Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So...gonna make this a WIP though it's technically done as of yesterday. At the risk of becoming the "birdhouse guy" I opted to skip the registry of household (comm)oddities and make a bluebird nesting box for my friends' wedding. I think they'll appreciate it.
I wanted a kind of whimsical, cottage style--the crazy roof being the focus. After much perusing of images of "fairy house," "magic cottage," and the like I settled on a basic design. I used a jigsaw to cut out the front and back walls from 1/2" plywood. Side walls are similarly non-square. Wood glue and finishing nails later and I had a frame.
While that dried I soaked some 5mm (1/4") plywood in hot water long enough to soften it and bent it slowly onto the frame, clamped it for a day, and glued and nailed. Repeated for the other side. The two sides of ply were differently happy to take a curve so I acquiesced to the wood. Some peeling of the outer ply occurred, but later I scraped that off.
For the rocks, I took some "river pebbles" from the local big box hardware store, rinsed off the dust and began applying with heavy duty landscaping adhesive (might have actually been Liquid Nails brand--I've used it before for the same effect). Let these cure and catch up with other life for a few days then on to the other sides!
Here's the finished product. I made this as a wedding gift for some friends. I think they'll dig it and maybe you will too.
More moss! I added a stained bottom for easy attachment to a post. I also decided to enrich the wood of the door and slapped some wood stain on it for depth of color. The metal I roughed up a bit with sandpaper and sprayed with a solution of salt, hydrogen peroxide, and vinegar to speed oxidation. Though the ridge cap is galvanized steel and the chimney is aluminum, so who knows what that oxidation will actually look like! Questions, comments, critiques always welcome!
Hi all. I just finished the Colossal Skeleton that I've had for a couple years now. For the longest time I was holding off because I was afraid of doing a mini so much bigger than all the rest. I've gotten some nice reviews on some of my recent stuff so I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at my first large figure. I have several sets much larger than even this guy so I had to start somewhere. The closeup pics show how much work I did on the fur for the back lioncloth as well as the wood grain lines I painted on the planks on his right thigh. I based him on a wooden plaque my mom was getting rid of that I painted black. I was doing more work on the base, it was supposed to have some more colours in it but I messed up on the drybrushing so I called it finished and hid the mistake with some static grass . So far one friend has told me the blue rags pull him out of the mini because they look too new and blue while the rest of him is old and rotted. Maybe he could do with some more staining on the blue but it doesn't bother me much. Anyways, enough preamble, I hope you all like him enough as my first large mini!
Edit: forgot to apologize for the make-believe "lightbox" photos, but that's how it goes.
I know about the craft article on filling a bucket with sand and spraying foam in the space carved out. I don't have a ton of time so didn't do that. I DID take a few sheets of parchment paper, a few sections of plastic fruit containers lined with parchment paper, and sprayed a can's worth of expanding insulation foam to make some hills.
Because of needing to get by with a stroller, foam was packed up after an hour to continue curing.
In a few days I'll seal with brown craft paint and modgepodge, then experiment with flocking.
Who's Online 40 Members, 3 Anonymous, 154 Guests (See full list)
- Reverend Shartan
- Disciple of Sakura
- Cranky Dog
- Chris Palmer