Language Software and Websites

Talae

One language at a time !!!  LOL

As young kids we could handle and sort it out.

Now.. not so much.

Most of the languages I studied in my Youth have been forgotten.  Latin is still workable with effort from English to Latin, , Latin to English still functions.

I used to be able to converse in Latin.. (Now that is scary)..LOL.

Sadly Spanish (from Spain), Greek, Hebrew have fallen to the wayside due to non use.

I talk to my cousins in Norway, so that language is functional and desired.

I spent several weeks in Germany, and if they left me there another month I would have been fluent in German !!!

• Like 1

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did conjunctions lesson this morning.  Perhaps should have waited till the headache actually subsided.  Progress made though, now just have to repeat enough that I'm not constantly looking them up as I go.

As a side note, I look forward to being able to read the Swedish copy of Supercrew (superhero rpg) that I've owned for several years now.  I bought both the english version and the swedish version (Supergänget).

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 2

I got put onto DuoLingo by a workmate last week, so I'm trying it out. I would have liked to try learning an Asian language (since I live in Australia and we have a lot of Asian immigrants), but since they don't seem to have any I went for German. On a six day streak so far...

• Like 2

Awww, Duolingo doesn't have Hindi.  :down:  They have Irish and Esperanto, but no Mandarin?  :huh:  What the hell is their metric for deciding which languages to support?  <_<

I think part of it comes from alphabet and characters. Asian languages require much greater work for them, from what I understand. 

• Like 2

Awww, Duolingo doesn't have Hindi.  :down:  They have Irish and Esperanto, but no Mandarin?  :huh:  What the hell is their metric for deciding which languages to support?  <_<

I think part of it comes from alphabet and characters. Asian languages require much greater work for them, from what I understand. 

Ok, that's a plausible justification.  It still struck me as comically absurd.  ::P:

• Like 1

Ok, that's a plausible justification.  It still struck me as comically absurd.  ::P:

In their discussion pages (after you log in)... you can search for new languages:

Here is what I just read:

The problem is the language characters. 

Turkish is under development. Japanese, Mandarin, Yue, Wu, and others will probably will make their way into Duolingo after a while. Keep in mind that they use characters in the Chinese languages, and Japanese has two alphabets and a character system, so it won't be easy to get the technology to do so. Currently, courses in reverse have taught English to speakers of Japanese, Korean, the Chinese languages (they all use the same script), Vietnamese, Hindi, Bahasa Indonesia/Indonesian, Arabic, Turkish, and the reverse course for Thai is underway.

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

I don't know if you Duolingo folks have noticed, but there are 3 "bonus skill" slots that open up. In the Lingots store, there are 2 available for 30 each. It turns out that the missing 3rd skill is Christmas, and is now in the store. Even if you're more interested in the other 2, you may want to buy it now so you don't have to wait a year until it's available again.

• Like 2

You folks are hysterical !

Great one about yelling in German, I'll have to share that with my brother.

Fortunately, I have been in Norway in December, and Jul is a big deal there.

The Christmas shops on Karl Johann's street are so much fun to walk into.

I just checked, I have 77 Lesson's to complete in Norwegian as of tomorrow.

I just made the 200 day streak this morning.

Once the weather turns bad, I'll turn up the lesson speed, and knock out two or three per day.

Or continue doing exactly what I am doing, and finish in February.

• Like 1

but you should learn to flirt with your wife.

"tell someone you love them, because life is short, but yell it at them in german because life is also scary and confusing" or somesuch

I read this whole comment in Jorge Sprave's voice.

"This is my love for you; let me show you it's features!"

:lol:

• Like 1

My one problem with Duolingo is that it further encourages my hearing and reading of Spanish but not so much speaking it. I'm okay with hearing(slowly plz or average pace) and reading but I cannot naturally speak it. I'd probably do better if I was dropped in a Spanish speaking only environment to learn it.

• Like 1

My one problem with Duolingo is that it further encourages my hearing and reading of Spanish but not so much speaking it. I'm okay with hearing(slowly plz or average pace) and reading but I cannot naturally speak it. I'd probably do better if I was dropped in a Spanish speaking only environment to learn it.

That is the one part I like about Rosetta Stone over Duolingo. In the speech part the have a part that lets you hear yourself speaking what they are asking you to say. But the grammar is better explained in Duolingo.

• Like 2