Language Software and Websites

Talae

I don't know if you Duolingo folks have noticed, but there are 3 "bonus skill" slots that open up. In the Lingots store, there are 2 available for 30 each. It turns out that the missing 3rd skill is Christmas, and is now in the store. Even if you're more interested in the other 2, you may want to buy it now so you don't have to wait a year until it's available again.

I didn't notice that in the lingots store...

Just went and checked, NOPE.. not available in languages that are in Beta.

I'll pick those up after I finish the course I guess.

Oh...in the middle of the "Health" lessons today got a verbal translation request...

I've spent an hour doing legs, arms, hands, knee's, feet, head, wounds, bruises, and blisters.

The sentence is all verbal.. and it makes NOOOOOOOOOOO sense.

I just type in something I know isn't right... the sentence was:

"Let your beard grow"... WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is an OUT of Context sentence..ROFL.

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completed the seven lessons on "Health" this morning.

Last one was tougher that usual, but I finished it.

I was all excited !  Yay !!!

Then I realized that I now have NINE (9) lesson's on POLITICS, Norwegian Politics in reality.

Oh, its gonna be a tough nine day stretch !!

Probably worse than "Filosofi" Philosophy . !  ROFL.

• Like 3

I'm kind of regretting doing the family lessons for Swedish. I mean sure it is occasionally relevant to know if the relative in question is maternal or paternal side but I don't think it's useful every single time you mention an aunt or uncle. My practices have gotten a bit challenging while I try to absorb those words into vocabulary.

Still, Swedish is sooo much more logical than English so far, I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 2

I'm kind of regretting doing the family lessons for Swedish. I mean sure it is occasionally relevant to know if the relative in question is maternal or paternal side but I don't think it's useful every single time you mention an aunt or uncle. My practices have gotten a bit challenging while I try to absorb those words into vocabulary.

Still, Swedish is sooo much more logical than English so far, I'm enjoying quite a bit.

The Morfar, Farfar concept is a bit different.

Calling ones grandparents as "moms father, moms mother, and dads dad, dads mom is NOT what we are used to !

Of course.  Beste [best] (bestefar, bestemor) parents for grandparents isn't american, but it sure says a lot about "cold fish Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes !!

Don't think that is cold in anyway ! (Best mother/Father sounds rather nice to me).

They also go with  Best first names also.  (Beste Sonja, Beste Harold)

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

Well, I sat down and did Inventory in the Norwegian Course.

Major areas are Science, Feelings, Business, and Adverbs...the rest are small lethal courses..ROFL.
In Total I have sixty six (a Norwegian joke is that number is referred to as "SEXty SEXty"... oye.. so phunny),
lessons left to the course.
They range around seven lessons for the majors, and 3 lessons for the minors.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel !!
Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 3

I'm still plugging along (45-day streak!), but I've definitely gone back and done practice sessions at times to hit my daily goal instead of progressing. That said, I'm almost bewildered whenever it tells me how proficient I am in Italian. 25%? Really? Now I'm imagining that the stereotypical Italian gesticulation became a stereotype because most people there don't know any words and just charades their way through life.

• Like 3

I'm still plugging along (45-day streak!), but I've definitely gone back and done practice sessions at times to hit my daily goal instead of progressing. That said, I'm almost bewildered whenever it tells me how proficient I am in Italian. 25%? Really? Now I'm imagining that the stereotypical Italian gesticulation became a stereotype because most people there don't know any words and just charades their way through life.

I always did practice sessions until I got to the 50 percent mark in the course.

The constant pummeling, and frustration I was feeling just convinced me that I should go for it;

since I was on the verge of stopping my lessons.  When you spend two hours drilling through a course, and

you are not happy with the audio version of the course (remember, I am in a beta), you do get frustrated.

There are times when the audio is totally confusing to me, and a two line sentence sounds like garbage to me.

I get REALLY frustrated.  I read Norwegian EXTREMELY well.  So I have issues with the beta course as far as

their audio.  I also do not like their verbal choices.  A sentence such as "War IS peace" in a political context

just jacks me up to the walls.. It IS NOT making contextual sense to me.

But hey; in sixty days it won't matter, I'll be done.

