Sword & Sorcery - Epic Fantasy Co-op board & miniature game

SamuraiJack

• Members

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sword-and-sorcery-epic-fantasy-co-op-board-and-min?ref=category_newest

About this project

Evil is on the move again. After centuries of bloodshed and war, the last heroes fell to the growing tide of monstrosities, their memory fading away like sand in a gale. The land of Talon Coast is helpless, as the armies of darkness surge forward, threatening to extinguish the very light of the sun. But there is one last bastion of hope, one final attempt at abating the flood of corruption: Claudius, High Priest of the Temple of Heavenshine, sacrifices the holiest relic of the land to summon the fallen heroes back to life! Weakened by their own resurrection, yet determined to return hope and justice to the land of Talon, the reborn heroes will wage war against this scheming evil in its many hideous forms.

10b77ff0cd84e211a960cd1fa871c7ce_origina

Sword & Sorcery is a fully cooperative fantasy board game, designed by Gremlin Project (Galaxy Defenders) and manufactured and distributed by Ares Games (Wings of Glory, Sails of Glory, War of the Ring).

We are joining forces to create the next evolution in team-based fantasy gaming: rich gameplay, unique A.I system, and excellent quality physical components, to bring you countless hours of high adventures and heroic quests.

eabcf816a87502df622eadb8d824d747_originaPreview of the Sword & Sorcery prototype during the Essen Game Fair

In Sword & Sorcery, one to five players control heroes with unique powers. The heroes will fight together against the forces of evil - controlled by the game system itself - to save the kingdom and break the spell that binds their souls.

In Sword & Sorcery, the players become heroes who must explore dangerous ruins, ominous forests, and besieged cities. Their skills and abilities are the last, best hope of Talon’s Coast.

<<GIf deleted>>

These heroes are not your run-of-the-mill adventurers - they are legendary characters, brought back to life by powerful sorcery. Weakened by the resurrection, they grow stronger during the story-driven quests. By acquiring soul points, players regenerate the heroes' souls, returning them to their legendary status - with multiple powers, magic and soul weapons, and powerful artifacts.

Sword & Sorcery's game system represents the perfect evolution of the mechanics first used in Galaxy Defenders. From its forerunner, Sword & Sorcery inherits key features such as advanced AI for monsters, a high degree of character customization, and multiple tactical options during battles. At the same time, gameplay in Sword & Sorcery is fast and dynamic, thanks to an innovative area movement and area control system, and includes new features never seen before in a game of this category.

a4600d6062bfcdb12b7fe3b067f118d7_origina

If the close encounter with our dwarf cleric Thorgar was not enough to persuade you... Keep on reading! :-) Here are a few more reasons to back our project:

• Ultra Detailed 32mm Scale Figures, sculpted by Studio Gutierrez, well known by miniature lovers as sculptors of the Infinity Miniature Game. You can have a sneak peek at many of the models we developed on SketchFab.
  • Solo Play. A single player controlling two or more heroes can play the entire campaign.
  • High Character Customization. 10 classes, 7 Soul Ranks (levels) per hero, 50 different hero powers, over 100 items including weapons, magic artifacts, and soul weapons!
  • Sophisticated Combat and Magic System. A detailed combat system based on two types of custom 10-sided dice and an intuitive cooldown management of spells and skills grant spectacular fights. No numbers or tables to check, just icons and quick strategic decisions!
  • No Player Elimination. When a hero dies, he becomes a ghost soul, an ethereal form able to use its unique ghost shout against enemies, and then he can resurrect spending Soul points at the gods' altar.
  • No Game Master required. An innovative A.I. system allows control and management of enemies by the players, giving them intelligent behaviour and creating interesting battles every time.
  • Modular Boards. Each map tile is double sided and created to be interconnected with any other tile, allowing the creation of endless new quests.
  • Story-Driven Campaign. A story of intrigue and conflict awaits the heroes… Loot, treasures and traps are just the beginning!
  • 90 Minutes Experience. Quests are designed to be completed in about 90 minutes or less.
  • Extended Replay Value. Each hero has two different classes to choose from. In addition, quests can be customized by swapping enemies, thanks to the challenge level system, and thanks to the randomly acquired powers, enemies represent a new, unpredictable challenge in every encounter.

41dd35ec4f166fb3f953d61f3dd17749_origina

There are only two pledge levels: "Legendary Hero", for individuals, and "Emporium", for retailers.

