Language Software and Websites

Talae

100 days.  It's been interesting.  I do consciously notice that I've learned a bit but at the same time don't feel like I'm that far along.  Granted I'm basically doing this in my spare time for recreation rather than as a study that I expect to use anytime soon so there hasn't been much pressure to speed it up.  I need to start reading some more news but it annoys me to not know how to pronounce something even if I can figure out the meaning from context.  Anyway, still enjoying it so will continue to muddle along.

• Like 1

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100 days.  It's been interesting.  I do consciously notice that I've learned a bit but at the same time don't feel like I'm that far along.  Granted I'm basically doing this in my spare time for recreation rather than as a study that I expect to use anytime soon so there hasn't been much pressure to speed it up.  I need to start reading some more news but it annoys me to not know how to pronounce something even if I can figure out the meaning from context.  Anyway, still enjoying it so will continue to muddle along.

If I could recommend that you go to Se og Hor and listen to them speaking, that might help.

Also if you go to "Kongehuset.se you can listen to the broadcast of news events from there.

Should give you some pronunciation help.

Do a search for native swedish broadcasts, and see what turns up.

I loved that I could watch "Dinner for One" with Norwegian subtitles on youtube. 

If you try to make it relevant it does get easier.

Keep slugging along gang !

• Like 1

If you have a Netflix sub and want to hear Norwegian in a casual context, you might try Lilyhammer, which is a mix of English and subtitled Norwegian. (You can also listen to Dicte for Danish or Mankell's Wallander for Swedish.)

Realize that you're likely to be listening to a regional accent in at least some of those cases, though. Still, absorbing the rhythms of conversational speech is useful for learning a language (and very different from listening to a news reader.)

• Like 3

Thanks Doug;

(and glad to see you back).

Since I don't own a TV, netfllix is not in my future.

The Duolingo courses usually select the dominant (Most used accent) to teach the spoken portion of the course.

In my case they are using the "East Oslo Accent" which of course is over 1/3 of the countries population.

Bergen's accent is "shudder" for me.  I find that I can comprehend the announcer's "non-accented" Norwegian

better than most speakers, since they enunciate the words clearly.

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

I have FOUR (4) THREE (3) lessons left before I complete the Norwegian tree.

I may do them all tomorrow (I just did three this morning and one more in the afternoon).

A bit too tired now to do the last ones.

I had a laugh though.  After ALL THESE MONTHS Today they gave me a sentence I can really use.

Jeg hater nettroll.

I hate internet trolls !!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL...laughed my butt off when I translated it...

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

Pardon me for being obnoxious.  Nine minutes ago I finished the Duolingo Norwegian Tree.

I'm shocked.; but the certificate is attained.

NÃ¥ er jeg ferdig med norske treet. 

(Now I am finished with the Norwegian Tree) !

If I can complete it, you folks can do it also.

Two of my cousins just started on their tree's also.

One in Russian, other in Spanish !

• Like 2

Congratulations, Jason!

I thought I'd mention that largely as a result of your inspiration, I've been touching up my German on Duolingo. Today I'm trying to figure out how to keep my streak alive while dealing with laryngitis.  :blink:

So far so good, though I must say that some of the choices they made in the first lessons are pretty odd.

For example, they haven't mentioned the second person formal as yet (I'm at level 4). If you were going to skip one, it should be the second person informal (du/ihr), as being too formal can seem a bit odd, but being too informal comes across as nekulturny.

Also, they teach "you're welcome" as "gern geschehen", which seems to be technically correct. But in 5½ years of living in Germany and more years studying the language in college, I never -- not once -- heard that phrase used. The response to "Danke" is "Bitte" or possibly "kein Problem". This might be dialectal, of course, since I didn't live in the north, but I'd have expected to hear it at least occasionally.

Still, I'm glad I started back in, and the price is definitely right.

Thanks for the encouragement.

• Like 2

Thanks Doug !

Thanks Talae!

Doug just stepped right into a conversation I was having with my two brothers.

They both speak German.  One learned it on Duolingo, the other learned it

while stationed at Rheine-Mein Air Base.  He was dating a local girl.

They CAN understand each other, but the Duolingo bro gets very frustrated since

the OTHER one uses "slang".. and the One that uses slang calls the other one...

SO FORMAL and Academic..LOL.

Most Interesting ! 

Glad that you are refreshing the German though !  It is really good to be multi-lingual.

Not only brain wise, but you are also multi-sourced for your views, and information !

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

Congrats Jason!  I'm just moving along at my slow pace of mostly 1 new lesson (sometimes 2 If its only 2 left) a day.  With review.

I have recently begun looking at discussion section as well.  It is informative as to why certain phrase are said certain ways as opposed to others.

I am very sorry that I did NOT discover the discussion section earlier!  It would have solved a lot of my frustration.

Since I was in a Beta there wasn't that much being put in there until near the end for me.  I learned a lot when

I started looking at it for resolution to some of my questions.  Some great stuff is put in there !

Thanks Silvervane, and by the way.  I slowed down to one lesson a day when I had a lot of stuff that I was handling

with Neighbors husband dying.  "Just do one thing to make tomorrow better" is my motto.  365 steps forward is bringing your goal

that much more closer.  I am looking forward to seeing everyone achieve their goal, I know you can do it !

My children have requested I do an Auto-Biography (Even I am afraid of doing one of those);

If I start it will take at least a year or more.  Keep up the great work, I'll be checking back to see your progress !

Jay

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1