Sign in to follow this  
aku-chan

A Nightmare in Feathers:- Kingdom Death Phoenix

Don't have the greatest track record in finishing large minis, but lets give it a try:-

0Xh35IX.jpg

He's only partially assembled at this stage, letting the glue dry overnight before trying to attach his feet.

I also have 20+ tiny hands to glue to his wings, but that's a job for when I'm fully awake!

• Like 18

I'd join you, but I fear for my sanity since I've never painted a large mini and I'd end up wanting to detail everything out...good luck!

• Like 3

I'd join you, but I fear for my sanity since I've never painted a large mini and I'd end up wanting to detail everything out...good luck!

Yeah, this is going to take a lot of time and effort to get it painted up to my level let alone yours.

And just think, the larger/harder to paint monsters are still to come!

Finished assembly. Had to cheat with the hands and look up an unofficial assembly guide (got them about half done, then they all started looking identical), also managed to lose one, but filled the space with another hand that had a very small connection point that will be easier to hide.

Letting the glue dry overnight again, then time for some gap filling (most of it is fairly minor, but there are some fairly big gaps on the ankles, the feet didn't attach very well).

• Like 2

What kind of glue are you using? I recommend Testors liquid cement for plastics. Actually welds the plastic together, fantastic stuff.

• Like 2

What kind of glue are you using? I recommend Testors liquid cement for plastics. Actually welds the plastic together, fantastic stuff.

I'm using Revells Contacta, which is a similar sort of melty plastic glue, but I think I'm too conservative with the amount I use so I still get the odd gap here and there.

Progress:-

J4j6fDn.jpgSO8W4Wq.jpg5JzX418.jpghFyPUlg.jpg

Construction and priming complete!

Now I'm slowly basecoating the feathered areas:-

cnIAWwx.jpg

With Vallejo Emerald.

• Like 17

Ye gods, that thing is terrifying!

Awesome!  ::D:

Ye gods, that thing is terrifying!

Awesome!  ::D:

Yeah, that was my thoughts as well.

That was my first thought as well, more I think about the painting challenge that the critters stats though....

George

ps- In my experience, if the glue is holding, better to little than to much. To much glue in the wrong spot can really ruin that type of plastic. A little green stuff in the gaps will help keep the pieces in place as well....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 1

Just to prove I'm still working on this:-

uHkTnpj.jpg

All the feathered areas have had a coat of Emerald now, though most of it still needs a second, after that comes the fun of detailing!

Been assembling stuff when I'm sick of painting green (you can see a Kingsman in the background above) including a pair of Phoenix armour-wearing Survivors:-

KCQkXdz.jpg

They ended up looking pretty cool, though I'm beginning think I would have preferred a pair of mono-posed minis to represent the armour sets rather than these kits (I'm just not very good at posing stuff). It's going to be fun applying my Phoenix colour scheme to them, but that's for another WIP thread.

• Like 15

Awesome project.

I am anxious to see what you will come up with.

Basecoating in emerald, so tropical bird scheme?

**** Rips open a bag of crisps, oh yeah, show time***

• Like 1

Awesome project.

I am anxious to see what you will come up with.

Basecoating in emerald, so tropical bird scheme?

**** Rips open a bag of crisps, oh yeah, show time***

Thanks!

I'm not really aiming for a tropical scheme, just wanted something different from the usual red (as Kingdom Death Phoenixes have nothing to do with fire).

• Like 2

Why must you and the others taunt me with these awesome looking figures and paint jobs!  I have almost enough figure line's I've invested in that I'll someday get around to.  (Almost meaning only 20 more figures till I have enough.)  Sigh, wonders over to KOD website to window shop.

• Like 1

Aku inspires me constantly to paint my better minis, especially KD.

Though window shopping KD isn't really a thing. They tend to sell out of their releases in hours.

Actually now that I'm in a KD facebook group, the people who buy the max 3 of each mini make me nuts, because I see a lot of really great painters who miss the sales because some scalper stocks up on the max (and there didn't even used to be a cap of 3 per order!).

• Like 2