Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Unacceptable Halloween Treats

As a self righteous adolescent, I found Chick tracts to be disgusting.  As a self righteous adult, I find them to be *hilarious*.  I was surprised to find out the guy's still alive - unjustified smugness must have health benefits.

On the special place in hell for candy-swiping parents - dunno about the afterlife, but it doesn't sound like a particularly solid plan to avoid the cut-rate warehouse for the dying masquerading as a nursing home.

• Like 6

Heh... I'm sure if the child-kidnapping black van had ever come around my neighborhood when we were kids and grabbed any of us, it probably would have been found the next morning either completely whole in the school principal's living room or up on blocks in some parking lot, burned out and spray-painted, lol... For a bunch of middle-class semi-rural kids, we were pretty wild - I once went cow-tipping and broke into a parking meter on the same day.

• Like 3

To this day,  still wonder if candied apples are a trick or a treat.

Trick. Especially after the caramel gets everywhere. :wacko:

After decorating my garden and buying in buckets of sweets, I got a grand total of no ToTers this year.  :down:

At least you have plenty of candy for yourself ^_^

• Like 5

I looked into it and apparently there is an explanation for the Chick Tracts thing.

Mr Chick says Halloween is the devil's holiday and encourages Christians to pass out his tracts instead of candy. There is apparently a tract specifically about this in which a seriously sick child gets a chick tract on halloween and is saved by it, just before dying that same night.

I will refrain from sharing my views on people who push their faith on other peoples' children like this.

• Like 6

While as a gamer I find the Chick tracts hillarious, as a Christian I just wish they'd go away.

We've done The Candy Fairy the last few years - W gets to keep out twenty pieces of candy, then he puts the rest back in the bag and leaves it hanging on the back porch.  The Candy Fairy comes overnight and exchanges the candy for a book or a toy or a puzzle or something.  It makes his day, morning of November 1.

Then the candy fairy goes into diabetic shock and Jess and I gain a couple pounds.

It may have backfired this year, because he immediately ran off to his neighbor friend/classmate to see what the Candy Fairy brought his friend.

• Like 15

Some of the discussions in this thread are dangerously close to beekeeper's level of political discussion.

please let's keep it light and try to have fun, even with as serious a topic as Halloween and tradition and fatal allergies, lest the thread be removed and sent to our re-education center for recalcitrant threads.

Kind of love Chick tracts, honestly. Always enjoy reading them.

not me, I find they make me very very sad

While as a gamer I find the Chick tracts hillarious, as a Christian I just wish they'd go away.

Likewise

• Like 3

After decorating my garden and buying in buckets of sweets, I got a grand total of no ToTers this year.  :down:

That is what happened in my neck of the woods, ..except for the decorating, ..and the buying of candy.

• Like 2

What People Handing Out Free Stuff Owe You.

...bears repeating, I think.

Some house hands out pennies? free figure bases! woot!!  :bday:

Chick comics? Awesome! Now you have something to give the next batch of Jehovah's Witnesses that ring your door...

• Like 4

Sympathy Like there Beagle. Only seven ToTers showed up here.

I remember when there'd be over a hundred.

• Like 2

For the first time in years, they cleaned us out. Had to shut down before eight.

Didn't need those Reeses, anyway.

• Like 9

For the first time in years, they cleaned us out. Had to shut down before eight.

Didn't need those Reeses, anyway.

Likewise at our place. We even sent some of our party guests to go get more candy!

We ran out when we hit over 250. Should have bought more candy. It was close to 8:00 by then, though, so...

• Like 3