Raistlarn

Colossal Scorpion?

Hi I've been looking for a colossal scorpion for d&d. A colossal creature means it takes up a roughly 6" base. I've talked to a friend and heard that Reaper made one in the past that was close to that size but it is OOP. Is this true, and is there any companies that make/made such a creature.

And to answer the other part of your question, I don't believe Reaper ever made a colossal scorpion. As far as I can tell, I have every scorpion Reaper ever made (including the old giant scorpion with the rider), and they never got above Large size, using D&D parlance.

Your friend may be thinking of the colossal spiders:

Here.

And here.

Check any Halloween shops around you. BIG scorpions are not as common as spiders, but if you find one, you'll pay 1/4th the price or less any mini manufacturer would charge for such a figure.

Emperors Choice / Arduin miniatures made a pretty big scorpion called they Grey Horror. I've seen it mentioned it being 90mm. I think someone might be trying to unload one cheap on ebay.

Here's a non-commercial archival web page showing the mini.

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:EmpCho-3501.jpg

Also there is an assortment of toy bugs that was recently (Few years ago) on the market that has a box of assorted enormous bugs for around $3 each. Another poster 'painted' one of the beetles that came in the assortment. The scorpion that was in the assortment was pretty much the same size as the beetle.

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 3

Thanks for the help.  I'll look into the Grey Horror.  Also after reading about checking the toy sellers; I've found 1 by Phil Seltzer on Amazon that is listed as 6".

If you don't mind an old plastic model, search for AMT Gigantics Scorpion.

IIRC it's at least 6" long, not counting the tail or pincers.

The box looks like this.

$_35.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks for the help.  I'll look into the Grey Horror.  Also after reading about checking the toy sellers; I've found 1 by Phil Seltzer on Amazon that is listed as 6".

Be cautious as I've seen some sellers list length bases on tail tip to other end of the body FYI. EDIT and THAT is the one...

6" from nose to tail (approximate)

2" body length

2.5" tail length

GREAT CALL on the AMT Gigantics Brother Jim! Only thing is the legs were not that strong so base it carefully!

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 1

It takes up about three 1" hexes.

If you look at the Bits section below, the body is about 1" long. It ships with a 1" square base for some reason, but can't possibly fit in that area.

Edited by etherial
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for giving me suggestions.  Thanks scorpio616 on the read the fine print part, because I almost bought that scorpion, which might still do good as a gargantuan scorpion, but not colossal.  

Thanks Brother Jim for stearing me on to the AMT Gigantics Scorpion, because it is a true colossal scorpin.  So I just ordered the one from AMT for ~$20 off ebay.

Next one I want to order is the AMT Gigantics Mantis for a colossal praying mantis.

• Like 1

Congrats!! Don't forget to brag...uuuu...I mean tell us when you get it (or now if you want to) in the Department of Acquisitions thread in the Off-Topic Rampancy section of the forums.  :bday:  ::D: 

And I agree with scorpio616 that the legs are pretty thin (and it's an old plastic model kit) so they might be fragile. I forgot about this in my previous post as I hadn't gotten around to putting the legs on the one that I used to own. I would suggest putting something under the body to help support its weight, and definitely put it on a base.

If you are not looking for something realistic, then there is a toy by Safari that I am adding to my Empire of Dust army -

81nG6DDM0OL._SL1500_.jpg

Less than $20 from Amazon.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

Thanks guys for giving me suggestions.  Thanks scorpio616 on the read the fine print part, because I almost bought that scorpion, which might still do good as a gargantuan scorpion, but not colossal.  

Thanks Brother Jim for stearing me on to the AMT Gigantics Scorpion, because it is a true colossal scorpin.  So I just ordered the one from AMT for ~$20 off ebay.

Next one I want to order is the AMT Gigantics Mantis for a colossal praying mantis.

I had both of those kits when I was a Young Grump... wish that I still had 'em!

I used the Mantis in one of my first D&D games - it attacked the largest thing in the party - and decapitated the Paladin's warhorse....

The Auld Grump - and then there is the movie 'The Deadly Mantis' - if you can look closely enough, you can read Tonka on the bottom of the bus that it the titular monster attacks....