Sign in to follow this  
dunker79

14005: Lord Ironraven, Crusaders Captain

Well ehhh, I can't find anything wrong with that!

Looks awesome..

*** Stares at brushes, contemplating playing Mikado with them instead of painting****

• Like 4

I think my brushes must be broken because they don't seem to paint like this. Could be user error. NAH!

He is awesome. I especially like the shading/blending/highlighting on the fabrics. Beautiful!

• Like 5

Hurt YOUR feelings?  Makes me want to stick to true metallics....  I think you got the technique right on there--I even like the horizon line on the pauldrons, as if his armor is smokey chrome (trademarking that paint name!).  And all your levels of highlighting balance well.  Well done all over!

• Like 3

Since you have reached a higher level with your non metallic work than moi, no critique is forthcoming or possible for that matter. The Good Captain is a FANTASTIC creation; BEAUTIFULLY painted & based. RIGHTEOUSLY WELL DONE!

• Like 4

Overall, I agree that this looks excellent.

I would look at the pauldrons/shoulder plates on the armor, with an eye toward whether they agree with the rest of the metal.

Although the metal is all rather dark as a whole (which is fine), the shoulders look like you're trying Sky-Earth NMM, which is unusual in a darker (i.e., less reflective) metal. Most of the rest of the armor has very diffuse delineation on the bright highlights vs deep shadows...they're there everywhere, but very apparent on the shoulders. Although you used the same colors, the shoulders look more polished than the rest.

The spearhead also has a different reflective appearance, but I buy it because the spear is presumably a different metal than the armor. I'd expect all the armor to be the same material, so the shoulders look off to me.

I absolutely love the blue banner, and you've done some excellent work on his face.

• Like 6

Echoing what Sanael said. You've got the basics of it, just focus on how the light falls on the metals and try to keep it cohesive. That's the toughest part of nmm, in my opinion. People get so focused on the blending and recipes, but it's the placement of light and shadow that makes it work.

Still, that's a solid paint job! Nice work.

• Like 3

I really like your style and I'm very inspired by what you've done with this model. I plan on taking much from it and adapting it to my own style of painting. Very impressive work.

• Like 2

Wow! Now, THIS is how NMM is ought to be done! Very well done!

Thanks! I tried my best. i am sure there are major issues, just that my eyeballs no longer register anymore.

Well ehhh, I can't find anything wrong with that!

Looks awesome..

*** Stares at brushes, contemplating playing Mikado with them instead of painting****

Awwwwww....thanks forthe kind words :blush:

I think my brushes must be broken because they don't seem to paint like this. Could be user error. NAH!

He is awesome. I especially like the shading/blending/highlighting on the fabrics. Beautiful!

Thankyou !! It was alot of trial and error.

Excellent work all in all!

Thanks!!

Since you have reached a higher level with your non metallic work than moi, no critique is forthcoming or possible for that matter. The Good Captain is a FANTASTIC creation; BEAUTIFULLY painted & based. RIGHTEOUSLY WELL DONE!

Haha, base was from Scibor. Don't possess the skills to make bases like those.

Hurt YOUR feelings?  Makes me want to stick to true metallics....  I think you got the technique right on there--I even like the horizon line on the pauldrons, as if his armor is smokey chrome (trademarking that paint name!).  And all your levels of highlighting balance well.  Well done all over!

Thank you all so much for the kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it. ^_^

Edited by dunker79
  • Like 2

Overall, I agree that this looks excellent.

I would look at the pauldrons/shoulder plates on the armor, with an eye toward whether they agree with the rest of the metal.

Although the metal is all rather dark as a whole (which is fine), the shoulders look like you're trying Sky-Earth NMM, which is unusual in a darker (i.e., less reflective) metal. Most of the rest of the armor has very diffuse delineation on the bright highlights vs deep shadows...they're there everywhere, but very apparent on the shoulders. Although you used the same colors, the shoulders look more polished than the rest.

The spearhead also has a different reflective appearance, but I buy it because the spear is presumably a different metal than the armor. I'd expect all the armor to be the same material, so the shoulders look off to me.

I absolutely love the blue banner, and you've done some excellent work on his face.

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback and kind words! The pauldrons did give me huge amount of problems.  even a week after I officially finished the mini I was still repainting the shoulder plates.  What you see now is the forth version of the paint job!  I truly appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed critique my work.  While I did try my very best on this project, truth is after staring at this mini for over 40 hours over three weeks, it was getting rather hard to pick out and correct all those problems that you mentioned.  

Echoing what Sanael said. You've got the basics of it, just focus on how the light falls on the metals and try to keep it cohesive. That's the toughest part of nmm, in my opinion. People get so focused on the blending and recipes, but it's the placement of light and shadow that makes it work.

Still, that's a solid paint job! Nice work.

Thank you! could not agree more with you. It is how light falls that is giving me the most problems.  its gonna take a while while i try to figure this conundrum out.  Thank you for your feedback. I highly value it. 

• Like 1

I really like your style and I'm very inspired by what you've done with this model. I plan on taking much from it and adapting it to my own style of painting. Very impressive work.

Dude, 4 years into painting and i am still figuring out what my style really is. I am still learning and experimenting as i go along on this journey.  Thanks for such kind words.  I am proud to get such flattery form an artist of your caliber.

Edited by dunker79
  • Like 2

That piece is exquisite, one of the best NMM EXAMPLES I HAVE SEEN, awesome ;)

• Like 1