Language Software and Websites

Talae

So I'm figure I'll post here when I ding.  I'm level 8 today.  Which is cool cause that gets me to a 30 day streak and 23 lingots.  Woot! One month at this.  I might just get that Xmas Bonus yet.

Good LUCK !  Hope that you get it.

I am six pages from the end of my 5th Norwegian yellow legal pad !

I have the entire course written down in notebooks, one sentence at a time.

I have them coded per page line.

* is new word (* GLAD)  spaces to "translation of new word"/additional word meaning/additional word meaning. /happy/glad/joyful

=> whole sentence in new language. JEG ER GLAD !

*=> language translated into English. I AM HAPPY.

I then highlight the new language line.

What that does for me is it causes me to write the new word at least three times.

I memorized words after writing them three times.  I also have a written reference when they repeat a sentence,

or if the go to a verbal repeat of the sentence.

It is a bit writing intensive, but it works for me. 

Keep chugging along.

Jay

I should really do this...

Also, I had a meeting across town today that went long followed by a last minute gaming night that went way late. Looks like I missed a day. That should be fine due to the steak saver ability or whatever it is called. I will figure it out when I wake up, though. 

Agreed, I know simply writing notes down in class was often enough to set it in my memory.  Even when I took some college classes a few years ago.  But I probably will procrastinate doing that.  I'm just happy I've lasted as long on the program as I have.  Tried Duolingo's website with a headset today over my usual cellphone.  I think I like it more.  It definitely give better feed back for me.

• Like 1

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I came home from the Christmas dinner/gift exchange with friends yesterday evening, and saw my note on coffee table.

DUOLINGO needs to be done today STILL.  Le Sigh.

I am on a 221 day streak (not losing that !) so I opened it up with a yawn, and an "Im So Sleepy" thought.

Amazingly; I knocked out the lesson in 30 minutes ! 

Maybe they abbreviated the lesson since it was Christmas Day ?

This morning's lesson took 35 minutes, so either I am getting this down, or they are going easier for the holidays.

Whichever it is, I'll take it !!!

Hope everyone is progressing.

Jay

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

Good Going Talae !

I started working on the Present Perfect (ing words; surprising, swimming, going, etc,,)

I knew I should NOT have stayed up past midnight playing Plants vs Zombies; but I got in the mood.

This morning I'm slower than I usually am, and it kicked my butt around the field for 1 1/2 hours..ROFL.

Tonight will get more sleep for tomorrow's lesson.

I must admit that I am looking forward to finishing the language lessons.  16 segments left to do.

Keep climbing the language tree ! 

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

Finished the Christmas lessons today, 37 days and 32%. not sure I'm feeling 32% is accurate. I'm feeling a lot less fluent than that.

Go with the flow, since when they are done with you.. .YOU WILL be better than that 32 percent anyway..LOL.

Believe me, there are plateau's that you suddenly find yourself on, and you are fighting the devil, and suddenly the light

bulb come on and you say ..OH!!!  That's it !!  As you go deeper into the course you gain that confidence to know that you

are "right on".

Keep knocking down the pins !

• Like 3

I find it rather amazing when I start a new lesson in the "final's set".. Dang are they hard to get into.

I'm doing present participles, and the spoken sentences stop me dead in my tracks.

I understand most of the sentence, then there is ONE word that sounds like twenty other words.

Yeap, Instead of follow, I choose search, instead of something, I choose follow.

Today's lesson took TWO hours for me to complete (Its all me, I kept on stepping into the "Repeat manure bucket".

I was soooooooooo mentally exhausted by the end of this lesson I could scream (which of course made me make MORE mistakes).

Tomorrow is the last segment in this area.. hopefully it will improve.

15 more segments to go.. Le Sigh.

I need a week of bad weather to finish this whole darn experience.. tain't happening yet.

• Like 3

Rewatched part of "Låt den rätte komma in" (Let the right one in) which is one of my favorite movies of all time and was thrilled to realize I understood parts of it now without the subtitles.

Gratulerer !

How cool is that !!!

Jay Applauds !

I listened to the Kings speech from Norway tonight, and I didn't use a translation to understand it.

I am SO HAPPY !

Finally I am understanding what is being said !

• Like 3

Most interesting of mornings.

I had to remind my German speaking brother that German AND Norwegian are NOT the same language..lol

He always expects me to understand when he rattles off German, so I turned the mirror on him.  I started speaking

in Norwegian, he was HUH?  I just said EXACTLY !

I just had an OMG moment, since I just completed "Future Perfect" verbs. "I WILL HAVE CALLED by Monday"

is an example.  That was excruciating to get my head around for a while, then it dawned on me.  Where I live

most folks to not use a great deal of conversational skills.  They only speak in present or past tense.

I have found myself resorting to simpler, non-complex, non-multi-purpose words since I moved here.

I really don't want to say "dumb-ing down"; but I was shocked at the realization.

Am I wrong in my thinking ?

• Like 2

Most interesting of mornings.

I had to remind my German speaking brother that German AND Norwegian are NOT the same language..lol

He always expects me to understand when he rattles off German, so I turned the mirror on him.  I started speaking

in Norwegian, he was HUH?  I just said EXACTLY !

I just had an OMG moment, since I just completed "Future Perfect" verbs. "I WILL HAVE CALLED by Monday"

is an example.  That was excruciating to get my head around for a while, then it dawned on me.  Where I live

most folks to not use a great deal of conversational skills.  They only speak in present or past tense.

I have found myself resorting to simpler, non-complex, non-multi-purpose words since I moved here.

I really don't want to say "dumb-ing down"; but I was shocked at the realization.

Am I wrong in my thinking ?

Nope, I found in my last position I had to do that with some coworkers.  They weren't dumb, they just unaccustomed to speaking in overly complex sentences or vocabulary.  That reminds me I need to start reading more frequently, so I don't slip into that myself.

On a related note, I decided for the new year I will set my daily goal to insane (5 sessions) daily goals.  I also just realized in several of the lessons that they have tips explaining various parts of speech.  "DOH!"  

• Like 2

On a related note, I decided for the new year I will set my daily goal to insane (5 sessions) daily goals.  I also just realized in several of the lessons that they have tips explaining various parts of speech.  "DOH!"  

Fantastic Goal !

I hope you are able to continue at that speed.

I, unfortunately, wouldn't survive that.  I write every sentence down that is used in the course.

English to Norwegian, Norwegian to English, and the spoken sentences also.

I started a new yellow pad (legal size, 50 lines per side).

I have eight one sided pages of notes since 30 December.

Which is 400 notes, 200 in English, 200 in Norwegian.

That slows me down, but drills me in spelling, and vocabulary.

oh, the course teaches two thousand words in your chosen language at least.

If you augment with a Newspaper and TV shows, you can really pick up some vocab !

I'm cheering for you Silvervane.

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 3

Thanks Jasonator, I should add that I plan to continue with Rosetta Stone as well.  There have already been multiple words, between the 2, for the same word basic word in English.  I had to look them up online to decipher the difference.  As for spelling, I am bad at spelling in English so why should Spanish be any defferent different.  I'm not sure I could keep up with the writing disciple like you do.  I'm trying write stories and I think doing it your way would drive the desire, to write, right out of me.  And it's hard enough to get started most days.  Being single and childless is a great boon for me to find time for all these hobbies.

• Like 2