What RPG accessories do you use?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always used DM screens, and I am fond of laptops and tablets. I like dice towers. I am fond of props as well.

I made troll pie once, and fed it to players. It was surprisingly successful. I had less success with "potions;" one should not feed a player something ambiguous and then talk about what MIGHT be in it, as overimaginative people can get whoopsy and vomit in your kitchen, despite the fact that it was coffee with lemon juice and a dash of rum flavoring. Guess I shouldn't have mentioned the beetles.

I am also renowned for my droolok chips, despite the fact that my players have never successfully hunted a droolok.

• Like 8

Traditionnaly:

DM screen. Not so much to hide from the players, but just to get all the most used tables. Generally I roll openly in front of the players.

¼" grid paper. For map drawing

1" grid paper. For minis scale map drawing.

Minis. Useful for combat immersion

In recent years:

Laptop/tablet. Access to all rules and references.

Hero Labs. For a DM and character building is a must buy! At least someone around the table should have it.

Initiative tracker. My last group used it, and it was surprisingly useful to use those little magnetic strips.

White board. Laid flat on the game table, as an alternative to erasable maps.

Ceiling mounted projector. Why draw the map when you can project it!

Webcam/mike. For that one absent player (most often myself because of my work schedule).

Fantasy Battlegrounds. Online interactive virtual game table. For those times where many players can't physically be present.

Online background music. There are a lot of computer/console games, movies, or animes, that have amazing original soundtrack (OST) music that are sometimes just appropriate.

• Like 2

I've always used DM screens, and I am fond of laptops and tablets. I like dice towers. I am fond of props as well.

I made troll pie once, and fed it to players. It was surprisingly successful. I had less success with "potions;" one should not feed a player something ambiguous and then talk about what MIGHT be in it, as overimaginative people can get whoopsy and vomit in your kitchen, despite the fact that it was coffee with lemon juice and a dash of rum flavoring. Guess I shouldn't have mentioned the beetles.

I am also renowned for my droolok chips, despite the fact that my players have never successfully hunted a droolok.

Nice! DM screens are good and I've seen some really cool looking dice towers. What types of props do you use?

Glad your troll pies went over well! I imagine the hardest part is getting past the green crust with warts. :wacko:

Droolok chips!? Yum! Those Drooloks are tricky!

• Like 1

Traditionnaly:

DM screen. Not so much to hide from the players, but just to get all the most used tables. Generally I roll openly in front of the players.

¼" grid paper. For map drawing

1" grid paper. For minis scale map drawing.

Minis. Useful for combat immersion

In recent years:

Laptop/tablet. Access to all rules and references.

Hero Labs. For a DM and character building is a must buy! At least someone around the table should have it.

Initiative tracker. My last group used it, and it was surprisingly useful to use those little magnetic strips.

White board. Laid flat on the game table, as an alternative to erasable maps.

Ceiling mounted projector. Why draw the map when you can project it!

Webcam/mike. For that one absent player (most often myself because of my work schedule).

Fantasy Battlegrounds. Online interactive virtual game table. For those times where many players can't physically be present.

Online background music. There are a lot of computer/console games, movies, or animes, that have amazing original soundtrack (OST) music that are sometimes just appropriate.

Projecting the map... That's genius!

Have you played with any types of dungeons? Or do you generally stick to using grid paper? Have you used any other types of mini accessories like weapons, gold, chests, etc. to immerse yourself in ways other than combat?

Edited by dungeonlair
  • Like 2

dice

mountain of minis

graph paper

note cards

cheat sheets

crazy person conspiracy board complete with red string (I don't show the players that one)

dry erase markers and page protectors

minis I do not actually plan to use but bring so the players do not know what is coming before they get to it

status marker tokens

sometimes a non miniature prop

laser pointer (sometimes)

sometimes big laminated hex/square grid

• Like 2

Oh, well, miniatures... kind of figured that went without saying.

TROLL PIE: Begin by explaining that cooking troll meat doesn't stop the regeneration process... it only slows it. If the troll pies are not eaten, they will grow into trolls within a matter of an hour or so. When the players finally agree to eat the pies... put real pies in front of them.

Troll pie is essentially scratchmade chicken or pork pot pie, with lots of meat chunks and cream style gravy, served in a pie crust. Make several small ones... but lavish the crust dough with green food coloring. Do the same with the meat and gravy. The experience should be quintessentially GREEN. By the time the pies are eaten, the players may well be, too. Flatly refuse to explain the actual ingredients of the pies.

DROOLOK CHIPS: Begin by having a local inn or restaurant offer a special on droolok chips. Hammer it down sufficiently that the players order some. Then put the real basket on the game table. Have the innkeeper explain that a local ranger got lucky -- drooloks are good eating, but fiendishly cunning beasts, and it's more often the hunter loses. Drooloks are large herbivores with lots of horns and pointy bits, but they aren't averse to a meaty snack.

