I have these circular magnets, 3/4-inch in diameter, filling a small box in my garage, and I thought I might have a use for them. I had heard about using washers and a magnetic base for transporting figures, and figured it might work in reverse.

post-13048-0-48324700-1445661887_thumb.jpeg

As the photo shows, they fit nearly perfectly in a Reaper 1-inch base, and raise it up about 1/16-inch above the table's surface.

I figured out which side of the magnets was north (by dangling a stack of them from a string), and I glued about magnets into six bases with the north pole facing up. I even had a holiday cookie tin selected for holding them in place for transport.

It all worked well until I tried to arrange them together... and they scattered. (Oh duh, of course.) The two figures on the right are about as close as they can get, about 1/8-inch apart. Any closer, and one will get pushed up to a half inch away. And if one of the magnets is reversed, they (of course) jump together.

It's absolutely useless for playing any miniatures game with rules for base contact, which is nearly all of them that don't use a grid... and grid placement would be fiddly at best, and a nuisance at worst.

Meh. Out the magnets came. Let that be a lesson on what not to do for basing.

• Like 7
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those magnets would be usable if you had a model or two on big bases. Giants, Dragons, Mumaks, Dinosaurs...etc. 

Set three or four 3/16ths back from the edge of a big base. Also a single magnet at the middle of a 30/40/50mm round.

• Like 1

Ah, at first when I read the title, I thought you were talking about flexible magnetic strips.

Those strips can be found it different sizes, are easy to cut and paste, and are strong enough to keep a mini in place without being drawn to the neighboring mini.

Knowing myself, I would've probably tried the same thing as you with those ring magnets, and then find the same flaw.

• Like 1

Those magnets would be usable if you had a model or two on big bases. Giants, Dragons, Mumaks, Dinosaurs...etc. 

Set three or four 3/16ths back from the edge of a big base. Also a single magnet at the middle of a 30/40/50mm round.

Yes, that'll work. They may also work for a pewter mini on a 25mm base, with the added weight holding them down. But not for the much lighter Bones figures, and not for these bases, and those are the figures and bases I have the most of. Sigh. And I have over 300 of these magnets.

I have this idea of using them for connecting certain terrain pieces, like castle walls. If I arrange the magnets in right-North, left-South fashion on each end, they would naturally connect and align. But it's limited to things that are at least 3/4" tall and 1-1/2" wide. (And don't ask me if I can cut them -- I tried, and wore out a Dremel cutting disk cutting just one of them.)

• Like 1

Ah, at first when I read the title, I thought you were talking about flexible magnetic strips.

Those strips can be found it different sizes, are easy to cut and paste, and are strong enough to keep a mini in place without being drawn to the neighboring mini.

Knowing myself, I would've probably tried the same thing as you with those ring magnets, and then find the same flaw.

I have a couple of those, cut to 3/4" disks, with self-adhesive foam backing, that I found in a craft store. Those work just fine, because they're much weaker, and seem to have alternating strips of N-S magnetic alignment, so they'll stick together face-to-face.

It's where I got the idea.

• Like 1

Litko makes magnetic bottoms that, while not deep enough, work well. They have two types, flex steel and magnetic. Magnetic is as you would expect and acts as a magnet. Flex steel does not have a magnetic field but is magnetic. I have some alea tools magnetic markers and they work well when I use flex steel under a reaper base. I don't have any experience with the actual magnetic bottoms so I don't know if it is strong enough to hold for transport. Both types are rather thin, so may not be adequate for what you are after. If the magnets you have are strong enough though you can probably get the flex steel, put those on the bottom of your bases and attach the current magnets to whatever transport you use. This should provide a strong bond when you are moving them but since the flex steel has no magnetic field itself would not interfere in using the mini's at all.

• Like 1

What you can do is use washers that react strongly to magnets and put them on the base.  Then put the magnet on the transport and the mini with washer on that.  The magnet grips both the washer and the transport medium.  Test the washers with a magnet when you buy them.  Not all of them are attracted strongly.  (PS I know of this because I started my quest like you.  Just about a month ago I had an epiphany and came up with this.  It does work.)

• Like 1

Yeah. I've thought about using all those ring magnets in a grid at the bottom of a transport box. That might work, with either flex steel, as you say, or washers.

I know about and have lusted over the Alea Tools magnetic markers.

The Alea Tools markers are really great, only ever have an issues if you have a large stack of them under a mini with another mini that has some, the fields start to push them apart. I managed to get in on their kickstarter and am quite happy with how they function, problems aside.

• Like 1

I have a unit of 50 warhammer skeletons mounted on 20mm magnet bases. It's really cheap to buy these. Cheaper than the plastic bases. But it does require you to do the entire unit in one go, as shifting them around is rather troublesome.

• Like 1