Language Software and Websites

Talae

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish duolingo had Japanese. That's the language I am most interested in learning right now

I know, right? I really could use the practice for the inlaws. But I guess Duolingo couldn't find enough customers wanting things translated.

Son is still miffed that he's ahead of me in the German tree, but sitting at only 5% fluent. Hit 11% last night myself. I don't believe a word of it, but awfully tempted to add that to my LinkedIn profile just for grins.

• Like 2

I find it odd that fluency increases when doing the practice portions or the lessons. I would have thought a better assessment of fluency would be the lessons.

I am working in a Beta Program for the Norwegian, so I don't see those types of things.

(Which I am glad of).  I tend to get tripped up on that stuff, so I can only continue merrily along learning.

In 90 plus day's I'll be done, and then I can see about the fluency.  !

I know quite a few folks that are interested in Japanese, but that requires a massive character set, almost a separate keyboard, and I am sure

that it would be a nightmare to program. 

Keep making progress !!!

I am not hung up on the tallied fluency percent. Mine is at like 17%, but that can't be reflective of how much has been taught to me so far (definitely couldn't multiply time I have put in by a little over six and telegraph that to 100% fluency). I am not even comfortable enough to try and tell the Spanish teacher at work what I have learned so far...yet.

I've done level 1 of RS and worked on duolingo for 6 days now. I like them both for different reasons. For those that are further along in duolingo, is thier a way to practice just speaking and pronunciation? RS has a core lesson, then focused lesson that work on both of those and grammar, listening, reading, and writing. RS does not explain the grammar as well as duolingo does. All RS is completely in Spanish, with no translation. Over all I think working them both will be helpful for me.

• Like 1

I am at 20 days (since I messed up early on and missed a day). Going a rather slow pace, though. I tend to do a lesson or maybe two and then spend a few days just doing the practice to keep things gold. Currently, I am at 18% fluent, apparently.

• Like 2

I am at 20 days (since I messed up early on and missed a day). Going a rather slow pace, though. I tend to do a lesson or maybe two and then spend a few days just doing the practice to keep things gold. Currently, I am at 18% fluent, apparently.

Nice going Talae !

You have to find the speed, and time that you can commit to.  Nowadays I do one lesson per day.  I then read five newspapers in Norwegian.  I do not go back and get the gold lines back up anymore.

I have about 2 months left in the course, I have been doing it for 192 days.  I find myself translating everything, and sometimes just not thinking in English.  Its fun when you scan a news article and realize you didn't "translate it", you just "read" it, and knew what it was talking about.  Its great to see so many folks learning and growing. !!! 

• Like 1

Wow! 5 newspapers. I'm only on day 14 and 15% with duolingo. But I feel I'm missing something by only using the 2 software. So I made a 2nd profile on Netflix using Spanish as the language. I figure on my days off I'll start watching a kids show or 2 to help add some practice in. Newspapers might not be a bad idea either.

• Like 2

Wow! 5 newspapers. I'm only on day 14 and 15% with duolingo. But I feel I'm missing something by only using the 2 software. So I made a 2nd profile on Netflix using Spanish as the language. I figure on my days off I'll start watching a kids show or 2 to help add some practice in. Newspapers might not be a bad idea either.

Great Move !!!!

I read Norwegian rather well, so the five newspapers are just information gathering.  Its also another source to get myself re-acquainted with words I may have forgotten.  I also have an app on my cellphone that is in Norwegian and English.  If I see a word I'm not familiar with, I type it in, and then keep on reading.  I also listen to the news in Norwegian from NRK.  These are just variations on practice, nothing more.  Keep the streaks going, you will be amazed what starts happening after 30 days.. it really starts making sense ! And you start to sound funny.  ROFL

• Like 1

@ Silvervane; You asked about a concentrated speaking/hearing section in DuoLingo.  Nope.. it is NOT broken out; BUT

as you go along in the lessons they amount of listen/translate/enter in the sentence increases.  I have made a typo (not a real mistake)

and the verbal part of the lesson doubled, causing me to do translate several audible sentences in Norwegian.  So the amount of verbal

skill teaching does increase.  If you make a mistake in the "type what you hear", they WILL come back to it, that is a guarantee.

Which is why I write every word I hear and see down.  I have five yellow legal pads filled at this state of the learning process.

Hope that Helps.

Jay

• Like 2

It helps, thanks.  I have a vendor I try greeting in Spanish at work.  I don't get very far in the conversion before he speaks faster than I can understand.  It's in fun, as he knows I trying to learn.  I only see him once a week though.

You Probably know this; but I will say it anyway.

There IS a difference between Spanish taught from Spain, and Spanish taught from South America, Mexico, and Puerto Rico.

So you may be hearing idioms, and word combo's that are geo-cultural specific.

Great you have someone to exchange words with. !

• Like 2

Alas, I'm all to familiar with that problem.  I just think about the idioms in English from England to US.  I have watched some British TV (Both drama and comedy).  I have the Central American Rosetta stone.  And as a goof I snagged a copy of Dirty Spanish eBook.  They actually have in parenthesis where the term would be spoken if it region specific in that book.

I have yet to graduate to that level where I have to concern myself with that.  It will happen soon I'm sure.  And that vendor is from Puerto Rico (I already asked).  Still I imagine the basic should be close enough.  Just feel that learning it can't hurt living in america.  

I appreciate the info Jason.  I may be crazy, but I also have a copy of RS German as well.  I would love to visit Germany and the British Isle to sight see the castles and such.  I hope to begin that when I have a good grasp on Spanish.  I tried the 2 at the same time, and was a bit overwhelmed.  Mostly because the lesson on RS were not all that different.  So I was simultaneously learning the same words in both languages.

• Like 1