As to the actual chips themselves, the players will either recognize them immediately, or have no clue what they're eating. Begin with a can of Spam. Slice it thinly, down the narrow end, to produce thin rectangular slices. Carve each slice into a crescent, leaving as little leftover Spam as possible. Spray a skillet with a thin layer of cooking spray, and fry the crescents on each side until crunchy. Drain on folded paper towels, and allow to cool. Serve in a bowl with a nice checkered napkin. Droolok chips have a crunchy bacony note to their flavor, but the texture is unlike anything you've ever eaten, unless you're a fan of Spam. My players, being unfamiliar with Spam, tried to figure out what droolok meat really was for YEARS.

And when moving through the woods at night, from time to time, they would hear the bellowing honk of a faraway droolok. They never caught one, though...

• Like 8

Minis, HeroLab, Dwarven Forge dungeons, a 47" TV on the wall behind me and a laptop to show ambiance photos.

Dwarven Forge has some really awesome dungeons! What types of minis do you have?

Reaper Bone and Metal, Ral Partha, Dark Fable, Genadier, et. al.  I've been collecting for 25 years.

• Like 4

I use stuff like:

• Minis - Since I've gone gridless, I stick to the following basing scheme (for DnD sizes): Small/Medium - 30mm, Large - 40mm, Huge - 50mm, Gargantuan - 80mm, Colossal - 100mm, Colossal+ - 120mm. (It also works for the Iron Kingdoms RPG, only I leave out the 80mm and 100mm sizes.)
  • DM Screens - I keep my notes back here (also my laptop, if my notes happen to be digital). I roll dice to the side of the screen so everyone can see the rolls, though.
  • Terrain - Papercraft. I've gone all papercraft for terrain, except for a very few non-papercraft pieces that I own. (28mm terrain printed at 115% on 11"x14" paper is just barely larger than 32mm scale, which is IKRPG scale.)
  • Dry Erase Board - For when terrain just doesn't cut it (or we're in a dungeon; I have a shameful lack of papercraft dungeons).
  • Scratch Paper - For writing things.
  • 3"x5" cards - For passing notes to the players. Sometimes there is even writing on them, but they're mostly for my ringer to produce paranoia within the group.
  • Dice - Pretty self-explanatory, here.
  • Pencils - No pens at my table.
  • Props - Sometimes I use props. Scraps of notes, pieces of maps, drawings of places, or other things.
  • Counters - For Hero Points and Villain Points. Players need a tangible way to track these.
  • John Wick's Play Dirty and Play Dirty 2 - These will always, alwaysALWAYS be behind my DM screen with me.
  • Like 3

Have used:

Virtual tabletops

Whiteboards

Dry Erase Mats

Dungeon Tiles TM

One inch grid chart paper

Printed Tiles

Self Made PDF terrain

Hand Drawn Maps

DM Screens

Self Made GM Screens

Ruled Notebooks packed with campaign notes

"One Note" (learning this application will enrich your life)

Printed handouts

Music

Minis

Clue Board Game Pieces

Self Made Tokens

Official Tokens

Sorry Pawns

Up to and including 15 sets of polyhedral dice for myself in one session.

Mechanical Pencils

Manual Pencils

Pens

Glass Counters / Beads

Elastic Bands

Paper Clips

--------------------

What do I wish I could have?

Lots of time for prep & painting

Hirst Arts stuff, cast and molded.

That graveyard set from the Bones III kickstarter

About $400,000 in Dwarven Forge / Stones / That other guys terrain project / that other guys terrain project

Time to hand draw and colour maps

Players that could, were willing, would reliably drive to my house and participate in the basement.

(but I live on the moon, so there is little to no chance of visitation)

All of my current minis painted, by me

• Like 3

Ive use and have used

Miniatures: from just about any source you can think of.

Paizo's Combat pad:  this thing is a must

Chessex Mats:  Been a staple most of the time..

Paizo terrain mats:  Pretty good for generic places.  I also use the basic terrain ones like water which is handy.

WOTC Map tiles:  Ive used some of the outdoor pieces but for dungeons these are not the best.

Dwarven Forge:  These are great I just regret not getting pre-painted....

Lap Top: I mostly use to read my notes and modules that I've either created or altered.  I also keep my monster stats on here that Ive edited.

Gale Force 9 D&D spell decks for 5E: I got 2 of each deck.  One I put into a folder for quick referece and the others I let my players of those class use.  These are awesome!

Hero Lab: I did use ths for pathfinder but Since moving on to 5E I've been hoping they release a 5E generator or at the very least someone does.  (WOTC promised to but they never keep their promises)

3D Terrain: I try to use as often as I can.  Mostly to show elevation but I admit it seems most of it isn't designed to place minis on  By that I mean trees or small raised catwalks that are not scifi.

• Like 1