• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a NaNo fan. I haven't written anything, pretty much, in over a year now, though, so I'm halfway considering a NotNo wherein I just write enough to cover the daily word count. Maybe crank out some stories that way. Count words on poems and mix them in, aimlessly. I don't know. Now that I'm finally getting over the whole painting itch that's subsumed my life since last summer I kind of feel like I need to get back to not writing.

In the spirit of things, have some ideas in the queue that include a marriage failing around a D&D campaign, a woman's looking up her former lover who has since become an avid painter of miniatures, and maybe even a series of poems chronicling RPG experiences because if Zep can write songs about hobbits why not.

• Like 1

I actually dicked around and wrote 2400 words, yesterday. Finished up a story that's been lacking it's last 1400 words for six, eight, something, months, and then started bullstuffting to get that other 200 words and crapped out a short-short story. I guess. I'm not sure I feel happy about any of it, and I'm not sure I'll have the time and energy to maintain. Even today. But there it is, FWIW, so far.

• Like 1

Pep talk time!  How's everyone doing?

I'm going to share my moment of fun for the day.  I was stuck in a meeting this morning, but planned ahead for the spreadsheet eye glaze effect and brought my notebook.  Only 200 words, but at least the time was not lost.  Write on!!

I got a few great books on plotting.  The one I liked best was James Scott Bell's Plot and Structure.  It helped me plan how I wanted my story to unfold.  Story Engineering was good as well.  But if you think about it, there are only a finite number of plots.  It isn't wrong to pick one you like and adapt it to your idea.  We all write differently.  Even given the same writing prompt, we'll come up with completely different stories.  So, the way I understand it, borrowing is perfectly valid and sometimes fixes the wandering plot beastie.

• Like 1

I've discovered I might need a new writing environment if I'm going to churn out anything substantial this month.  I get to easily distracted in my current location.  Or I just might stubbornly keep at it.  I've read Plot and Structure, and I got a bunch of ideas from it.  Well enough forum reading time to get to writing.

• Like 1

I skip around when writing and write whatever chapter I feel strongest about.  When I get to the point where I have everything I want to write written, then I start the grind and fix all the transitions and fill in the gaps with the stuff I know I have to write.  It's un-fun, but it doesn't mean I don't have an idea where I want to go, just that some parts sing to me and others grumble.  I feel relief with the push, because for me, that's the hardest part.  And it's the aspect of writing that makes me feel like I'm working enough to justify the time I spend.  I'm a crazy Puritan that way.  If it isn't hard, it isn't worth doing.  If I'm skating through, I'm not challenging myself enough.

I write best when falling asleep at night, which is annoying because that's when my computer is hibernating and I don't have a pen.  Sigh.  I've started jotting down notes on stickies I leave by the bedside so I don't forget the next morning.  But having the cooking channel on in the background fuels my creativity.  And no, I'm not writing a cookbook! :poke:

Environment is important.  There's always a nice balance between enough background noise and peace for creativity.  I take long walks when I'm working out fight scenes because the exercise helps me think in a mobile way.

Keep up the great work everyone!!!

• Like 1

I write best when falling asleep at night, which is annoying because that's when my computer is hibernating and I don't have a pen.  Sigh.  I've started jotting down notes on stickies I leave by the bedside so I don't forget the next morning. 

I've done the same.  An easy solution is to keep you phone/tablet near you at that time.  Get an idea, just open a note, hit the microphone, speak the idea into the phone, and go to bed.  In the morning, the transcribed note is usually clear enough that you can clean it up and use it.  I've written whole pages that way.

• Like 1

Pep talk time!  How's everyone doing?

I'm going to share my moment of fun for the day.  I was stuck in a meeting this morning, but planned ahead for the spreadsheet eye glaze effect and brought my notebook.  Only 200 words, but at least the time was not lost.  Write on!!

I used to draw during meetings at the old bomber plant. I signed up last year, but I was a dismal failure. And the laptop I saved the work on decided it didn't want to live last December or so.

All I had was a plot outline, well an outline, didn't have an ending.

I got a few great books on plotting.  The one I liked best was James Scott Bell's Plot and Structure.  It helped me plan how I wanted my story to unfold.  Story Engineering was good as well.  But if you think about it, there are only a finite number of plots.  It isn't wrong to pick one you like and adapt it to your idea.  We all write differently.  Even given the same writing prompt, we'll come up with completely different stories.  So, the way I understand it, borrowing is perfectly valid and sometimes fixes the wandering plot beastie.

I saw a TV interview with an author today. It was on PBS. And here it is. This author writes the ending first and then constructs backwards. He starts by knowing how it has to end up and then he is figuring out how it got there. He explains it better in the interview.

• Like 1

I am trying to do NaNo this year! :D

My project is abut a traditional scandinavian "Tomte", or "Fjøsnisse". His farm is replaced with two modern city blocks, but he's still there. No outline or plan, but I figure that doing something is better than doing nothing ;)

• Like 2