The Monday Miniature: 2015

TaleSpinner

It seems I am developing a bit of a fan-attitude towards Erin's work; I'll try to stop before I hit the creepy stalking phase.

It's totally acceptable to be a fan of such awesome work. ^_^

This piece is just amazing. All of Corporea's stuff is amazing. Kinda like Derek :ik_oops:

• Like 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally, I would criticize the choice to do a monochrome piece with true black and white. Having no chroma at all normally makes for a very flat visual experience. But in this case,it works as a style choice that actually magnifies the story of the work. Had she used a blue or purple to deepen the darks,the story being told would be effected negatively. The second reason I think this works is that the value range crosses the spectrum from 1 to 10. It also keeps to the lighter side where most other monochrome works tend to be darker. Lastly, the fully saturated 2d reflection completes the narrative. Without it, the monochrome scheme would fall flat. Technically challenging, it is a work to be admired.

• Like 4

Normally, I would criticize the choice to do a monochrome piece with true black and white. Having no chroma at all normally makes for a very flat visual experience. But in this case,it works as a style choice that actually magnifies the story of the work. Had she used a blue or purple to deepen the darks,the story being told would be effected negatively. The second reason I think this works is that the value range crosses the spectrum from 1 to 10. It also keeps to the lighter side where most other monochrome works tend to be darker. Lastly, the fully saturated 2d reflection completes the narrative. Without it, the monochrome scheme would fall flat. Technically challenging, it is a work to be admired.

I'm just going to go with:

Keanu-Whoa.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, that Monique piece totally transformed the way I think about mini painting.  The only thing I didn't like as much is just how Nakatan does hair by the strand.  I like the way Rhonda does it en block. But it's a style choice only and perfectly valid- and it does look awesome!  I'm still amazed by how he shades his patterns.  I know it's a 54 mm mini, but still.... sigh. :wub:

• Like 3

Yeah, that Monique piece totally transformed the way I think about mini painting.  The only thing I didn't like as much is just how Nakatan does hair by the strand.  I like the way Rhonda does it en block. But it's a style choice only and perfectly valid- and it does look awesome!  I'm still amazed by how he shades his patterns.  I know it's a 54 mm mini, but still.... sigh. :wub:

At that scale, by-the-strand might be easier, if the mini is sculpted for it. When I did my 54mm not-Elric, his hair was sculpted for a by-the-strand paint job, but I just can't pull it off...yet.

• Like 1

Wow just wow.  The freehand is ridiculous, the shading is beautiful, the nmm is great and the base is vibrant.  It just makes me sad that I don't paint to this level, but I know that every time I lift a brush that I am getting better...slowly.

What I really want to know is what they used for the, or how they got the, flowers on the meadow part of the terrain.

Edited by Raistlarn

The flowers look like Silfor MiniNatur Flowering Meadows but they could be from another manufacturer.

I agree. I have the purple and white pack, and they're very similar.

So after looking at the site and reading the description I'am left wondering if this is a mat or is it like the tufts they sell?

• Like 1