Jump to content

Sascha Dubois: Chronomancer's Apprentice Conversion


Recommended Posts

     When I recently looked at the Sascha Dubois figure I got in my Bones I Kickstarter I really liked the look of her coat, and it reminded me very much of an 18th century officer's coat.  This made me think of the Elquin High Elf Adventurer figure  I had painted a little while ago, which I painted as wearing a 19th century uniform and overcoat.  I intend at some point to get another Elquin and paint him again, this time with a snow base, as a Chronomancer for my Frostgrave games, and it seemed to me that Sascha in her coat from the 1700s might be perfect to be the Chronomancer's apprentice.  The idea of them traveling in time, and picking up articles of clothing from different eras, really appeals to me.


     While I liked the blend of the old fashioned coat and the futuristic bit and bobs on her outfit, I thought the laser pistol at her side might be too much. This, combined with the fact I wanted to include something that might tie her to a medieval-like fantasy world a little more, gave me the idea to replace the pistol with a sword.  So, I set about doing the conversion.


      I found a suitable donor among my extra figures, and then cut off one of its swords (It was wielding two), and trimmed away the hand that was on its hilt.  I then cut the sword into three sections, as I wanted it to fit in the crease between Sascha's outer thigh and her coat where her pistol had been, and I wanted the tip to stick out under the back bottom of the coat. I also trimmed part of the hilt's cross-guard away, so it would fit up against her hand. I then cut away Sascha's pistol at this point; and trimmed off the blocky parts sculpted on the front of her boots, as I felt they made her footwear look too modern. Lastly, I trimmed the communicator in her hand to attempt to make it look more like a pocket watch.    


IMG_5498.JPG


 


I then superglued the parts of the sword in place.


IMG_5507.JPG


 


This left me with a gap between the sword and her coat and thigh, and her hand and the cross-guard. So I used some Milliput I had on hand and filled the gap between her sword, coat and thigh, and then attempted to resculpt the hand so it looked more like it was resting on the cross-guard of the sword. 


 


IMG_5511.JPG


 


IMG_5512.JPG


 


     I'm not a great sculptor, and the close confines of where the hand was located made it difficult to work on, but hopefully it is good enough that paint will hide a multitude of sins.  :blink:  And,  it is intended as a gaming piece, not a display figure so I think I can let some rough bits slide.


 So, now I will let it sit for a little bit so everything is good and dry, then I will do some final trimming and filing to get everything shipshape.  


    I'm not sure what color I will paint her coat at this point; British scarlet? Russian green? Austrian White?  I'll have to do some thinking.


Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool conversion.

 

How about Prussian Blue with Yellow for the cuffs and such.?

Thanks!

While I like your idea a lot, the wizard I'm teaming her with (Elquin) will be wearing Napoelonic French blue, so I don't think I want to do another dark blue based outfit.

My current leaning is the British red, and I think I like your idea of yellow facings.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Cool conversion.

 

How about Prussian Blue with Yellow for the cuffs and such.?

Thanks!

While I like your idea a lot, the wizard I'm teaming her with (Elquin) will be wearing Napoelonic French blue, so I don't think I want to do another dark blue based outfit.

My current leaning is the British red, and I think I like your idea of yellow facings.

 

 

 

In that case you could also try a Russian Green with Yellows perhaps.

 

British Reds may be striking too, Maybe yellow facings but with Blue Epaulets?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't able to do much this weekend, but got the figure glued to a washer, and that glued to a tongue depressor, so it was all ready to paint.  Then got the first three colors put on. Definitely going with the dark green coat with yellow facings. 

 

21682344653_21176f9e72_k.jpgIMG_5527 by cnjpalmer, on Flickr

22290484712_960ef2b777_k.jpgIMG_5533 by cnjpalmer, on Flickr

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...