Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Bones in the dishwasher

So, I'm sitting here looking at my DDS set, and wondering if it would be easier to just toss it in the dishwasher, rather than scrubbing it by hand. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

So, I'm sitting here looking at my DDS set, and wondering if it would be easier to just toss it in the dishwasher, rather than scrubbing it by hand. 

Thoughts?

Don't dishwashers generally get hot? this seems like a bad plan to me

• Like 2

No experience with bones and dishwashers, but I'd be wary of trying as well.  The cycle is probably hot enough to get them soft and I would expect them to come out like some sort of melted zombie apocolypse.

Boiling water in your kettle: 212F 

average dishwasher: 130-170F

IF I was going to try it, and I'm not, I'd get one of those mesh lingerie bags to keep them in and put it on the top rack and run the shortest cycle.  Don't use detergent, it leaves a film on plastics. 

• Like 6

Boiling water in your kettle: 212F 

average dishwasher: 130-170F

IF I was going to try it, and I'm not, I'd get one of those mesh lingerie bags to keep them in and put it on the top rack and run the shortest cycle.  Don't use detergent, it leaves a film on plastics. 

I'd even go so far, if you aren't in a Drought-stricken wasteland (or California...), to run a short rinse cycle with nothing in the dishwasher first, to clear out any gunk and residue that might be in the dishwasher. 

• Like 1

Part of the problem is keeping them I'm place as Inarah alludes to. I know anything plastic, like Tupperware, that I put in the dishwaser gets knocked around by the spray jets unless I firmly wedge it somehow.

Maybe you can recruit some poor goblin or skellie to do a test spin for you. "in the wash with you ,Gobo!" :-)

• Like 2

I've got a steel mesh basket for smaller pieces that can go in the dishwasher... Mostly I was thinking for the tower bits. 

• Like 1

In the baby department of modt stores they carry a plastic "bin" for bottles that is placed in the top rack. I would use something like this IF I were to do such a thing.

However, dishwashers are nasty. Full of soap/detergent scum, water deposits, and food bits. I would not wash my minis in one.

I wash my dishes by hand.

• Like 1

The last time I used my dishwasher was... Oh... 7 or 8 months ago probably. *shrug* we'll see how it goes. I can always rewash it by hand if it doesn't work. 

• Like 4

The last time I used my dishwasher was... Oh... 7 or 8 months ago probably. *shrug* we'll see how it goes. I can always rewash it by hand if it doesn't work.

Lol! I hope your gaskets aren't dried out from disuse, and the thing leaks water all over your floor!

In the baby department of modt stores they carry a plastic "bin" for bottles that is placed in the top rack. I would use something like this IF I were to do such a thing.

However, dishwashers are nasty. Full of soap/detergent scum, water deposits, and food bits. I would not wash my minis in one.

I wash my dishes by hand.

1. Clean out (by hand) all chunks, food, bone, etc etc. Wipe down seals etc.
  2. About a cup of vingaer in a cup on the top rack, run on the shortest cycles normal heat. 
  3. Then a cup of Backing soda, dump it out as evenly as possible along the bottom. Run on short cycle, HIGH heat! 
  4. Enjoy a brand new smelling and looking dishwasher.
  5. NOTE: Do not use the backing soda step if the inside of your machine is aluminum.
  • Like 5

I definitely wouldn't put any of my minis in my dishwasher. I only use mine because I'm lazy and then end up scrubbing residue off afterwards anyway.

....I have just realized that I officially care more about my minis than the things that I put my food on. :lol:

• Like 8