So there's this minotaur, y'see. He's about 50mm tall from toe to brow, 93mm overall without the base. I'm not sure of the figure's origins, but I suspect it's a Games Workshop piece from the chaos arrows on the belt.

It came without a base, and the feet were angled out-of-line with eachother, so I constructed one of some thin craft plywood squares and glued sand on top of that.

I've been trying to color it as a black Angus bull, but it's really hard to express contour shading on a deep glossy black. Any recommendations?

post-12393-0-93859700-1446678235.jpgpost-12393-0-67177900-1446678234.jpg

post-12393-0-53680600-1446678233.jpgpost-12393-0-26848100-1446678232.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is GW's Doombull / Minotaur Champion from the 90's.

Chaos Army when it was still a mix of Beastmen, Warriors and Deamons , core troops depended on what general you chose and the other races were specials then.

Good Work so far

Edited by Xherman1964

The color is coming out a purple in the photos, so a blue-black or very dark blue-purple would be a good shade tone.  Bring up the main tone with a mix of the normal purple and a slightly lighter grey if the photos are accurate.  Mid tone should be a mid-blue-violet so you're walking across the color spectrum. 

Also, I second the Doombull from GW, although I was unaware it was a Doombull Lord/Minotaur champion.  This is one of the few GW minotaurs that looks good to me.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Iridil
      Finally painted her up! Is that a wolf head, an elf head, or... your friend's head in the sack? Can't see too well in the photos, but I did add some blood...

• By R2ED
      It's the weekend and you know what time it is!

Got a terrifying little foursome going here this time.  Attempted a few new things that have been given to me as feedback over the last few weeks, so thought it was a good time to put them to use.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Sticking to a simple color scheme for the skin - trying to only use two tones and building up the colors.  Win - kind of.  More on that to come.
      * Making the chest area stand out from the rest of the skin I thank made for a fun touch.  Layering was done well, but learned a lot in doing it that next time could be easier.
      *  Eyes.  HOLY SMOKES!  I'm so happy with the eyes.  I did a blacked out eye area, filled in the round white, then used a black to dot in the center.  Was a shaking mess doing it?  You bet I was, but the outcome was worth it.  Each of them have eyes I'm very happy with.
      *  2 of them have a burnt umber ink wash 4:1 flow improver to DR Ink.  The wash went on well and settled into the seems, but I think there's still something I'm missing.  Had to go back with another coat and hit just the cracks for deeper color.  The other 2 were done with a diluted MSP Brown Liner.  The Brown Liner was the better of the two to really draw out the shadows, but still something to be desired.  However, both of these methods worked better than a GW wash that usually just dirties them up.
      *  Horns were pretty good prior to the wash I gave them in a transition from dark rust to a bone white.  I thought the ridges needed more depth so I washed it with that brown liner.  They dont' look bad, but they don't look as good as I hoped.  The win was learning this brown liner wash.

Misses:
      * I tried washing over the leather colored kilt with a black wash.  Big miss!  Messy, wrong tone, and ruined it.  Had to do it again.
      *  Tried a red color for the waist cloth (same red you see on the eye-patched minitaur on his wrist bands) and it was too similar in color.  I was aiming for brighter colors to break up the model.  I don't think it worked.  Did it over again with MSP Leather.
      *  I hate the fabrics on their kilts.  None of them came out as I hoped.  Only one with decent turn out was the eye-patched guy with his kilt-o-faces.  
      *  Washes ended up heavy and very, very, very glossy.  So glossy in fact, I couldn't even tell if they were dry or just glossy.  Using flow improver on top of an ink is basically like making it glass.  Good to know, but not desired look.
      *  The swords and metal overall wasn't ideal.  Kind of dark for what I wanted.  I chickened out on the NMM.  Again.

I'm happy to have these little guys done and don't think they are bad.  Just think they could have been better.  Getting to understand the washes, glossiness, what matte cote will do it after, and the eyes - oh those eyes, this was all a project worth doing even if it wasn't my ideal turnout.  Here they are.

As always send me any feedback you got.  

• By aku-chan
      Presenting the Tin Man, another member of the Oz Gang from the game Twisted by Demented Games.

While I did keep him fairly basic, I'm happy with how he turned out. Unfortunately my inability to photograph metallics properly has kinda ruined my piccys of him.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received. 
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of 02811, Dain Deepaxe. This one took me a little longer to finish. There is so many details on this model, it's amazing. This Dark Heaven Legends model was sculpted by Werner Klocke.

• By aku-chan
      Presenting my Beastman Champion and true child of Atmos (In my own fantasy setting I base some of my Games Workshop stuff in, Beastman are a race of former humans who were changed by worshipping an ancient, goat-headed god called Atmos. Occasionally, an actual goat-headed Beastman will be born amongst them and will be considered Atmos's offspring, they then get all the best food and stuff and grow up to be one of the leaders or shamans of the various tribes.) Who is from the Warhammer: Underworlds range by Games Workshop.

I'm super pleased with how this guy turned out, but I really need to buckle down and actually finish one of these Underworlds sets.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)