8e45174c489c4ec9c081945fc1c6fa80_origina

You must provide identification as a retailer to be qualified for the Emporium pledge level.

a1d707c9124a26bc36f3198e5432520b_origina

Sword & Sorcery is offered to all our backers in a Kickstarter Exclusive Edition, including:

• all contents of the Retail Edition PLUS
  • a wide range of unique Kickstarter content PLUS
  • all unlocked Stretch Goals.

The retail edition of Sword & Sorcery is stuffed with content... and if that's not enough, your Kickstarter Edition includes extra content, designed to enhance your gaming experience and make your copy of Sword & Sorcery a special limited edition item.

b199d9058c74b363e9c7e997ee13d67b_origina

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated
  • Like 1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't appeared on the reaper forums previously. There's been rumours and images on the internet for a month or two now. I believe the project launched yesterday, maybe even the day before, and I was waiting for people to notice it.

There's been a few similar projects over the last year or two. I'm not sure entirely how to categorise it. It's a different kind of play style that I'm not used to (expendable heroes, easy resurrection, rapid level gains etc). Makes me think a bit of the old pinball machines. I'm backing for now. Waiting to see how it all pans out 'though.

No "Just the Minis," eh?

Alas .. not even add-ons that you could go for with a $1 pledge!

I'm a bit on the edge with this one .. I love some minis but I think some of them are a bit too cartoony for my taste.

And I'm more in for alternate sculpts that colours .. which you won't see if you paint them anyway.

That said, you will probably get a lot for your $ although the SG are rather far apart. Let's see!

I set a remind me for this one, the minis remind me of WoW. I know I would only paint a handful, but this game looks fun.

also- for the people who hate paying fees on top of fees and shipping

"This means that we now plan to ship your rewards from our main warehouse in the USA and from our secondary warehouses in Australia, Canada and Germany. No customs charges will apply to backers in Australia, Canada, European Union, or USA."

• Like 1

If there was a "Just the Minis" pledge level, I'd be all over this one.

There are a few very pretty ones .. but 32mm scale .. not really fitting with the rest of my minis .. :wacko:

Unless most of your collection is more than 15 years old, you might be surprised how well 32mm fits in...

Too many dupe sculpts here for me. Look nice, though.

If there was a "Just the Minis" pledge level, I'd be all over this one.

There are a few very pretty ones .. but 32mm scale .. not really fitting with the rest of my minis .. :wacko:

Unless most of your collection is more than 15 years old, you might be surprised how well 32mm fits in...

Too many dupe sculpts here for me. Look nice, though.

It depends, I have quite some old minis but they look more like 25mm scale .. it seems that minis are getting bigger all the time! :blink:

But well, even though some sculpts look quite beautiful, the game and artwork looks a bit too cartoony for me, it feels more like World of Warcraft than Lord of the Rings.

Furthermore, 32mm doesn't fit my other minis

I find the stretch goals a bit dull, although that may change further into the campaign. The steps between the goals are quite big compared to other miniatures games and what do you get? 3 extra cards?

Also not really many different sculpts. Overall I'm not really that impressed and I guess the gameplay is what makes up for it for most backers?!

Edited by Findariel

Yep. After Project: ELITE, I'm going with "Buy games from game companies, buy miniatures from miniatures companies". Already went with "Renders are not miniatures".

Plenty of exceptions, but I've become cautious around game companies. More like I'll back a game company if it has prior experience with hobby-quality miniatures, rather than miniatures that are considered "game pieces". Age of Conan is currently shipping. Has anyone seen the "plastic figures"?

Edited by ced1106

Super Dungeon Legends starts today as well, so it's deciding what cartoonish box of minis I want.

The husband didn't seem interested in this one so eh about playing.... SDE we would play a few times to see if they actually improved gameplay. And I might paint a few minis.

I mean who are we fooling, we buy things for "the minis" and they sit in a gigantic horde of minis that will never all get painted. It takes too long to paint 20 minis.

I like bigger minis, over 30mm appeals to me.

at the moment, I'm backing Folkore Affliction and Sword & Sorcery ... as my Ministry of the Treasury tells me, only one is possible. I will have to decide, but I'm not sure about it ... but at the moment, I'm leaning towards keeping my Folklore pledge. The setting and the minis are a bit less "run-of-the-mill".