A Nightmare in Feathers:- Kingdom Death Phoenix

aku-chan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gods, you're making me regret getting one!  Yours is really looking great so far. 

Is it too weird? Or is it the incredibly long time it's taking me to paint it?

Progress:-

K0cjg3U.jpgZwlpqE4.jpg1Dn4717.jpg

The skin is finished! Woohoo!

Gave it highlights of Pure Elf Fleshtone and 1:1 Elf Fleshtone / Off-white. The second highlight looked a little chalky (espically on the top of the beak and head), so I thinned down my Fleshshade Wash and had a good glaze, worked a treat.

I wanted those barnacle things to stand out a bit more, so I thinned down my Purpleshade Wash and glazed them too.

Still need to do the eyes, but I'll leave them until I paint his inner face.

• Like 12

Woohoo! It's finished!

l1GiE9D.jpgw8XezTi.jpg

Well mostly.

I painted the inner face and the eyes (they're hard to photograph), the beard and moustache (in the same colours as the fur), the remaining fingernails and any mistakes I could find.

I want to have a second look for any bits that need correcting, then I still need to paint the log its standing on and do the base, but the bird itself is finished!

• Like 7

Gods, you're making me regret getting one!  Yours is really looking great so far. 

Neither, I'm going to be trying to live up to how great yours is.  I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but the contrast of the colors is really amazing.  Are you going to do anything extra on the basing?

• Like 1

Neither, I'm going to be trying to live up to how great yours is.  I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but the contrast of the colors is really amazing.  Are you going to do anything extra on the basing?

Thanks! :blush:

But if you think mine is good, you should see some of the others out there.

If I can get my bottle of Vallejo Still Water to cooperate, the Phoenix is going to be sitting in a shallow pond with rubble and stone faces in it.

• Like 2

After a brief hiatus (I've been building little plastic men), progress:-

BEUMvap.jpg

I painted up the bit of wood (drybrushing various browns and Brown and Green Washes), doesn't look great (wood is something else I need to practice) but hopefully no one will look at it.

Started building up the puddle base, glued in a couple stone faces and some cork and made a putty ring to hold in the water (my Milliput had gone all crumbly, so I had to use precious green stuff).

Once it's set I'll add sand.

• Like 6

More progress:-

6niUe1T.jpgGV90Nnp.jpg

Took longer than planned (needed several dunks in my tub of sand in the end), and then I wanted to wait for my bag of skulls to arrive (they're a little out of scale with the Kingdom Death stuff, but as long as I don't use them on the bases of any human minis it shouldn't be noticeable).

All that's left now is to slowly pour in the Still Water stuff every day until it reaches the right level.

And with the era of the Phoenix nearing its end, a Dragon King rises...

• Like 13

Your pictures here are better, even if the background isn't as picture friendly as the one in your showoff thread.  I love your basing, it turned out wonderful!  Where did you get your skulls from?

Thanks! I seem to be able to take decent close-up shots of it, it's when I try to get the whole thing in one picture that the colours go wrong.

The skulls come from a little UK company called Toad King Castings.

Your pictures here are better, even if the background isn't as picture friendly as the one in your showoff thread.  I love your basing, it turned out wonderful!  Where did you get your skulls from?

Thanks! I seem to be able to take decent close-up shots of it, it's when I try to get the whole thing in one picture that the colours go wrong.

The skulls come from a little UK company called Toad King Castings.

FYI Toad King Castings is doing a kickstarter right now where you can get a whole bunch of those skulls for a pretty great price. 3 days left to go. http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/67437-28mm-skulls-and-bones-for-basing-and-terrain/page-1

• Like 3