lazylich

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can easily fix the armpits.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

The rust effect is great and I love the skin.

Also you paint eyes, bonus points for that.

You're doing very well.

Basing can be very effective with minimal efforts.

Glue this guy to a base. apply PVA ( white glue for wood) on the base and dip it into a pile of railroad modelling sand.

Let it dry, shake of excess.

Then spray a little sealer on this, MATT...

Then paint the sand if you want.

Maybe add a tuft of static grass or something or a tiny rock.

Try and learn, before you know it, you will be basing all miniÅ› and start to add things..

• Like 5

First of all, he looks wonderful! The rust is spot on! I am going to have to follow your directions and try this out on something. The shading on the skin is nice.

There are lots of basing tutorials on the web, on youtube, in these forums, etc. Or if you see someone base that you like, ask them how they did it. Everyone here would be happy to share. Or check out the Works in progress. Many people include their basing techniques with their projects.

Seriously, this is nice work!

• Like 1

Looks really good to me.  The metal is perfect--like a rusted old bucket on a bulldozer.

What Xherman said:  glue him to something (round base, preferably), glue, sand, and a rock.  Paint the lot kind of desert-y (dark brown dusted to dun or beige) or plop 1-3 urchins (the pre-clumped static grass things) around him.

• Like 2

Funny thing, before reading your intro, I thought what a SPLENDID job you did on the flesh tones. The rust is also STRIKING. Your brushwork & color choices are TERRIFICGREAT WORK!

Basing is a favorite with moi. It sets the mini in a place & time, enhancing the painting. It's actually quite easy to do. Be warned though; i.e., it is one of the more addictive parts of the craft.

• Like 3

The best advice to give about basing is to just have fun with it. Even if it's just simple, you'll learn a lot from it, and there'll always be another mini to try new stuff on. I think you did fantastic work with the rust effects. The link that I have at the bottom shows some great techniques and tips for painting rust effects on a figure. I have to say, though, that the effects those technical paints can do, you've already done just with your own talent. Great job and keep them coming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px18NSorf1g

Looks great.  And yeah, basing is just an exercise in spending money once you really get into it.  It's actually one of my favourite things to do now.

For the basic ground, there are a ton of options.  I use plaster, then add rocks with little piles of GF9 basing grit in the fine and medium grits, though I think I'm alone in that.  Some people also use golden pumice gel (I use it for doing desert bases, it can be painted to be anything though), and plenty of people will swear by just putting down a thin layer of glue and dumping a handful of sand on there, then painting it up to whatever terrain you desire.  That's the cheapest way, and it's hard to argue with the results.  Paint it up the way you like, attach your mini, and seal it with a coat of matte varnish.

For plants, I'd recommend going to woodland scenics and sceneryexpress, just browse through and pick up any foliage that interests you.  My recommendations would be going to sceneryexpress, get the clumps of buffalo grass from the grass tufts section (~$20), then head over to the flower section and pick up an assortment pack ($10), and a 6mm <pick a color> tuft sheet ($7).  They're a bit pricey, but they go a looooong way.  Finally, a 3.5oz (100mL) container of your preferred static grass color or colors (usually about $5 each, I got mine from GF9 but static grass is pretty much the same no matter who it's from).  You'll get enough from that for hundreds of beautiful bases.  Optional additions would be from Woodland Scenics:  a medium green Fine Leaf Foliage (unparalleled for bushes and small plants, but expensive, I think around $20 for a pretty huge box) and some Field Grass from that's suitable for doing any long grass or reeds and is about $5 a bag.  All this stuff will attach fine to the base with white glue.

A side note, basing Bones is a bit of a pain because I haven't found anything but superglue will hold them to a base, and they don't want to stick to anything but a plastic base.  Once your base is painted up the way you want, VERY CAREFULLY cut the figure off at the bottom of the feet, then glue it down to the base, pinning if necessary.  Touch up any paint (superglue will sometimes discolor it when it dries) and then attach foliage at the very end.

• Like 2