Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

MSP Bones HD paints..

Thanks Bryan! 

Awesome. :) I will adjust the spreadsheet accordingly and make certain to assist in spreading the accurate word.

What is this spreadsheet you are referring to and how can I get my hands on it (I'm not sure what it is, but sounds like something I might want :D)??

Thanks Bryan!

Awesome. :) I will adjust the spreadsheet accordingly and make certain to assist in spreading the accurate word.

What is this spreadsheet you are referring to and how can I get my hands on it (I'm not sure what it is, but sounds like something I might want :D)??

I made a spreadsheet for myself to keep track of my paint inventory.

• Like 3

I made a spreadsheet for myself to keep track of my paint inventory.

Ah cool, I only use an Evernote note (more than anything for reference when purchasing online since I can't really keep track of the colors I already have by memory), but a spreadsheet makes sense as the next logical step

Bryan, at the risk of beating the issue into the ground, does this mean that the new paints will have similar adhesion and coverage on Bones as existing HD paints, or will the new paints behave closer to the miracle sticking power of the Liners? 

I've already had good results painting Bones with HD paints, but I still tend to cling to that need to start with a thin coat of Brown Liner.  If I could ditch that step I would be more willing to pick up yet more paints.  Plus it would be even easier to evangelize the merits of Reaper paints if they have maximum sticking power. 

• Like 1

Mmmm, okay guessing here. I think the MSP liners use a different base and these are specifically an offshoot of the HDs so I'm going to say that the adhesion will be the same as the rest of the HD line. DO NOT take that as gospel because I don't know.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3

Thanks for the clarification, Bryan! So the Bones line is equivalent to the HD line, but designed specifically with Bones miniatures in mind. Sounds great to me!

• Like 3

Bryan, at the risk of beating the issue into the ground, does this mean that the new paints will have similar adhesion and coverage on Bones as existing HD paints, or will the new paints behave closer to the miracle sticking power of the Liners? 

I've already had good results painting Bones with HD paints, but I still tend to cling to that need to start with a thin coat of Brown Liner.  If I could ditch that step I would be more willing to pick up yet more paints.  Plus it would be even easier to evangelize the merits of Reaper paints if they have maximum sticking power. 

Anne would be more the expert on the precise formulas, but I think that there are differences in the composition of our liners and our "paints". As such, these would more likely be similar to the HD paints, albeit with some sight tweaking designed to bring the hydrophobic properties of Bones and adhesion under control. That said, I cannot be sure whether they're closer to the Liners or the "paints", although we did give prototype formula sets to several key artists to try and use while they were here for the RAC, so perhaps one of them will be able to chime in after a suitable testing and learning time.

Bear in mind that my usage of the words might differ from what the words sound like they imply - to me the formula remains the same on all products that share it, even if the recipe (the specific pigments) changes. There are several formulas in use, each for various uses and to combat or control specific behaviors of the product. But for example, Color A and Color B might use the same Formula, although they use wildly different recipes. Think of the formula as everything that goes into the paint except the pigments, and the recipe as the pigments plus any additives that those pigments require in order to behave properly (pigments are themselves notoriously translucent, so a product with a lot of pigment relative to the amount of base might require some additional additives to improve opacity, for example).

Brown Liner was a happy accident discovery. If said accident contributed in any small way to the new colours, neato, but we'd probably never know.  It's entirely possible nobody knows why brown liner does what it does, it just does. 

So far it also works on other plastics, too.  I essentially just treat MSP liners as brush-on plastic primer now.

• Like 12

Brown Liner was a happy accident discovery. If said accident contributed in any small way to the new colours, neato, but we'd probably never know.  It's entirely possible nobody knows why brown liner does what it does, it just does. 

So far it also works on other plastics, too.  I essentially just treat MSP liners as brush-on plastic primer now.

We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents...  :;):

+1 what buglips said... brown liner is the bees knees!

*whispers* Brown liner has goblin mud in it. That's why it sticks so well.

• Like 4

We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents...  :;):

+1 what buglips said... brown liner is the bees knees!

Grey Liner thinned about 50% works great through an airbrush for doing Bones as well. Did my DDS2 terrain with it.... Aces up!

George

• Like 5

How do you use the lines? i have some but never used them, still find the reaper paints a little hydriphobic in a sense that just a little water makes them too much watery :). I mean other paints tolerate more water , but with Reaper , i put some and it works but its more difficult to handle, sometimes i need to paint more like with painting with glazes. Its different with the liners? i paint on the Bones miniatures without primer, but i find that both the minis and the paint are a little hidrophobic :)