Sign in to follow this  
Arc 724

RBG: CleeseWych the Cuss

CleeseWych the Cuss by Tre Manor

-Human

After a swift polish of this figure I Greenstuffed it on the base. I'm very pleased with the way it came out.

post-13341-0-89775800-1444684095.jpg

Next, I have been doing this for a few miniatures now,Combination Priming, and it has helped a lot.

In addition to this, I took these 4 photo's with my lamp above to check the lighting and highlights.

post-13341-0-03312400-1444684349.jpg

• Like 13

Apologies in advance. I wanted to try using a background that was COMPLETELY different. I will not be using that green one again.

I put down all the base colors for every item on the miniature. I don't normally do this but I wanted to get paint on this guy since I have been using him for D&D for AWHILE now. Figured I should just make him more colorful.

post-13341-0-48913000-1444684741.jpg

post-13341-0-78104900-1444684748.jpg

C&C are more then welcome. I'm actually at a cross road about what color to do the shield. Suggestions would be very much welcome.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 8

Yikes, that green background hurts my eyes! haha!

Anyhow, off to a great start. For the shield, is he member of a knightly order, house, or religious in any way such as a paladin or cleric? If so, I'd try to do some freehand heraldry on the shield. 

ETA: OR - try doing what I did with my Freja dwarf cleric and use some plasticard, cut the shapes and glue to the shield, VERY easy and looks great.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Anyhow, off to a great start. For the shield, is he member of a knightly order, house, or religious in any way such as a paladin or cleric? If so, I'd try to do some freehand heraldry on the shield. 

ETA: OR - try doing what I did with my Freja dwarf cleric and use some plasticard, cut the shapes and glue to the shield, VERY easy and looks great.

He is a Cleric. Thanks for the suggestions. I had not even thought of plastic card on it. Hmmm. Time to ponder.

• Like 1

He is a Cleric. Thanks for the suggestions. I had not even thought of plastic card on it. Hmmm. Time to ponder.

A way I've "cheated" is find the god/goddess he follows with some online art, then re-size it with Word (or photoshop) to fit his shield, then print it out and use it to trace out the pattern (assuming it's relatively simple) onto the plasticard, cut the plasticard out and super-glue it onto the shield. 

• Like 2

Focus on leather straps: LARGE strap and shoulder straps (pre-highed).

I also used a combination of Vallejo German grey(a really dark grey) and Reaper Black Wash on the "skirt." After that I re-highlighed up with Leather White then used Black wash to adjust it.

post-13341-0-56270100-1445440291.jpg

Straps basically done, mace first draft of blending and head stained. 

Major work on the Helmet: 3 shades of metallic, Polished, Honed, and Blackened. I Then took a less diluted Blackened and dotted (stippled) the upper and lower areas near the highlights.

It turned out GREAT. Although I think I am going to push it even more next session. You can see the helmet better on the picture below.

post-13341-0-84630800-1445440298.jpgpost-13341-0-37964900-1445440306.jpg

Lastly I went over the back pack varying shades of Uniform Brown. Uniform brown Has a green hue to it which made it look the way it does. I was impressed out it turned out.

post-13341-0-61914400-1445440317.jpg

Flow Improver is your friend BTW. One of your best friends!

EDIT: oh yes, and upper and lower highlights on the top tunic section. I'm not satisfied with it as of now but I didnt put much work into it. And some brown and flesh wash on the bed roll.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 11

Got more work done this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Tunic, Boots and base. 

For the Tunic I used the mid-tone and did the dark spots first mixing some dark grey. Then back to mid-tone and mixed some lighter version of that blue and applied it to the spots the light hit in the photo at the very top.

After that I went back and applied a few layers of the mid-tone, diluted down.

Finally when back and used the dark tone on the upper edges of the "cracks" and curves in the fabric. I'll probably go back over it again when I circle back around to each section.

post-13341-0-05464900-1446583520.jpg

I did the same with the boots. EXCEPT, I took the Ginger Cookie Brown, and dry brush using stippling to add texture. I am not satisfied with them as of yet. Going to look into applying different color tones to the shaded areas. Like purple and and re-glazing...

post-13341-0-77255200-1446583522.jpg

The Base was a last minute thing: Dry brushing on shades of grey - form dark to light. I may go back and push the higher end.

post-13341-0-86588900-1446583528.jpg

in retrospect I think I am going to push the highlights more...

Finally, I have been contemplating Ub3r's recommendation of plastic card. I am been thinking of using greenstuff to make it... After reading some tips on the forums about sculpting, I'm getting the itch.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 7

There is something Monty Python/Holy Grail about the Guy that I really like. I'm also fond of the OUTSTANDING way he is painting up. GREAT WORK!

• Like 3

There is something Monty Python/Holy Grail about the Guy that I really like. I'm also fond of the OUTSTANDING way he is painting up. GREAT WORK!

I haven't thought of that but I see it now. I just looked up Monty Python and the Holy Grail and was skimming through the images of it and think I got a little more inspiration for the shield design... :) :) :) :)

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 4

...and think I got a little more inspiration for the shield design... :) :) :) :)

If you take your Fantasy on the light/silly side like moi, Monty Python's Holy Grail is a great source of ideas/inspiration. Brave, Brave Sir Robin's Chicken motif shield is my favorite.

• Like 3

I forgot I took pictures of the work I did last weekend/this week. 

1. added some texture to the Mace handle. It turned out great.
  2. More belt work, I went with a darker leather for the main belt as I imagine it gets A LOT of use.
  3. Upper tunic Highlights and lower tone color change. I used a red-brown for the Shadows to give it a different look. It turned out ... marginally well. 
  4. Highlighted up the skin (hand and Face) 
  5. Eyes. "blacked" the eyes. They are so small I'm contemplating leaving them as is. I mean like microscopic. Tre does super realistic size. I LIKE IT!
  6. Boots, added better highlights and used a brighter/different toned brown to give the boot a different atmosphere. You can't see it in the picture, well you kind of can but you have to look REALLY hard. Sorry.
  7. Gold bell shading.
  8. And lastly, facial Hair.

• Additional: I'm still undecided on the shield color... I think I may go with the Ritterlich Tactical Cross cause it's freaken awesome, as you can see I did a mock up of it. 
  • I know the shield will have a trim line and be two toned: Either down the center or at a diagnal but I can seem to settle on the actual COLOR of the shield.

post-13341-0-35124100-1447451441.jpg

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 4