Apoxie-Sculpt Question

knarthex

So I just used some Apoxie Sculpt for the first time to fill in the base around the 'broccoli' of a a mini. Treated it as if it was Green Stuff, in that I wet my tool with water to smooth it out between the lip of the base and the figure's base.

From the way the stuff acted, it was almost like you could use water to really soften this to make a 'slurry' that you could pour!

The stuff smoothed right up, colored the water like it was paint, stained my fingers a little...

Is there something wrong with the batch I got, or is this normal?

Can you really dilute the stuff with water?

I am sure it would take longer to dry, but it might be useful in some situations...Almost like a 'Real"liquid Greenstuff!

Thanks for any input!

George

• Like 2

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is partially water soluble. I know you can use it, let it start to set and then use a bit of water to make it very smooth.  I do not normally have a issue with it getting messy, as I mix it 1;1 with GS and use Vaseline for tool lube.  I can't stand using Apoxie straight, too messy.

• Like 3

Yep, and it's a property that's useful half the time and an annoyance the other half.

You can mix it into one of the hydrophobic putties (GS, Procreate) in order to get a water-smoothable surface. It doesn't take much.

It fills cracks and such much better than the hydrophobic putties... not surprising given it's similarity to spackle / drywall patch.

Not quite.

Apoxie + GS hardens into a hard, glossy, almost ceramic substance.

Apoxie + Procreate hardens into something slightly flexible, but still carvable and sandable, almost like vulcanized rubber.

Handling of both while uncured is pretty similar though. A little bit of dampness smooths them out, a lot causes the hydrophobic GS / Procreate to peel away instead. It greatly reduces the tendency for the putty to form microfolds while smoothing, and softens it so it's much better for gap- and crack-filling.

• Like 3