Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

Best/worst models to assemble...

Being that I am 39 and rapidly approaching 40... miniature assembly (while still enjoyable) has become more of a chore...

So what miniature ranges/companies/etc to you absolutely love putting together, and which are your bane and why...?

Love em

Wrath of kings- Resin/restic models. I know some hate restic, but these have grooves that make assembly easy. They are dynamic with only having really one or two ways to go together. I especially love the bigger models. (C.A.G.E., werewolves, etc....) The smaller models are ok, some though have fiddly bits (like the nasier back spikes) but overall even the smaller models are fun to put together.

Reaper- bones models are generally one piece. The metal models come with assembly needed but nothing extensive. Generally very nice to put together.

Warmachine/Hordes- For the same reason as Wrath of kings. The restic models go together nicely. I don't play the game so I cant comment on the metal miniatures... (though I do have a few on the one piece metals).

Hate em

Malifaux- The reason for this post. The miniatures are awesome. Very detailed and love the subject matter... But... Aggghhhh!!!!! they are the bane of my existence. I got The Smoke and Mirrors boxed set and the Coryphee set today. The Coryphee were not THAT bad... but the Mannequins.... 1 of them is 13 pieces... and the pieces are super tiny... Very lovely models... but driving me crazy... I like the models and hate them... I even sent a box (Ronin) to a miniature painter because I love the models but gave up trying to assemble...

I am still waiting on my Black Friday Kingdom Death, and heard that they are challenging to assemble as well... :(

So What miniatures drive you guys crazy?

• Like 2

Very hard to assemble:  Confrontation. They are still widely available..great minis, but very fiddly.

Also some of the RAFM stuff ( I have a Necrodrake wich looks like a real pain to assemble.)

• Like 2

Any of the Ral Partha winged dragons.....terrible.  Almost guaranteed necessity of drilling/pinning to get most wings to stay on, nevermind balancing some of them without custom bases (though I always base everything now as a rule).

• Like 3

Raging Heroes and Sodapop also have a lot of plastic/resin models with multiple tiny/thin pieces. They're not impossible, but you do need to find your zen before starting them.

I've also got one from CoolMini that comes in something like 24 pieces, some smaller than a grain of rice. But most of their figures are either single piece or pretty easy to glue.

RE: Ral Partha, I don't consider the need to pin dragon wings a problem. You're going to have to with any decent sized metal dragon from any company and it's really not a big deal. At least you CAN pin. Some of these resin models have arms and legs smaller than the drill bits.

• Like 4

The D&D Black Dragon.

I own this. I haven't assembled it yet, but have dry fitted...

I'm not seeing everyone's issues with it. T'Char is bigger and about as bad fitting together, but not a chore. I'd have more problems with getting parts the size of a grain of rice to fit together.

• Like 3

Soda Pop's Relic Knights: not only are they completely stupid on assembly, but they are so poorly molded they aren't worth it. The only miniatures I've ever thrown in the garbage.

Infinity (Corvus Belli): I hate the arm/shoulder/gun design.

• Like 4

Frogimus. I like the Noh stuff, and the big stuff like the mechs for the other factions... but I agree on all of the little stuff.

Edited by Smokestack

I've only put together one Malifaux mini so far, the Whiskey Golem.

Its pieces were well molded and went together without any fuss, with pretty much only one way possible for each pair of pieces.

I can see how some of those smaller minis might be troublesome. I hear the Malifaux Nightmare Whiskey Golem, a fancier version than mine, has some annoyingly tiny and fragile parts, mostly with its additional goblin figures.

But so far my one experience with them has been pretty okay.

• Like 2

Some of these resin models have arms and legs smaller than the drill bits.

The Impact! chibis, the small ones...  They've basically a 100mm head on a 10mm body. :zombie:  I literally had one snap when I picked it up... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

@Smokestack - The Kingdom Death plastics are made by the same people who do the Malifaux plastics, and have about the same levels of fiddliness. So, be prepared!

Personally, I love the current generation of hard plastic minis that companies like Malifaux are putting out. Sure they can be a pain in the bum to assemble and you have to be careful not too lose those almost microscopic pieces, but I find them a doddle to put together compared to any multi-part metal mini.

Which brings me to the worst, Infinity. Almost as many parts as a plastic mini, but in harsh, unforgiving metal. There was one I picked up (an Aleph girl), and she had a four part head, the main head bit, two tiny antenna that attached to the sides and a massive bundle of hair that weighted about as much as the the rest of the mini put together, but had the smallest connection point imaginable.

I actually managed to get her and the rest of the set assembled, then they fell apart when I tried to prime them, never went near the range again.

• Like 3

Yeah. I love the plastic miniatures. Plastic is my first choice then resin and then metal. Kingdom death looks very nice but scares me. I bought into it for the minis. And from what I see on line I don't think I will be disapointed. Unless I mangle the assembly too much.

I almost finished my Malifaux box last night. Except for the mannequins... The only model I messed up on was the one I wanted the most. It's a performer/show girls. She has a big hoopety dress. To assemble you have to glue he'd legs to the back half of the dress. The legs are crossed so it's a bit if a pain. I finally got them "right" based in the picture. But then the front half of the dress didn't fit.

I  have lots of issues fitting some of the stuff from Helldorado.  They come in a gajillion small peaces!

I have noticed this as well.

The worst mini I've ever put together was the GW tomb scorpion, metal version.  I'm usually really really good at any kind of assembly, but this had me pulling out my hair.  So I went surfing the internet to see if anyone had tips, which is when I discovered almost everyone (particularly on the GW boards) said it was either hardest or second hardest mini they'd ever.  Some said the Screaming Skull Catapult was worse.  I found more horrible conversions where people just took the tomb scorpion, tacked on a couple of the 8 legs, and then sculpted junk around it like it was rising up out of sand.

• Like 1