dsmiles

Foundations 2 by Forge Prints

Forge Prints is at it again, this time with objective markers. They hope to have everything finalized by the end of the week, and be live by the end of next week.

I have bases from their first KS, and a few freebies that they threw in for good measure (including the Mushroom Clump objective marker that's featured here), and I like them. The bases take primer and paint well, if you get the un-colored versions. They feel slightly rough, but that's to be expected from 3D-printed models.

I had a positive experience with their first KS. Communication was good, and the product delivered on time. I'm still in communication with them, in fact (that's how I've been getting sneak peeks at the objective markers).

EDIT: Kickstarter is now Live!

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated
  • Like 4

I would agree, it looks like the same rough quality I've seen with Hero Forge standard level.

I have not been very impressed with anything 3d printed no matter the quality.

Looking at the columns, they should consider doing more sandstone type stuff. That might actually look better with the slightly grainy surface the printing seems to give than clean metal/resin castings would.

• Like 1

They absolutely should put minis next to the sculpts to show the size.

Some pictiures say 40mm base but the rest is very hard to estimate. :mellow:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback so far and thanks David for posting this!  We will absollutely add some pictures with some of our painted mini' s from say games workshop next to the stuff we are creating.  We hope to have that up by tomorrow.  The final product with the tech we have in house is a sandstone type material, we started with the printer technology from 2009 and we have since purchased that latest gen 2015 technology and have experimented with all types of products.

The advantages is you can print in full color, our printing process does not need any supports like consumer printers so you can create designs that are simply not possible on consumer printers and we are trying to take advantage of that fact.  The output material is a real natural for collectible statues so we have just started to experiment in that space, I know a few of us have looked over the years for cool fantasy collectibles for our homes and offices and have not found what we wanted so hopefully if there are similar people out there we can fill that need :)

All of the objective markers seem to work really really well with the printer, we are sizing them all at 40mm but we can simply scale them to 50mm or 30mm its a simple adjustment for us.  I feel that the bases are also a great output from the printer.

Characters we have printed as small as 30mm but with the material there is a chance of breaking unless the sculpt is designed without a lot of small connection points i.e. wrists but they print very well at 50mm as the smallest and look incredible in my opinion around 100mm  We are thinking that creatures would be appropriate at that scale and could be an intersting offering from us.  Once we have a sculpt complete we can print at any scale size very quickly.  Can I get any feedback on what the largest and smallest size would be in the communities opinion for a creature?  You can use the ones on the kickstarter preview as a reference creature type.

And as was commented on above anything we create that is supposed to be stone, IE pillars, cave type items, buildings is a pure win since its actually stone :)  Like David said we hope to have this live by the end of next week with more content and the feedback from this thread as well included.

Thanks!

Kevin and the Forge Prints Team.

• Like 1

I was one of the 13 (feel like we should get a ring of power or something...) on the last KS, and I was very impressed with Forge Prints from a delivery, communications, and professionalism standpoint. They delivered on time (seriously, how many gaming KS can say that... CMON I'm looking at you *evil eye*) and threw in extra bases and the mushroom. Under promise and over deliver, key to customer satisfaction!

On the other hand, I felt the bases were just too rough for me to use on a mini that I'm going to spend hours painting. They are very "fuzzy" feeling, and the pic of the Crone in the preview really shows the white fuzziness of the prints. If I had an army of mooks that were all quickshades and I wanted more then a black base then I'd totally use these. The other major aspect of the fuzziness, that's been mentioned above in relation to sandstone, is whether or not the object printed naturally would have "texture"... For example, in my opinion, it looked really unnatural on the jungle bases with all the plant leaves being fuzzy instead of what I normally expect of a waxy tropical leaves. Where as the shipdock and rocks didn't bother me as much.

Assuming this goes live I'll likely be in for the pillars, fountain, and maybe some boxes/sacks; depending on pricing of course.

• Like 1

Hi JCG! <waves>

The texture is definitly an aspect of the color 3d printing process.  One interesting thing to note is we went for the matt finish that really does make the sandstone finish very apparent.  We can also finish it in another finishing process that almost gives the piece a slightly wet look.  It intensifies the colors a bit and makes the sandstone finish not as apparent, but We assumed that the matt look was more desirable for the community.  It might be interesting to experiment with both and get some customer feedback?

If you shoot me an email directly if your interested, I can send you a few pieces with this other treatment and I would love the feedback on it.  As I said originally we are sitting on the bleeding edge of this technology and are looking to help bring it to the gaming community with real interaction and advice from the community.  We are I feel in the unique position that we have invested heavily into something on the bleeding edge and can push those boundaries where others may not take the financial gamble we have.  But we feel without risk we can't all create something new and innovative, and would simply follow what has already been done :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Kevin and the Forge Prints Team

• Like 2

I'll shoot you an email. I think jungle would look much better with a "wet" look, imitating what a tropical jungle looks like most of the time. But yeah, I think it would come down to personal preference. Do you have picture of the "wet" look anywhere?

Sizing is tricky and I think it's great you're able to dynamically accommodate both the RPG and the wargaming crowds by simply adjusting the size of the print.

Oh... and I like these columns with the ornate sides you had a pic of in your very first KS. Again the texture looks pretty good on stone, especially weathered/aged stone.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/003/974/717/f8ce0487f6152ee33bf40e8b08ba8a94_original.jpg?v=1434165984&w=680&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=1af06f4e2fa72d3de2e7e02d15da657c

• Like 1

Those will make an apperance from the first one as well!  Still trying to feverishly add the rest of the product to the new effort!  We are also going to go with the al a cart pricing structure we did with foundations 1.  We are going to keep it as aggressive as we can, our goal is to get awareness out there and the product into as many hands as possible for feedback and general awareness.  We will wory about turning any profit later on at retail after we have the formula for the offering truly locked down :)

Using Kickstarter as a way of vetting out the concept and raising general awareness is invaluable to us!

Thanks again,

Kevin and the Forge Prints Team

• Like 1

I was unaware of a different finishing process, but a 'wet' look would definitely be desirable on the river and jungle bases, maybe the arcane bases, and on the vine and/or tentacle objective markers.

(including the Mushroom Clump objective marker that's featured here),

Wait... was the divet in the mushroom suppose to be there?? I thought mine had chipped and I "fixed" it with some green stuff. Yes I was one of the 13 lucky from their 1st KS. I really want to see these guys succeed but  have to agree on the rough look.. other materials would be cool.

AJ

Heh I guess we didn't do as good a job on the partial eaten / rotted mushroom look! Yes was actually 3 bites out of the mushroom one substantial and 2 increasingly smaller ones!!

I'm in the process of printing a few more items and going to apply the wet finish to them. I'll update this thread tomorrow. I also am putting together some photos of the models next to some lizard men army. Please be kind in regards to the minis poor paint jobs they were my first :)

Kevin and the Forge Prints guys and gals!

• Like 1

Heh I guess we didn't do as good a job on the partial eaten / rotted mushroom look! Yes was actually 3 bites out of the mushroom one substantial and 2 increasingly smaller ones!!

I'm in the process of printing a few more items and going to apply the wet finish to them. I'll update this thread tomorrow. I also am putting together some photos of the models next to some lizard men army. Please be kind in regards to the minis poor paint jobs they were my first :)

Kevin and the Forge Prints guys and gals!

I totally got the "half-eaten" vibe from it.