Sign in to follow this  
Chris Palmer

Chris's Frostgrave & Ghost Archipelago Terrain Efforts

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

Thank you for the kind words regarding my work.  I'm so glad it has inspired you.  That jungle background really turned out nifty.   While I don't know if I want to build a purpose-build limited use photo background, that I would need to then store somewhere, I really like the look of the hidden vegitation-covered doorway scene you created and could see that working as a neat standalone tabletop terrain piece, if I could incorporate it into some sort of hill or ridge.  

That would be easy to do.

Assume I would want that, I would cut a little irregular shape out of the board just in front of the door and cut it away to form a slope.

Keep a bit of the jungle a the side and you got a little hill with an obscured door in it.

• Like 2

I recently finished up the Bones 3 Dagon Statue to use with Ghost Archipelago.

Nothing fancy; just a series of drybrushed layers.

Step by step if anyone is interested: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/08/dagon-statue-bones-3-terrain.html

fullsizeoutput_2120.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2122.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 15

28 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

What are you doing for a GA ground cloth?

I have this great cloth I found at Joann's on clearance about 10 or so years ago that is an ugly olive green and tan tie-dye color.  I have used it in the past for my Pirate games, and think it will work well for GA.  You can see it here in this photo.

IMG_4710.JPG

• Like 11

My mom used to collect these old dime-store souvenir figurines of the the classic three wise monkeys from the Japanese fable. (See-No-Evil, Speak-No-Evil, and Hear-No Evil) .  She had them in metal, china, stone, wood; and in every size.  When she passed several years ago, I kept this one carved wood one because in the back of mind I always thought it would make a great primitive statue terrain piece.  Now, recently, with the impending release of the Ghost Archipelago rules; I finally had the impetus to set about making that idea happen.

I'm pleased with how it turned out.  And what's best is that I now have a piece of terrain that will make me think of my mom when ever I use it. ::):

fullsizeoutput_2026.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21a5.jpeg

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

My mom used to collect these old dime-store souvenir figurines of the the classic three wise monkeys from the Japanese fable. (See-No-Evil, Speak-No-Evil, and Hear-No Evil) .  She had them in metal, china, stone, wood; and in every size.  When she passed several years ago, I kept this one carved wood one because in the back of mind I always thought it would make a great primitive statue terrain piece.  Now, recently, with the impending release of the Ghost Archipelago rules; I finally had the impetus to set about making that idea happen.

I'm pleased with how it turned out.  And what's best is that I now have a piece of terrain that will make me think of my mom when ever I use it. ::):

fullsizeoutput_2026.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21a5.jpeg

Awesome piece. And I love the thought behind it. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome piece. And I love the thought behind it. 

Thanks, Glitterwolf! 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 1

Awww, that's the sweetest background story I've ever heard about a terrain piece!  It's painted really well (and so is the mini you posed with it for scale), but the piece being a memorial of your mom just really grabbed my focus.

Excellent work (and I have no doubt mama is proud of your work).

• Like 5

Agreeing with everyone else. Love the reason backstory to your monkeys terrain piece. ^.^

--- edit ---

Backstory was not the right word.

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Pippin said:

Awww, that's the sweetest background story I've ever heard about a terrain piece!  It's painted really well (and so is the mini you posed with it for scale), but the piece being a memorial of your mom just really grabbed my focus.

Excellent work (and I have no doubt mama is proud of your work).

5 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Agreeing with everyone else. Love the reason backstory to your monkeys terrain piece. ^.^

--- edit ---

Backstory was not the right word.

Thanks for the kind kind words regarding this project!   Interestingly, it was my mom who was the one who encouraged me to start into miniatures wargaming back in the '70s.   She  always loved history, and had a background in art, so I think those aspects really appealed to her.    

• Like 5

Love the monkey "statue"! It looks great! I also love that you made a memento out of it that you will enjoy and see often!

• Like 3

On 8/26/2017 at 9:08 AM, Pochi said:

Love the monkey "statue"! It looks great! I also love that you made a memento out of it that you will enjoy and see often!

Thanks, Pingo! Pochi! ::P: (Edited to fix brain fail)

The local Dollar Tree started putting out their Halloween decorations, and I bought one of their large plastic skulls to work on making a "Skull Rock" terrain piece for Ghost Archipelago.  

fullsizeoutput_21c0.jpeg

First I sawed off part of the jaw, so the skull would sit more upright, and not lean backwards.fullsizeoutput_21c2.jpeg

I then hot-glued it to a CD, and also glued a little scrap of pink foam under the overhand at the back of the skull so it didn't look quite so unbalanced.fullsizeoutput_21c3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21c4.jpeg

After that I spray primed it flat black; and when the primer coat was dry, I sprayed it with some stone texture spray paint.

fullsizeoutput_21c5.jpeg

My next step will be to dry brush it and then add some jungle foliage to the base.   I was also thinking about adding a bird nest to one of the eye sockets, but not sure the best way to make one...

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, Pochi said:

I'm Pochi. ::P: That's ok, lol.

Dang! I'm so sorry!  Then let me say, thank you, Pochi, for your kind words regarding my monkey terrain piece.

Sometimes I worry about my brain's word retrieval system.   Another symptom of my advancing years I suspect...:blink:

Note to self: never post late on Sunday night after a very long weekend...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Dang! I'm so sorry!  Then let me say, thank you, Pochi, for your kind words regarding my monkey terrain piece.

Sometimes I worry about my brain's word retrieval system.   Another symptom of my advancing years I suspect...:blink:

Note to self: never post late on Sunday night after a very long weekend...

Haha! No worries. They both start with a P and have 5 letters. ::D:

Love watching your projects!

• Like 2