:devil:

• Like 1

Glad to see that you are at 25 percent proficiency !

that shows that you are doing a lot of practice !

The more practice you do the higher your rating becomes.

The most difficult part for English speakers is the "Adjective matching the Noun part.

We don't have that in English, and most European languages do.

Applaud your ethic, and achievements !

Great Going !

Jay

• Like 1

Had one of those nights where a word I know cold just wouldn't work for my brain and of course that means that the software kept throwing variations of it at me for the entire practice.  First time I've wanted to curse it soundly.  I can't though.  It hasn't taught me those words.

• Like 3

Had one of those nights where a word I know cold just wouldn't work for my brain and of course that means that the software kept throwing variations of it at me for the entire practice.  First time I've wanted to curse it soundly.  I can't though.  It hasn't taught me those words.

If you begin to read the Swedish Newspapers and (se og hor) Magazine, you will have NO problem learning the Words to yell

at your screen..ROFL.  I sometime read what the politicians are saying to each other, and I didn't think you could put that in a news

papers !  As long as it is a quote.. go for it !  It is also very chic to use American Profanity, since everyone speaks English !

I have an app on my cellphone that is an English and Norwegian Dictionary.  I use that to look up spelling, find a Norwegian word or sounding out a word that I know, but can't remember.  It helps a lot.

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

I've been using the app for 28 days (24% fluency in Spanish) now and finally logged on to the website to see what it had to offer.  Haven't tried using it for lessons, but I wanted to see what it was like.  Wishing I had known about the holiday bonus skills.  Would have picked that over flirting.  Ahh well.  

• Like 1

I am sure that you will get the chance to pick up the bonus skills Silvervane !!!

I guess that my rant to whoever was in charge of sentences etc.. had paid off.

Suddenly sentences have been modified, and I am NOT so frustrated by the "Marble Mouthed Lady" speaking Norwegian.

I had to laugh today when a sentence was presented that said "I translated to mean".. The Norwegian Navy is stronger that the Swedish Navy".

I laughed my butt off.  Its like a Swedish joke in Norway.  They are always pranking each other !

Under sixty days to completion !

• Like 1

So I'm figure I'll post here when I ding.  I'm level 8 today.  Which is cool cause that gets me to a 30 day streak and 23 lingots.  Woot! One month at this.  I might just get that Xmas Bonus yet.

Good LUCK !  Hope that you get it.

I am six pages from the end of my 5th Norwegian yellow legal pad !

I have the entire course written down in notebooks, one sentence at a time.

I have them coded per page line.

* is new word (* GLAD)  spaces to "translation of new word"/additional word meaning/additional word meaning. /happy/glad/joyful

=> whole sentence in new language. JEG ER GLAD !

*=> language translated into English. I AM HAPPY.

I then highlight the new language line.

What that does for me is it causes me to write the new word at least three times.

I memorized words after writing them three times.  I also have a written reference when they repeat a sentence,

or if the go to a verbal repeat of the sentence.

It is a bit writing intensive, but it works for me. 

Keep chugging along.

Jay

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

So I'm figure I'll post here when I ding.  I'm level 8 today.  Which is cool cause that gets me to a 30 day streak and 23 lingots.  Woot! One month at this.  I might just get that Xmas Bonus yet.

Good LUCK !  Hope that you get it.

I am six pages from the end of my 5th Norwegian yellow legal pad !

I have the entire course written down in notebooks, one sentence at a time.

I have them coded per page line.

* is new word (* GLAD)  spaces to "translation of new word"/additional word meaning/additional word meaning. /happy/glad/joyful

=> whole sentence in new language. JEG ER GLAD !

*=> language translated into English. I AM HAPPY.

I then highlight the new language line.

What that does for me is it causes me to write the new word at least three times.

I memorized words after writing them three times.  I also have a written reference when they repeat a sentence,

or if the go to a verbal repeat of the sentence.

It is a bit writing intensive, but it works for me. 

Keep chugging along.

Jay

I should really do this...

Also, I had a meeting across town today that went long followed by a last minute gaming night that went way late. Looks like I missed a day. That should be fine due to the steak saver ability or whatever it is called. I will figure it out when I wake up, though. 

• Like 2