Best/worst models to assemble...

Smokestack

I'm working on a D&D Collector's Series Umber Hulk for a client that's been an absolute disaster to assemble.  First off, the thing is made from super brittle resin - no exaggeration the antennae broke off when I breathed on them too heavily.  Second, the fit of parts is absolutely terrible - no room for pinning and huge gaps.  Third, with heavy forearms on spindly upper limbs and a huge torso on weak legs, the thing will eventually collapse under it's own weight - shipping the finished piece so that it won't break in transit will be a royal pain.  I've almost test flown the thing the across the room several times now as it keeps coming apart.  Can't wait until I get rid of the damned thing.

The Egg

is that the gale force nine umber hulk? I was thinking about getting that for someone for christmas, I may have reconsidered now though.

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on a D&D Collector's Series Umber Hulk for a client that's been an absolute disaster to assemble.  First off, the thing is made from super brittle resin - no exaggeration the antennae broke off when I breathed on them too heavily.  Second, the fit of parts is absolutely terrible - no room for pinning and huge gaps.  Third, with heavy forearms on spindly upper limbs and a huge torso on weak legs, the thing will eventually collapse under it's own weight - shipping the finished piece so that it won't break in transit will be a royal pain.  I've almost test flown the thing the across the room several times now as it keeps coming apart.  Can't wait until I get rid of the damned thing.

The Egg

is that the gale force nine umber hulk? I was thinking about getting that for someone for christmas, I may have reconsidered now though.

Yup.  That's the one.  FYI, the right arm broke off at the elbow as I tried to trim excess flash from it yesterday.  What a piece of crap.

The Egg

• Like 3

Yup.  That's the one.  FYI, the right arm broke off at the elbow as I tried to trim excess flash from it yesterday.  What a piece of crap.

The Egg

I found a picture of the spru and those antenna do look stupid hard to attach.

The "thumb" claws look like they could be pinned if you grind down a hard wire (like a paperclip) to make something thin enough.

It sounds like the one you are working on is incredibly brittle, I wonder if other figures from that line have similar problems?

Has it been exposed to extreme hot or cold? Some plastics like this can get like that if they get too hot or cold.

I have bought a few of the GF9 minis, and all tend to be a bit brittle.  part of the reason I stay away from other resin minis.

I can't speak for all resin minis, but the resin used at Hearth Stone Miniatures is extremely resilient (for resin). I have one of their larger pieces (The Chuppa) and it was a dream to assemble (and I suffered from no breakage, for once).

• Like 1

Let's see....

GW's RTB01 kit was.. intense as a first intro to the hobby many moons ago.

rtb01coverx.jpg

The Predator tank was cake next to that kit. Both my original Rogue Trader marines and tank have long since been gone. /tear/

Then, I got into AEG's Clan War. Still have all of these. The only assembly for most of these was attaching the mini to the base! HA! The metal dragons were not fun compared to the minis.

Much time passed...

Then along came a certain Bones KS project to re-kindle things inside. Maybe I'm being cantankerous, maybe I'm not. The hydra from the 1st Bones KS just makes me.. frown for some reason.

And in their finite wisdom, GW re-re-re-released, 4th ed, Space Hulk. I liked the Termies, except for the captain and the claws guy. I did not enjoy putting the main Genestealer together. Not sure why.

Finally, my Horus Heresy: Battle at Calth will be in this week. I have magnets ready to go for load out changes and am ready for model assembly.

• Like 2