Sign in to follow this  
Auberon

Kingdom Death: Monster - Another Male Survivor - Zachary

Looks good, especially the face.  One bit of advice/suggestion is that the brightest highlight seems a little too close to Caucasian flesh, just a bit too bright.  Maybe it just needs to be softened where it meets the darker tones.   The broader highlight level looks perfect and might even be bright enough.  Just my thoughts.

• Like 4

Nice work. Agree, on maybe the highest hilight being either too bright or the darkest, not dark enough to read African., but you've done such a beautiful smooth perfect job....I'ld totally leave it!

• Like 1

For some reason I think that model would look really cool if it was converted to be holding a lightning bolt in his left hand.

Whole time I'm painting him I'm thinking he would make a really great Neptune, so right along the same line of thought!

African skin should definitely get some caucasian highlights, but I think you mis-fired with your edge highlight style. The forehead/face looks perfect, though.

Going to finish all the survivors and probably the lion before I finish this guy (Zachary is his name).

• Like 1

For some reason I think that model would look really cool if it was converted to be holding a lightning bolt in his left hand.

I did get a bit of a Greek god vibe from him too.

• Like 1

Looks good, especially the face.  One bit of advice/suggestion is that the brightest highlight seems a little too close to Caucasian flesh, just a bit too bright.  Maybe it just needs to be softened where it meets the darker tones.   The broader highlight level looks perfect and might even be bright enough.  Just my thoughts.

Nice work. Agree, on maybe the highest hilight being either too bright or the darkest, not dark enough to read African., but you've done such a beautiful smooth perfect job....I'ld totally leave it!

Whole time I'm painting him I'm thinking he would make a really great Neptune, so right along the same line of thought!

African skin should definitely get some caucasian highlights, but I think you mis-fired with your edge highlight style. The forehead/face looks perfect, though.

Going to finish all the survivors and probably the lion before I finish this guy (Zachary is his name).

Since we have a few comments along the same line, I'm just going to group them all together for ease of replying.

First up, the shadows.  For these figures I am just sticking with the eight paints in the flesh set to explore the extent of what I can do with them.  African Shadow is the darkest of them and, unless you want to go all the way to black, is dark enough for the shadows IMO.  It is also a shade of purple, which as we know from our color theory, is colder than the warmer reddish hue of the skin and will thus appear further away.  Now when I've done African skin with my Vallejo paints I have gone all the way to black, but I don't believe it is necessarily a requirement to reproduce the skin.

The highlight seems to have two parts, so I'll start with the color.  When I look at skin I see something that is far more of a spectrum than anything else.  What is a highlight color for one could be a midtone or even a shadow for another.  This is largely because people are far more alike than they are different  and the same basic building blocks are to be found.  As such, I would say that some of the paints which are used in caucasian, indian, polynesian, etc skin can be used for african skin and vice versa.  Now I have color sampled some african where the highlight has much more of a purple tint than what I have here, so next time I may try a touch of my shadow color in my highlight and see what shifting it towards mauve will do.

Now as to my actual application of the above, like all painting, there is room for improvement.  In this case what I actually did was painted the highlights as high as I normally would, and then tried for even higher contrast and went one step further.  What you are seeing here is that I covered up almost all of my previous highlight and so the transition is too sudden.  If I was one of those fancy european artists I'd probably have to find a way to take my highlights up to white.   :;):

There is however a benefit to overhighlighting, and that is when observed from three feet away under regular old ceiling lighting he is still defined in a way that would not have been as noticeable without that one last highlight.  Yay tabletop viewing distance and conditions!

• Like 2

And turn those faces into clouds... I hope he's wearing undies :blink:

Beautiful job on him ^_^

• Like 1

Amazing highlights on his hair, his skin, and his cloth. I feel like I can tell exactly where the light is coming at on him. He looks fantastic.

• Like 1