Palladium Robotech RPG Tactics Zentraedi Regult Battlepods

Jasper_the_2nd

Well, odds are you either watch/watched Robotech, or the title of this post made no sense.... ::):

I've been purchasing Big Stompy Robots for a little while now and finally got a chance to start painting some.  (Ongoing Big Stompy Robot WIP is over here )

Decided to start with some Robotech figs from Palladium's never-ending kickstarter (Original delivery esitmate: dec 2013, latest wave 2 delivery guestimate: 2nd quarter of 2016....).

I've started with the Zentraedi (the invading aliens) as my friend wanted to do the UEDF (United Earth Defense Forces).

The bulk of the Zentraedi forces are Regult Battlepods, so I've got 24 of these guys to build and paint (plus 12 artillery pods, and 2 scout pods....).

So far, two done.

post-8239-0-02907800-1446329179.jpg post-8239-0-48100000-1446329183.jpg post-8239-0-88959700-1446329188.jpg

Now obviously these guys are tabletop.  See, they look much better from a distance:

post-8239-0-24643400-1446329173_thumb.jpg

There,now it's much harder to see that I can't make a straight line!  ::D:

Now if you've seen the cartoons, this is pretty much what the battlepods look like.  4 colours, dark lines.

Regult.jpg

Like that.

I watched a couple of videos on how people were painting these up.  Apparently all these folks have way steadier hands than I do....

Process is simple, prime in white, base coat, seal with gloss, use some sort of marker (I used a Micron 005) to mark in a bunch of lines, gloss coat again, and dull coat.

For now I'm not putting any transfers on them.  That may change later, once I get them all painted.

And I've just painted the bases black for now.  With the scale of them I'm not sure exactly what I'd put on the bases. These are 1:285 (aka 6mm). So even though they are quite big figs:

post-8239-0-64861500-1446329169.jpg

a human wouldn't be as tall as the side bits of his foot.  In full scale a Regult is listed as around 60 feet tall, so I'm not sure how my normal basing stuff would look.

Plus some battles can take place in space....so I'm just leaving them black for now.

• Like 21

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pod looks nice and cartoony. Have you considered drawing road markings on the ground? Just to give it a little something.

Yeah, I've seen them done that way (although they printed out roads and glued them on the bases).  Looked pretty good.  

I'm just not sure what I want, so they'll stay black for now I guess.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      Being the timid fellow that I am, I wanted to be fairly sure that I had a chance of finishing a Minivember challenge before I announced it publicly. 

I enter miniatures into my painting log when the final basing and varnish coat are complete, and the “whatever” is ready for play.  I’ve recently resolved to relax and not worry too much about where the Muse(s) lead, as long as I’m getting something done.  So all plans are subject to change.  That said, I’ve had two things on my mind recently.  

The first is that I was in a Rangers of Shadowdeep game at Barrage, our local miniatures gaming convention, back in September, and decided that it was time to try to get it on the table.  For fun, I decided that I would fill out my small (1/72) plastic fantasy collection for this.  I looked over the book, and found this was what was called for:

I got a good start on this on a business trip last month.  I am also working toward “finishing” the army lists I’ve drawn up for my Portable Fantasy campaign:

But exactly what I’m going to end up painting is a bit unpredictable.

As posted in the November Speed/Army/Tabletop  goals thread, I’ve also got some vintage Broadsword Miniatures Rangers to round out a unit, and the much-deferred Goblin Carolers for my Winterfeast village.  There are also orcs for the campaign mass battle, some human cavalry, some historical Bronze Age Nubians and some additional giant war trolls.

I’ve already finished a couple of medieval(oid) human horse archers. (English and other mounted bowmen did not generally shoot from horseback, so these guys, Strelets plastics I’ve had sitting around since 2005 or so, are probably more at home in a fantasy setting anyway.)

I also finished the zombies (plus a couple of smaller Reraper Bones 5 monsters):

These were knocked out pretty rapidly with washes and drybrushing, with a deliberate choice to keep them subdued and semi-monochromatic.  I doubt zombies spend much time on hygiene…

For the trolls needed for Rangers, I had planned to use the Bones 1 (SKU 77159) Ghast.  As a 1/72 scale figure, they end up being 8 or so feet tall, so look more to me like something a human might stand a chance of fighting than something like a Dark Alliance 12 foot tall War Troll.  But, yesterday was apparently Trollfest, and I finished up the three troll/ghasts, a Dark Alliance War troll, and a Caesar Miniatures “something” from their currently-out-of-production “Adventurers” set.  They are shown here with a Strelets medieval city militiaman from last month, for scale:

That’s 18 figures down, so at least 12 to go.  I’m on vacation with no particular plans this week, and I’m also off the week of Thanksgiving, so that should be achievable.

• By maphatter
      The latest MODULAR DIGITAL BATTLEMAP expansion seeks to take the Meanderverse back in time and underwater to the glory days of this technological legend some say was a paradise - others a ferocious war machine. Dock at the Port, stroll through the Atlantean Water Gardens and explore the alien wonder of this mystical city on dry land - and then again after a cataclysm sinks it beneath the waves. Preview the campaign HERE. Launches July 21st on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-5-rpg-modular-digital-battlemaps-atlantis

• By WhiteWulfe
      Finished my first mini this year, and oddly enough it was a speedpaint, taking just over an hour...

On the flipside, some of those colours work together really, REALLY well, like Sunrise Orange and Heart Throb Paint.

• By Auberon
      This year's Christmas present to myself was a Sonic Mini 4k printer.  I've done a few runs now and promised a pic of a painted mini at some point.  Gardain here was a bit of a failure as it turns out there were a few problems with the pre-supports.  Still, he's 99% ok which means he's good enough to use as an example, but also that I don't care enough to paint to a high standard.

So with that in mind, he was painted with a thin layer of primer through the airbrush, a slightly thinned basecoat, and then a few washes.  I.e. the point is to show off how much detail the printer can do, how visible the layer lines are, etc, not how well I can (or can't) paint. He is a 32mm scale dwarf, which means he is a little taller than a Reaper dwarf, but not quite as tall as a Reaper human.

The very bottom of this gauntlet pancaked, but you can only really see it if he is upside down.

Yup, that's a hair support.  The presupport was at too low of an angle so it bonded to the figure.

Btw, those eyes are tiny. His right eye is really bad because the arm blocks coming in from below, the sculpted bushy eyebrow makes any high angle impossible, and he has a big nose.  Jab straight in and hit where you aim!  In fact, they are so small that I can't even tell I painted them at arm's length.  If you skipped them to get him on the table no one would notice.

And there you have it, my first [painted] 3D print.
    • By odinsgrandson
      These old Battletech miniatures were painted using some fairly recent techniques I’ve generally seen referred to as “Comic Book Style Painting.”
      In addition to normal dark lining, I added dark edging to areas that would normally be the highest highlights on the minis. This creates an interesting cell shaded effect.
      These particular minis were painted to match the old (and adequagely cheesy) Battletech Cartoons. Sometimes, they would forgo normal animation to employ then-state-of-the-art computer generated animation with everything outlined in green. This is why these minis are all in a transition state between the two styles.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 1 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)