dsmiles

Foundations 2 by Forge Prints

So last night we printed off a few more models and applied the "wet" finish to them.  Attached is some pictures of the jungle base, rive base, green tentacales, and crone.  The left side in each picture is the wet treatment and the right side is the matte finish.

Let me know what you think!

Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

Image7

Image8

Image9

Image10

Image11

I think you're going to get a lot of personal preference on this but in my opinion...

Jungle - Wet - Looks more like a tropical rainforest to me

River - Torn - Love the look of the wet water, but I could see myself trying to matte the grass and leaving the water and rocks by the waters edge wet.

Tentacle - Wet - Slimy goodness

Crone - Matte - Wet didn't look natural to me on a person/clothing.

My question with the wet finish would be: How well does the wet finish take a matte sealer? I would imagine it's easier to apply a matte sealer selectively over the wet finish, then a glossy sealer over pre-existing texture (although I admit, I haven't tried it yet on the bases I have, and will put this on my todo list). For example, if you wanted to cover the bases beveled edge or grass areas in matte .

And after seeing what the wet finish looks like my first thought is... A swamp base (something like Secret Weapons Blasted Wetlands line) would look great using the wet finish. My second thought was if you're expanding out of bases, Oozes/Jellies/Slimes would also be great monsters in the wet finish, and probably have a fairly low art cost.

Side Note: I also thought the mushroom had chipped in handling. I think it was the combination that there were multiple chips and it was bright white on the inside that lead me to that conclusion.

I think what we are going to do is simply allow the customer to choose either wet or matte finish per object.  That is probably the best overall solution, we will update the preview kickstarter to reflect this!

We are also going to experiment with ordering bulk black plastic bases with the slight bevel in the top (like privateer press bases) and print inserts that we will set into the bevel.  The savings of only printing the inserts should hopefully make up for the cost of the plastic bases?  This wont happen in time for this kickstarter but its something we will be introducing in the near future, and when our retail site finally goes live it will be there as well.  Whats your thoughts on taking this approach?

We also have some new sculpts going up this weekend and should have pricing and stretch goals updated shortly as well! were looking on track for a kickstarter launch at the end of next week!!

Very exciting for us :)

Once again thanks everyone for your incredibly helpful comments and criticisms

Kevin and the Forge Prints team!

The wet looks better but Id have to get them in my hands to be ceratin. The crone is killing me. i really like the model but the roughness  just irks me. Is there any way to smoth it or polish it? Would sand paper work or just destroy the features?

We are also going to experiment with ordering bulk black plastic bases with the slight bevel in the top (like privateer press bases) and print inserts that we will set into the bevel.  The savings of only printing the inserts should hopefully make up for the cost of the plastic bases?  This wont happen in time for this kickstarter but its something we will be introducing in the near future, and when our retail site finally goes live it will be there as well.  Whats your thoughts on taking this approach?

I'm a fan of this approach. Less wear on your printer for parts that are stock and easily mass produced in plastic. CMON ran the Micro Art Bases (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/coolminiornot-base-system-featuring-micro-art-stud/comments) using inserts and stock plastic and IMHO they work quite well. Dab of superglue and it's done.

We have been experimenting with all sorts of finishing techniques amuller33, but all good questions!

When we first get the pieces off of the printer they are the most "fragile" the material that comes out is like a really strong colored chalk basically we do have to brush the pieces well to get rid of any loose powder, the worse job we do in cleaning the model the more "white" effect you get like you see in some of the pictures. you can sand the model at this point to smooth it out before you apply the finishing chemicals. after that point we can either then finish it with a matte finish as you have seen to date or we can do the "wet" finish that i recently started to show.

After the model is left to sit for a bit it is literally a stone statue or base or marker. It has all the characteristics of stone and can be worked on much more aggressively. for the uncolored models like dsmiles has it would probably not be a big deal to sand them down since he is going to paint on it anyway. For the full color pieces the color is actually fused in the stone itself for about a millimeter or two thick shell into the stone. If you chisled the crone in half you would see the middle of the statue is pure white and the color is infused about a mm or two into the stone. The technology we use is not like the old 3d color printing that is simply inkjet ink laid down over the powder its actual color "binder" that is blended to make the colors this provides substantially better color in the end. So if you sanded a piece after it was finished there is a bit of "color" in the model and you probably would not sand deeper then the color shell but it may give it a scuffed look?

