Sign in to follow this  
TGP

ArtistCon Bones Giant Conversions

I guess I got to the event between 11 and 12. The second order of business was to sign up for classes.

The first class I could get into was a Conversion class conducted by Jason Weibe. The theme was to convert the big Bones Skeleton (77116) possibly on a Halloween theme.

It was great fun and towards the end I started snapping pictures of our efforts. I got a picture (or in some cases two pics) of almost everybody's giant. Enjoy:

post-7586-0-26146100-1445736975_thumb.jpg

post-7586-0-17871800-1445736998_thumb.jpg

post-7586-0-01308000-1445737022_thumb.jpg

These two show the ongoing work in progress: above no horns, below sprouted horns...

post-7586-0-37380200-1445737228_thumb.jpg

post-7586-0-43645300-1445737901_thumb.jpg

post-7586-0-31397800-1445737935_thumb.jpg

post-7586-0-57843500-1445738021_thumb.jpg

post-7586-0-75815400-1445738105_thumb.jpg

These two show the Bones Giant  (and crew, and hangers on) crafted by DixonGrfx: above front-ish view, below back view...

post-7586-0-03338500-1445738144_thumb.jpg

post-7586-0-59423800-1445738162_thumb.jpg

Edited by TGP
  • Like 20

I saw these on Facebook, they're all really cool.  The one with the wings for arms is probably my favorite conversion as it looks like it was supposed to be that way.

• Like 2

I saw these on Facebook, they're all really cool.  The one with the wings for arms is probably my favorite conversion as it looks like it was supposed to be that way.

Agreed!

The green sharpie is in most of the pictures to establish scale. Bone Giant stands about 4-5 inches tall (in stock condition).

I really like that one as well. Makes you wonder if it was a giant harpy when it was alive.

Jason also shot a set of pics and I suspect those are the ones that made it to facebook.

Ahhhh reminds me of last RAC ( that is where I made my two headed giant skeleton conversion)

If I dig and search will it be found somewhere on the forums?

Those are great!

Looking forward to seeing them painted up!

That will be up to the individual owners, if they have logins on the forums, etc. Going forward I will do cross-links to their WiP painting threads if I learn of them or get a PM about them.

I will use this thread if I get ambitious enough to attempt putting paint on the one I did. (Mine was the one summoned by the mousling necromancer. Beware! the mousling necromancer—big things can be summoned from small scrolls.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

This one is mine. If I had found more of the smaller skellies, they would be all over him. :)

Thanx Dixon. I have gone back and added a caption and credit to the initial post.

Edited by TGP

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Peithetairos
      Finally I finished my conversion of Nienna Elfen Ranger. I pretty much changed every aspect of the original mini.

New things attempted: Cloth textures and freckles.

C&C very welcome.

Areas to improve: Blends (smoother is always better), finer texture patterns, sculpt could be a little cleaner in some places.

• By CaptainPete
      Since I suggested it, I guess I'll do it...
      Here's a thread to discuss what horror movies, books, shows, comics, and etc that you're looking forward to watching during the holiday.
      I'm actually thinking about doing a Scooby-Doo movie marathon:
      Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island
      Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost
      Scooby-Doo Meets KISS: A Magical Mystery (yes, this movie exists)
      Scooby-Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost

What about the rest of you?

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi folks.  I've got plenty of minis painted from the last two years to slowly share with you all.  Here we have the D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures Human Druid 73390.  I was in need of a Firbolg Monk for my party, and Nolzur's had yet to release any of their firbolg models.  Since the character would be traversing a frigid wasteland, I also wanted to find a character who was properly clothed - no sleeveless/shirtless monks for me.  I settled on this character because he was properly rangery and most importantly - bearded.

I chopped off his sword and the antlers on his back, glued a toothpick to his empty hand, sculpted some acceptable ears using green stuff and gave him some paint.  I really like how it turned out and it managed to feel like the perfect blend between monk and naturalist.

Though i must admit, his face is a bit muppety.

More Photos Below the Spoiler:

Pau, is a Firbolg from the tribes of Frostrun. He set out on a pilgrimage like many Firbolg do, and found himself at a monastery to the south, at the edge of the Frost.  The monastery, besides providing shelter to the wary traveler, depicted a statue of Firbolg.  Pau took this as a sign and spent several years training in the way of the Four Elements.  Armed with this new power, Pau has set back out to the North to return home and restore order to Frostrun.

Check out the rest of the Frostrun project HERE.

What kind of conversions have you done to make the perfect character?
    • By odinsgrandson
      Ok, this is a mini that I made as a joke for a friend of mine. He GMs a lot of games, and has always been a bit fascinated by the fact that the Half Dragon template can be added to almost any kind of creature. Including ones that reproduce by dividing.
      Truly, the biology of dragons is a wonder.
      Anyway, he got to completely wreck the party with this Half Black Dragon Gelatinous Cube.
      I made it by combining some parts from an invisible dragon and gelatinous cube minis (both from Reaper’s Bones line). I used water effect for gap filling and a bit of sculpting, and added a little color with some thinned down paints. I wanted to give the impression that it picks up debris from the floor as it moves along.
      Except for the eyes, which are totally opaque so that they can show up. Seriously, I think they’re the only part that really shows up at all in the pictures, but you get the idea.

In an unrelated project for the same friend, I found a really strange bit that I think is supposed to be the head of a dragon, but seriously looks like a half dragon spider. So that got painted too.
      Man, dragons really make some poor choices.

• By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)