MkII A-Wing: 100% scratchbuild (pic heavy)

Ironhammer

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorgeous!  And I am especially impressed by the teensy-tiny astromech.  Now you've got me wondering what might be a suitable upgrade for a TFA Y-Wing.  :)

I was toying with the idea of something that might look like a hybrid between a Y-wing and a B-wing, since B-wings fill kind of the same role.

• Like 1

Gorgeous!  And I am especially impressed by the teensy-tiny astromech.  Now you've got me wondering what might be a suitable upgrade for a TFA Y-Wing.  :)

I was toying with the idea of something that might look like a hybrid between a Y-wing and a B-wing, since B-wings fill kind of the same role.

Nice!  Now I find myself imagining various ways to combine elements of them.  :)  I suppose it might also be helpful to look at some of the Clone Wars designs, because some of those ships seem to basically take elements from the ships of the trilogy movies and recombine them.  (I can't help but imagine something that borrows elements from the B-Wing, Y-Wing, and the Clone Wars T-6 shuttle, what with its rotating wing/body effect.)

• Like 1

Nice!  Now I find myself imagining various ways to combine elements of them.  :)  I suppose it might also be helpful to look at some of the Clone Wars designs, because some of those ships seem to basically take elements from the ships of the trilogy movies and recombine them.  (I can't help but imagine something that borrows elements from the B-Wing, Y-Wing, and the Clone Wars T-6 shuttle, what with its rotating wing/body effect.)

The T-6 shuttle drove me crazy when I saw it.  I'd had basically the exact same idea years before!  :(

Seriously though, they did a lot of really creative stuff on that show.  It would be nice to see FFG come out with some of them.  Perhaps a Clone Wars expansion will come out one day.

• Like 1

The T-6 shuttle drove me crazy when I saw it.  I'd had basically the exact same idea years before!  :(

Seriously though, they did a lot of really creative stuff on that show.  It would be nice to see FFG come out with some of them.  Perhaps a Clone Wars expansion will come out one day.

Here's hoping!  For my own games (where I sometimes use Clone Wars era craft in the fleets of space pirates and such), I've tried pinning down official sizes, calculating the scale, and trying to find toys/models that fit FFG's scale.  I've got a mish-mash of "Star Wars Miniatures Starship Battle" and old Micro Machines and even some Titanium die-cast toys that, due to the randomness of scale in these things (they're toys, after all, so you get a Titanium Star Destroyer and a Rebel Blockade Runner and a Millennium Falcon and an X-Wing and an A-Wing that are all pretty close to the same size to fit onto the same blister rack) somehow work out by being in the ballpark if not exactly on target.  However, there are so many conflicting sources on the proper sizes for some of these vehicles, it seems impossible for me to get it "right."

I'm partial to the Clone Wars-era Y-Wing, which is pretty beefy in size compared to the original-trilogy "snub fighters."  After all, it's supposed to be a "bomber."  I used a Titanium model for that, and it requires a larger (Firespray-sized) base.  For the ARC-170, I ended up having to come up with a custom extra-wide base ... and I don't think I've really managed to pin down a model at quite the right size.  It's always just a little too big or too small, or the details are too toy-like to be anything but embarrassing near an FFG model, even with a repaint.

For V-Wings, I used the models from the Star Wars Starship Battles line.  Ditto for the Jedi Starfighter and Jedi Interceptor, even though those ships shouldn't be the same size as each other.  With a little paint touch-up they come out looking rather sharp, and "good enough for eyeballing it" when it comes to scale.  There are a few other models that work well from that line scale-wise, but they're almost always bendy beyond belief -- anything with long wings or extended guns or a long nose is going to be a mess.

• Like 1