Sign in to follow this  
DethStruck

Homemade Washes

I've tried making my own wash with the same ingredients (flow improver, Liquitex inks). However, I had problems with keeping them waterproof.

As soon as they got wet, they ran.

Have you had the same experience? Or maybe I just wasn't giving them enough drying/curing time.

I've been very happy with the base recipe from Les.  They do seem to take a bit longer to dry, so I'd think that would be your issue, Cranky Dog.  I also stuck with the Daler-Rowney inks; I don't have experience with Liquitex inks.

• Like 1

I've tried making my own wash with the same ingredients (flow improver, Liquitex inks). However, I had problems with keeping them waterproof.

As soon as they got wet, they ran.

Have you had the same experience? Or maybe I just wasn't giving them enough drying/curing time.

Inks don't behave the same way as paint. They certainly do dry but they can be reactivated with enough water or even paint.,

I have had problems with the inks reactivating when I got them wet as well.  One solution that seems to work (for me at least) is to give it few coats of brush on sealer applied with an airbrush.  I tried to brush in on at first but that seemed to "smear" the ink so I moved to the airbrush.  Another option is to make your washes with paint that way you do not have the same problem as the inks.  The proportions would be different, the effect would be different.

Keep experimenting and tell us what you find out.  ::):

If you're making your own washes, make sure you're adding matte medium. 

This is very important if inks are the base, but not quite as much if you are using regular acrylic paint. 

If you're making your own washes, make sure you're adding matte medium. 

Originally I didn't own matte medium.

Now I do, and I sort of figured that it could be used with a ink based wash, but haven't tried it yet.

My own recipe (which I haven't used in ages) uses Liquitex Transparent Burnt Umber which was recommended by a friend of mine who uses it as a universal wash for his Infinity minis.

Originally I didn't own matte medium.

Now I do, and I sort of figured that it could be used with a ink based wash, but haven't tried it yet.

My own recipe (which I haven't used in ages) uses Liquitex Transparent Burnt Umber which was recommended by a friend of mine who uses it as a universal wash for his Infinity minis.

The matte medium will provide some color-fastness to the ink, preventing water from reactivating it. ( As kormydigar alluded to.)