Scythe (boardgame) by Jamey Stemaier [Kickstarter]

pcktlnt

LINK: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/scythe

Note: Not a miniatures game, just has some miniatures pieces to represent markers.

Designed by Jamey Stegmaier (Viticulture & Euphoria) and based on the art and worldbuilding of Jakub Rozalski, Scythe is a 4x game (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) set in an alternate-history, 1920s Eastern Europe. Scythe tells the stories of 5 factions competing over an unclaimed patch of land surrounding the mysterious Factory.

During Scythe's 750+ blind playtests, the playtesters consistently said they most enjoyed:

• the dual benefits of the upgrade system (increase an action benefit and decrease a cost)
  • the distinctly different faction and mech abilities
  • the thematic choices presented by the encounter cards
  • the asymmetry and variability created by random pairings of faction and player mats
  • the twist to area control due to all resources being kept on the board

Check out the Scythe rules and playtest print-and-play files to see how Scythe blends an engine-building system inspired by Terra Mystica with a deterministic combat system influenced by Kemet. Renders of the 25 miniatures in Scythe are below the "What's in the Box?" image.

bdaabba65c5145ec6301f992d69cc4e0_origina

47af4755c3c61984d400927d1f9bb4ff_origina

Each player is represented on the board by a character and their animal companion (1 miniature). Each character miniature has a 25mm base and a height of 36-58mm.

a67a1a393bfd4a8f0560ae6a61de395b_origina

Each faction has 4 mechs in their faction color that can be deployed during the game. Each mech miniature has a 30mm base and a height of 26-36mm.

7a3bd2b99f5dfd751b700157ebe006d8_origina

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The project is already funded and blew pass their initial goal. The stretch goals were on a sliding scale and were going to be revealed on a daily basis, but too much negativity in the comment section switched it over to a simple at funding, we unlock this.

I'm excited. I enjoyed playing Euphoria with the upgraded contents and quality components. I'm hoping it's the same with this. Some of the stretch goals include increasing the size of the cards to larger cards and having a solo play variant.

In for collectors. :D

At first glance I don't see anything special about this game.

But it seems that Jamey Stemaier has a long history of very succesful and highly rated games ..

So I guess it would be a good idea for me to pledge for this one?!

I've been following this one for a while, after stumbling onto the artist's blog. This company seems to have a very good track record, and the art is really gorgeous, so I'm in for the basic game, for now. I love the world they've designed, and the sweet, intimate moments of the "encounters" are a really lovely touch in an otherwise sweeping, large-scale sort of game. I know I'll have trouble picking the "mean" option even if it gets me what I need that turn.

EDIT: Also, I definitely didn't like the weird sliding goals that incentivized pledging late, but I did like the daily unlocks, so I think it's too bad he switched entirely back to the traditional system. Taking the prices off them and just letting them be daily freebies would have been the ideal way to go, I think, given how huge it is already.

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 1

I played Viticulture for the first time last Friday, my buddy, Adam (who brought Viticulture) said this was going live this week.  I backed the heck outta it.  I'm in for Premium, plus an extra set of those metal coins, the coins in Viticulture are ultra badelf, and for $22 in the KS, you can get a whole other set of these ones, which look even better!

• Like 1

So I guess it would be a good idea for me to pledge for this one?!

If you play Eurogames... yep! 

BoardGameGeek has some reviews / playtest comments by playtesters, so read them first.

Or, if you just want the base game, wait until retail and read reviews to make your final decision. The promos should be available on the BGG store.

Several Stonemaier Games are available retail right now, so you can also pick up copy at the OLGS, play it, then make a decision.

SG has one of the best records for fulfilling KS. However, I think this is the first game with boardgame miniatures, and Jamey said in previous KS he's not targeting the miniatures audience.

Renders are not miniatures... bent weapons... not 28mm scale... the usual warnings apply!

Edited by ced1106

I will say that Euphoria: Build A Better Dystopia is a very enjoyable game with some very tight design.  Almost all the games of Euphoria that my group has played have been very close in the end, often between 2-3 players (if not all 4).

As far as Scythe, I think the game might be a little too complex for my gaming group.  Euphoria was intimidating enough, until I could get people to try it out and they saw it in action.  But I think Scythe might be a bit too much for them.  Still, I'm going to read up on it and watch the gameplay vids before writing it off, simply because of Stonemeier's awesome track record.