Sign in to follow this  
misterc

Dungeon Saga Undead

I've been asked over on the Mantic forum how the Dungeon Saga skeletons compare next to the older Kings of War skeletons.

If anyone is interested, here's a comparison shot.

ds1%20001_zps9r5ochfm.jpg

Argh, just noticed the blob of gunmetal on the skull.  :grr:  

Edited by misterc
  • Like 2

I've been asked over on the Mantic forum how the Dungeon Saga skeletons compare next to the older Kings of War skeletons.

If anyone is interested, here's a comparison shot.

ds1%20001_zps9r5ochfm.jpg

Argh, just noticed the blob of gunmetal on the skull.  :grr:  

I do love mantic skeletons.

• Like 1

The skeletons have all had a wash.

ds1%20001_zpsniyngevx.jpg

ds1%20002_zpsos6m9wus.jpg

ds1%20003_zpsp3hby6iz.jpg

Most of each mini was washed with Vallejo Game Colour Sepia Wash.  I found this gave sufficient shading for the bones and the bulk of the clothing.

Grey areas were washed with a mix of VCG Black and Light Grey washes, and the blue cloak was black and blue.

Black wash was then used sparingly to deepen some of the shadows.

The wash not only shades the figures, but also dulls the rather garish base coats.

Next step is to highlight, I'm not sure whether to dry brush or try my (limited) blending skills.

And the six human zombies are waiting for their undercoats now.

• Like 5

They're looking good. How is the material to work with? Not just paint, but all around--is it strong, brittle, etc?

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to brittle, I had to give it the hot water treatment to undo some quite extreme bends, all bent back to normal.

In gluing the 'floating' foot back to the base I had to cold bend each skeleton out of the way to apply superglue, and there was no breaking,  nor did I feel there was any danger of this.

They have also been dropped from table height onto carpet with no ill effects.

The surface of the plastic takes paint well, I used brush on VGC white primer, and got perfect surface covering (I might thin the primer a little next time).

I haven't yet done any mold line removal, I will try some and report back.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

@ Werkrobotwerk, if you like Mantic undead, you might like to check out my friend's blog at https://vaultoftheundead.wordpress.com/

Edited by misterc
  • Like 2

I will be trying sealer/varnish on these at the appropriate time.

I have some spares in other sets (though sadly no extra Undead) so will try without primer.  Not yet though, must finish the Undead first and not get distracted (ooo look, squirrel).

• Like 3

OK, I'm a bit late with the update.  To be honest i struggled getting these anything like a standard I was happy with.  Drybrushing let me down (well actually i couldn't find my usual brush, and the replacement took some getting used to).

In the end they are part drybrushed, part highlighted.

ds%201%20001_zpsvwxmpqjb.jpg

ds%201%20002_zps25ygn8n1.jpg

ds%201%20003_zpsa4ilqxwe.jpg

ds%201%20004_zpsviw183ls.jpg

ds%201%20005_zpsvmscwyql.jpg

ds%201%20007_zpsvjdkdi3q.jpg

The mold lines are disappointingly obvious on these photos, though in real life they don't look too bad.

Next up I will do the bases, then a final bit of detailing, like belt buckles, cloak pins etc, and possibly some mucky-ing up of the cloaks etc and rusting of weapons.

As always,, comments etc welcomed.

• Like 5

Finished!!  Unless of course I can't resist going back and messing with them (and no doubt ruining them).

ds%20009_zpshcvmroxt.jpg

ds%20008_zpsn5j2zazd.jpg

ds%20006_zpsqavynjgf.jpg

ds%20004_zpshwttsqx6.jpg

ds%20003_zpsydovhgd9.jpg

ds%20002_zps8zqchjqk.jpg

I finished off the metalwork with chainmail on the buckles and broaches.  Rust patches were added with GW Dark Flesh in patches, then slightly smaller patches of GW Foundation Macharius Solar Orange.  Then all the metal work was given another wash of sepia.

The bases were given a base coat of Vallejo Model Colour German Grey, then a wash of black.  I then took various greys and browns and picked out individual stones, finally tying them all together with a drybrush of Bone White.

I am quite pleased with the end result, all fine for board game pieces.  I wish I had taken the time to properly clean up the mould lines, but i could hardly see them on the bare plastic; I think they are quite obvious now.

Next up either the six zombies or the heroes.  What does anybody want to see, and shall I post my progress on here?

• Like 8

Nice job on them.

Would giving them a wash help to pick out the mold lines for easier removal going forward?

I say keep the undead theme going, so zombies and then the heroes.

Yes, please do keep  posting progress.

• Like 1

Yes I could give them a wash before clean up.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

I had thought to try without undercoat on one of the figures in response to a previous request.

That's one vote for the zombies.  

There are also the 'specials (ghosts, revenants or skeletal dwarves, and the famous zombies trolls, plus the bosses; undead dwarf king, zombie troll shaman, banshee and the necromancer.

• Like 1

In that case, do the zombies, then one (or some if they're in groups) of the 'specials', then maybe some more rank and file guys, then the heroes and so on.

• Like 1

The zombies should give me what I need for the first quest.

These are the normal zombies

ds%20010_zpst9r3crgs.jpg

The two on the right are armoured zombies, and are a nice undead version of Mantic's Bassileans.

• Like 3