TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other--Year 2 Kick-off (Nov)

It has been a whole year since I started the first GTKEO thread.  TGP asked me if I'd like to take it back for November (and maybe beyond, we'll see), so here we are.  Thinking back to the original thread, I'd never really thought that it would catch on the way it has.  I originally just wanted to get to know you all a little more, add some details so that when I met you at ReaperCon (etc.) we'd have a basis for conversation.  I think it is really fun and exciting that these threads have become something that has helped to build community here.  So lets keep going into year 2.

Here are the links to all of the previous threads:

Rules:

1. Each day (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question (Large and Bold), except weekends during which I will try to have a single question for the whole weekend.

2. You each have one day to answer that question before I post the next.

3. After I post the next question, you may no longer answer a previous question.

4. Only I may post questions, but you may submit questions to be posted by me via PM or to talespinnerminis@yahoo.com

5. You do not have to answer a question, obviously, even if you are playing the game.  Either simply wait a day without posting or post that you decline to answer (why would be nice).

• Like 10

For the first question, I'm going to go away from TGP's list for a day (sorry TGP) and go back to the beginning:

Nov 2: A. What is your name?

If you answered this in the first iteration of the game (see the first thread), then the following question is for you (people answering the first question should feel free to answer the second as well):

Nov 2: B. Do you or have you ever had a nickname, and what is it?

• Like 7

A:  Andrew Pieper

B:  Peeps for much of my life.  TaleSpinner and TS since 1999, first on the internet on forums and now else where, even in RL.

• Like 9

1.1 my user name is actually my real name.

1.2 For a while in high school I was "Crispy" being as my name and first initial were "Chris P." More recently I'm called "MacGyver" around the wargame club because of my tendency to make terrain and stuff out of assorted found objects (food containers, toy parts, etc.)

• Like 10

For the first question, I'm going to go away from TGP's list for a day (sorry TGP) and go back to the beginning:

A: Colin Thomas

B: never really had a nickname

• Like 6

If you answered this in the first iteration of the game (see the first thread), then the following question is for you (people answering the first question should feel free to answer the second as well):

My name is Greg Pettigrew. The only nickname I've ever had is my official WPI Men's Glee Club Nickname, which came with a certificate, which is Dil. My handle is etherial. My nom du guerre in the SCA is Andreiko Eferiev.

• Like 6

A: Chris Salter

B: I started going by "otter" in a lot of places back around '96, but no-one really calls me that off the Internet. There are a lot of people named "Chris" so I fairly often get "Salter" just so we can differentiate.

• Like 6

NQ2A: Joshua Edwards

NQ2B: my preferred nickname is 'Josh', frankly, if you call me 'Joshua', I'll think you're selling something.  Lord Josh was my nickname in High School, and well, it appeals to my ego, to the point that I've got it as my username on most of the social media.

• Like 6

A: Liberty! 

B: I preferred just Liberty for the longest time and I hated all nicknames, especially the, "ahhh I'm so funny and unique, I'm going to call you Freedom." But it was strangely okay when one day some weird boy called me "Libby." I ended up marrying him too, that was fun. ::P: After a while, I just never really noticed when people called me Libby - I was used to it! My mom called me "Liebe" when I was a little girl.

When I talk to friends or guild members, my name is usually shortened to Mori.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 12

A: Jon Holmberg 

B: Terminally Caucasian ?  never really had a nickname that stuck. Dad maybe, that one seems to be working out. 

• Like 9

A. Jenn Bland. I hate my last name - it was always teachers who made fun of it. "Oh your family must be very dull" and the like. Yeah, thanks.

B. Well Jenn is obviously short for Jennifer, but no one calls me Jennifer, not even my parents, so I don't actually consider it to be a nickname. Guin (not Gwen; Guin rhymes with win) is what I've gone by online forever and it's actually what my two best friends call me IRL. That developed from the fact that Guinevere is what my mother wanted to name me, but my father vetoed the name and so I wound up with the most common name in my generation. I do not answer to Jenny unless you are a relative that has known me for my entire life (and even then I really despise it.) And making Forrest Gump jokes at me will immediately put you on my elf list.

Guindyloo was a joke that developed from The Grinch - Guindyloo-hoo and all that. Which was a joke based on the nickname Guindemort, who is far more evil than Voldemort.

Jimmy was a longstanding nickname due to a shirt that I got at a thriftstore when I was a teenager. On the front it said "I'm Jimmy" and on the back it said "Teddy is my cousin" It was just a quirky thing in my group of friends at the time - everyone called me Jimmy and I called everyone else Teddy.

Gin was what people called me at bars because in a crowded noisy bar, saying my name was Jenn resulted in a lot of "What?!?" so my friend started introducing me as "Gin, like the drink." No one's called me that in a very long time though.

• Like 12

A. Devin B.

B. Dev the Red, Devinator, Devination, and others of the sort... LOL.

• Like 6