Language Software and Websites

Talae

I recently started playing with DuoLingo (Spanish and French); I really like it but need to dedicate more time to it.

For those looking for a way to interact with native speakers, I recommend the Android app HelloTalk. It's a language exchange app where you find native speakers who teach you, and whom you teach your native language. Features include translations and sentence correction, multimedia interaction (photo, voice, video). It is free to use, though there are limitations for non-premium members (the only one I recall off hand is limited translations). Multiple languages can be exchanged, but there is a fee for each additional language.

For those learning Japanese, I highly recommend JA Sensei; again free app with premium unlocks . I've been using it off and on for a year or two, and like it's setup.

Have fun learning!

-Dave

JAPANESE !!!!

There were quite a few folks that were interested in learning Japanese a while back.  Hopefully they will take advantage of your information above.

I just went through my Norwegian lessons, and I have 48 sections that need to be conquered until I get my Golden Owl back.  With the beautiful weather, and mini's being worked on, I suspect it will take me ninety (90) more days complete the course again.  I just found out that there is a Norwegian waitress at a restaurant near bye.  I am going to drop in during NON rush hour and see if I can Chat :)  I don't mind being a crazy old man if it helps me pronounce some of these tongue twisters !  :)

Hope everyone is swinging through the trees.

Jay

• Like 2

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been bouncing around some beginner Swedish channels on YouTube and I must say it gives me a lot more confidence that I'm actually making progress.  I'm following along very well, albeit on fairly slow and basic stuff.  I am happy to say that the torture of working out the Duolingo pronunciation seems to actually have paid off pretty well.  Going to subscribe to several of these channels as a supplemental learning tool. 

• Like 1

I've been bouncing around some beginner Swedish channels on YouTube and I must say it gives me a lot more confidence that I'm actually making progress.  I'm following along very well, albeit on fairly slow and basic stuff.  I am happy to say that the torture of working out the Duolingo pronunciation seems to actually have paid off pretty well.  Going to subscribe to several of these channels as a supplemental learning tool. 

You might also take a look at the "Swedish News web"...

They broadcast the Swedish news in Swedish every day.  It can be quite entertaining.

Though, they uhh... (step over our line of sensitivity) at times.

I laugh when I read one of their articles, or look at one of their programs.

"Adam and Eve" comes to mind.. there isn't a fig leaf in sight !

as well as Se og Hor magazine.

Keep on learning.. Jay

• Like 1

You might also take a look at the "Swedish News web"...

They broadcast the Swedish news in Swedish every day.  It can be quite entertaining.

Though, they uhh... (step over our line of sensitivity) at times.

I laugh when I read one of their articles, or look at one of their programs.

"Adam and Eve" comes to mind.. there isn't a fig leaf in sight !

as well as Se og Hor magazine.

Keep on learning.. Jay

I'll work up to that but for the most part they blaze along too fast for me at this point.

• Like 1

@Erifnogard

"I'll work up to that but for the most part they blaze along too fast for me at this point..."

..... You don't have to understand it, just hear it.

I've discovered that hearing the language is most important.

You may not understand it (YET); but with exposure you do comprehend it.

I've been discovering that as I go up the Norwegian tree for the second time.

The audio part is much more rampant, and at first I didn't understand it, but now I translate it into english,

then back into Norwegian, and I have been getting them right !  Hear the Swedish, and then learn to know what

it is telling you.  It becomes easier.. really !

Jay

• Like 1

"Ät inte gul snö."

Wise words Duolingo.  Wise words indeed.

ROFL.. Tooo Much.

"Don't eat yellow snow"..

I got a good one two days ago also.

"Dette er ikke robotene du lest etter"

(These are not the robots (droids) you are looking for)... :;):

See, Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish are very similar.

• Like 1

"Ät inte gul snö."

Wise words Duolingo.  Wise words indeed.

ROFL.. Tooo Much.

"Don't eat yellow snow"..

I got a good one two days ago also.

"Dette er ikke robotene du lest etter"

(These are not the robots (droids) you are looking for)... :;):

See, Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish are very similar.

Assuming I didn't mess something up: "Dessa är inte droiderna du letar efter."
  • Like 1

: "Dessa är inte droiderna du letar efter."

Norwegian doesn't have a "word" for droids, so they use "The Robots - Robotene".

Nice job !

Depends if there's an official Norwegian dubbed version of the Star Wars movies.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

So I logged on the yesterday and noticed that several of my older spanish lessons were no longer complete.  They had updated the learning tree, and moved the checkpoint to just after my current lesson.  Good to know they update the lessons.  But was odd when I first looked at it.

• Like 2

So I logged on the yesterday and noticed that several of my older spanish lessons were no longer complete.  They had updated the learning tree, and moved the checkpoint to just after my current lesson.  Good to know they update the lessons.  But was odd when I first looked at it.

I noticed the same thing. I am not sure they added a whole new section to each of them though. I swear I already knew the majority of the stuff in the animals one, for instance...and it was only a four-part lesson. Not sure if it was only a three-part before.

• Like 1

I have noticed that they keep expanding modules also.

Things that were 3 sections now have seven (7) sections.

Its a bit frustrating to me personally, since I have gone through the first Norwegian

tree already,  They added about 150 new sections to the second language tree.

• Like 2