We will continue to experiment with it and if you experiment with any of the product we sent you from the original foundations let us know your results.

We also added a few updates to the preview kickstarter including a new giant collectible that will also be a creature model. They are WIP photo's and will be updated shortly. We had a sculpt issue we need to correct but its 95%

Thanks!

Kevin and the Forge Prints Team!

Just updated some more content on the preview including some in use photo's to show relative scale size for some of the items. Will have the rest of the items, pricing, and stretch goals updated shortly so were good for friday.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far!

Kevin and the Forge Prints Team

• Like 1

I just realized, your $10 pledge level says add up the prices and mix & match...but there's no price menu to add from. May want to get that in before you go live, so I can pledge appropriately. I'm gonna need a few objective markers, and a bunch of dungeon dressing. Probably some more bases, while I'm at it.

Speaking of which, I don't suppose you can scale up to a 120mm lipped river base, can you? If not, it's cool, I'll just model it with sculpey.

Price Menu will be uploaded shortly.  We are tweaking and trying to get the prices as low as possible for this kickstarter so we can get as much exposure as we can!

We can easily produce 120mm, do you want a single unpainted one? I don't think we will have time to make it a formal offering right now but can produce it as a one off for you :)

JCG will be happy the Dwarven Keg has been added!  Trying to get 2 more models up before friday as well, and a ton more in use photos!

Thanks,

Kevin and the Forge Prints Team.

Yes, unpainted, please. Just let me know how much to add in. I'm doing a Wasteland/Fury Road theme for my Thornfall Alliance, and with the right paint and a few scrub grass tufts, the river bases are perfect for a dried-up stream bed/rocky bluff. I haven't actually done one yet, but I have the colors all planned out. I started prepping Lord Carver on Sunday and hope to get him done and photographed this weekend.

We are putting up 2 last models tomorrow along with the price menu. After that is complete we will submit to Kickstarter for approval. One of the models is the rock worm. Honestly I feel it may be our best and by far creepiest model yet! It will be in 40 millimeter objective marker size as well as a 5 inch tall heroic boss monster / collectible statue size! I can't wait for feedback on that one. We also are putting up a mimic version of the wizard table.

When they are live I will update this thread!

Thanks Kevin and the Forge Prints team!

Attached is the Rock Worm link. This model is available as a small creature / objective marker with a 40MM base size or as a heroic boss / collectible standing 5 inches tall!

I would love any feedback, we are finalizing up the last details today and will be live shortly!

Thanks again for all of the feedback and review.

Kevin and the Forge Prints Team

• Like 1

Forge Prints was kind enough to send me a sample of "wet" finish for the pieces I ordered from the first KS. I have to say I really like the new finish. The color, contrast, and texture of the "wet" finish are better in my opinion. It's a massive difference on some of the pieces! As I already expressed earlier in the thread, IMHO the matte finishes were too rough and grainy for me on all except the flagstone. I've got a horde... uhhh I mean 20, bones figures waiting to be painted and based for tabletop use and I'm looking forward to the KS to get more of the "wet" finish bases for a quick finished look.

Here are some examples shot with just an iphone (so not the greatest quality) to give an idea of what the "wet" vs matte finishes look like.

Jungle - http://1drv.ms/1QfbZV1

River - http://1drv.ms/1WzcMFo

Flagstone - http://1drv.ms/1kv7olp  (This was the only one I think I like the matte better on)

Shipyard - http://1drv.ms/1QfbiLw

I plan to do some experimenting over the next couple days with some matte brush on/sprays to tone the shine down a bit on the flagstone (and maybe the grass areas of River), while hopefully retaining some contrast/color gain. Overall A+ on the new finish Forge Prints!

Edit: In case you couldn't guess, in all the pics the top one is Matte and the bottom one is Wet.

Edited by jcg
  • Like 1

Seeing as how I'm going with "unpainted," I'll stick with matte for the bases. I may go glossy on the objective markers and dungeon decor, though, and matte them down with matte varnish (pending your experiments).