Language Software and Websites

Talae

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Silvervane -You have set a mighty high degree of language practice for every day;

something usually gives out.  Great going though.

I have 10 more topics to finish before I complete the Norwegian language tree.

Knowing Norwegian culture like I do, I got the scariest verbal sentence to translate INTO Norwegian today.

it was:

Jeg ville ikke ha spist det, om jeg var du ! (Have to listen to it, and write the Norwegian that you hear).

which translates into:

"I would NOT have eaten that; if I were you" !

Now since the Norwegians have given us "Lutefisk", sheep's head, and other "Gourmand food"...shudder.

That sentence had me rolling on the floor !

But I DID get it right ! 

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 3

Way to keep at it!  I hope to some day get to that point in my practice.  I can see why you would be laughing when you put it in that context.  It made me smile.

Your right about giving out.  I haven't been able to keep up with the rosetta stone.  What with me starting an exercise program and keeping to my painting schedule.  But that's OK.  I feel duolingo is working better at keeping me motivates.  But I still want to complete RS as well, since I did put out the money for it.  

• Like 1

In Norwegian it is "Kong Vinteren Kommer"... "KING Winter is coming".

I think it is more that they are taking the Nordic influence into the series.

Winter is referred to as "King Winter".. also Moose are referred to as "The king of the forest.

"Kongen Av Skogen". 

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

Well having seen moose up close and personal from Maine, I can aprove of that translation.

So while talking to my Spanish speaking rep, he mentioned using subtitles in both directions. Have them speaking Spanish with subtitle and speaking English with subtitles . Will have to give that a try. As for progress I'm at 41% fluency?

• Like 1

I hit the 60 day streak today. At this point I do feel like I am picking up new vocabulary and understanding things better than I did in the past. It is still pretty much limited to use while in the program, though. Hopefully I can push through that reservation soon.

• Like 2

I hit the 60 day streak today. At this point I do feel like I am picking up new vocabulary and understanding things better than I did in the past. It is still pretty much limited to use while in the program, though. Hopefully I can push through that reservation soon.

Mucho Gusto !

Bueno Talae !

(my Spanish is forgotten as I only spoke it to my girlfriend in High School). 

So now you know why I know what "Besso me Mucho" means :devil:

I never had a reason to use it after that. 

• Like 1

"Besso" is not in my vocabulary. I feel like I need to work harder at this...

Other than that, thank you! It is your streak that makes me want to succeed (and think it is possible).

Nor mine yet.  I agree with Talae on this one.

You guys are doing fantastic !  You are learning another language, and getting the effort in.

You will be AMAZED the day that you look at a newspaper in Spanish, and realize that you are not only understanding it;

you are able to "guess" words that you don't know ! 

You begin to learn by NOT knowing.  I do it all the time now.

I also have a "repeater" in the back of my brain that translates EVERYTHING I say into that other language.

(Oh.. But be VERY aware".. Your English will suffer at a certain point, until you get everything back into balance.

I write English as Norwegian if I am not careful.  I have to go back after typing something and make it English.

Its only temporary as your brain remaps, but dang is it frustrating at times.

Keep up the great work !!

Jay

• Like 1