve even more.

• Like 12
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2- Family & friends. Though since I moved a gazillion miles away form them and still single, they're still close to me and I don't feel lonely. And I'm meeting new ones around here.

3- Career. Just celebrated my 1 year anniversary with my company and even being away for 5 months on disability, I'm still an employee!

4- HEALTH. Born with a faulty heart valve, it's finally fixed, and my cardiologist just gave me the OK to go back to work and join a gym again. So my health and morale will improve even more.

Happy Turkey Day to you and all your fellow Canadians!

Good for you on health issues!

George

• Like 2

Happy Thanksgiving! ::D: 

My own list, in no particular order:

• Happy geeks, like the folks around here. When geeks are being open and welcoming and they have something to be excited about, they're the most wonderful people to be around because they get so enthusiastic and happy it's contagious and makes everything feel better & more exciting. Reaper forums are a fantastic example of this - if I'm having a bad day, coming here is a great way to get excited and happy in a hurry. ::): 
  • Family & friends. Obviously. I happen to think my family's pretty awesome, in particular. ::): 
  • Books. Cuz books. AMIRITE?! ::P: 
  • Job. I'm not hugely digging my job right now but that's mostly a temporary thing (annoyingly long, hard, unrewarding project that, unfortunately, is also crucial to the company's long-term success so I can't just slough it off). I have great coworkers and a fantastic boss.
  • Plenty more but I need to cut the list short or I won't have time to read the rest of the forums before cleaning up in preparation for friends coming over for our second Thanksgiving feast. Which is kinda proof that I have a lot to be thankful for. :;): 
  • Like 6

Not Canadian, but stopping in to say hello to my board friends North of the border!  Hope you all had a great day filled with good news (yay for heart repairs) and jobs (gotta pay for minis after all) and whatever else your hearts desired.

Even though it wasn't "my" holiday I'd like to say I'm thankful for all of my internet friends, particularly on this board.  It's nice to virtually hang out with people from far away, and shared geekdom love of the hobby knows no borders.

• Like 4

Congrats onthe health issues, Cranky Dog!

So ... What do Canadians eat on Canadian Thanksgiving, anyway? Is there a traditional menu?

Typically, turkey and/or ham, with potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, etc. Stuffing or dressing. Salads. More potatoes, carrots, etc. Probably more stuffing, more turkey and/or ham, etc, etc. Basically, as much food as you can fit into the food prep area. ::): And once everyone's done the meal, you hang out for an hour or two, to give everything time to settle, and then eat some dessert. Pies, pies, more pies, probably cake, cookies, squares, maybe some ice cream, and whatever other desserts people can think of. And before and after the meal there'll be snacks set out, everything from chips to cheese & crackers to nuts to fruit...

Obviously it depends on the family and their circumstances, but typically, its like a slightly-less-gluttonous version of what I've heard a typical American Thanksgiving is like. ::P: 

• Like 4

Things for which I'm thankful?

1. My health - for obvious reasons.
  2. My wife who really stepped up when I wasn't around to take care of the house and who has stuck by my through thick & thin for 13 years and counting.
  3. My family and friends - despite the fact that they insist upon celebrating my birthday even though I'd rather not.
  • Like 3

Congrats onthe health issues, Cranky Dog!

So ... What do Canadians eat on Canadian Thanksgiving, anyway? Is there a traditional menu?

Typically, turkey and/or ham, with potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, etc. Stuffing or dressing. Salads. More potatoes, carrots, etc. Probably more stuffing, more turkey and/or ham, etc, etc. Basically, as much food as you can fit into the food prep area. ::): And once everyone's done the meal, you hang out for an hour or two, to give everything time to settle, and then eat some dessert. Pies, pies, more pies, probably cake, cookies, squares, maybe some ice cream, and whatever other desserts people can think of. And before and after the meal there'll be snacks set out, everything from chips to cheese & crackers to nuts to fruit...

Obviously it depends on the family and their circumstances, but typically, its like a slightly-less-gluttonous version of what I've heard a typical American Thanksgiving is like. ::P:

I think we're banned from the weight loss support thread for at least 48 hours.

• Like 2