Sign in to follow this  
Erk

PSA: I thought I just sucked at fine details

I have one of those magnifiers (sans light) but never got the hang of it. I can't figure out how you're supposed to get any depth perception through the thing! I can't tell where I'm sticking my brush!

I have a Tensor with a magnifying disc, same thing. It feels like how fish would paint. Also I keep whacking the brush handle off the lens.

Oh good... I'm not the only one who can't use magnifying glasses :lol:

I use a magnifying glass to scout. It's only much good for dots once you're actually working (at least, for me), but you can use it BEFORE the paint goes on to figure out where the brush is heading.

Yes, do get good brushes!

Raphael  8404 and Da Vinci Maestro brushes are nice as well as W&N, and a tad less expensive...

I use a head band magnifier with 4 different clip in lenses. It has a led light on it, but I never used it.

No whacking the brush handle against this like the old magnifier light!

There is a thread about magnifiers here somewhere....

George

Years bag I had a slight interest in painting, so I bought myself a 0000 brush because "hey, it might be good for little stuff. One day I'll get other brushes too! And paint!" Now that I've started painting recently ( 3 months already?! Holy poop!), I've found that it's extremely invaluable to paint on the little details, even with my unsteady hand. It might have not been a good idea to have kobolds as my very first miniatures, but I think the extra challenge of small figures will improve my work with the larger ones once I move up to those.

As for magnifiers, I bought one for small work like this, but I found the view a bit disconcerting and it's much better to find flaws with. Now I mainly use it for lighting since the lamp is brighter than anything else that I have.

I have one of those magnifiers (sans light) but never got the hang of it. I can't figure out how you're supposed to get any depth perception through the thing! I can't tell where I'm sticking my brush!

You want the magnifier with the light. I have an OTT bulb (any strong light will do), and because the bulb helped my painting and the magnifier with light was under ten bucks, I gave it a shot.

180 zombie eyeballs later, I'm recommending it. I noticed the number of times I had to repaint and touch up the eye sockets (didn't do pupils) dropped quite a bit. 

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1